A Heart On The Mend

Ch.3: Lose control

“Dr. Ashley?” A nurse trotted behind Faith, but she wasn’t really listening. Actually, her brain was still at home for all she knew. “Dr. Ashley.” The nurse insisted and Faith shook her head.

“I’m sorry. What?”

“I was telling you your surgeries for this afternoon have been reprogrammed.”

Faith raised an eyebrow. “What? Why?”

“Dr. Wentz and Dr. Ross--” The nurse started and Faith rolled her eyes and kept walking, making way to the OR.

“Ash!” Pete Wentz got startled when Faith irrupted into the now empty OR.

“Where is my patient, Wentz?” Faith asked crossing her arms on her chest. Wentz wasn’t alone, but she didn’t think it was necessary to even look at Ryan for the time being.

“4th floor, room 408. Having lunch, if I’m not mistaken.” Ryan deadpanned, not lifting his eyes from the chart he was reading.

“Well, he’s supposed to be here being anesthetized.”

“Well, he’s not.” Wentz added. Faith bit the inside of her cheek, fighting not to hit Pete on the crotch.

“Yeah, I can see that. Now if you could tell me why…”

Ryan got up from his chair and gave Pete a nod, making him leave. Faith stared at him blankly.

“I know what happened this morning.” Ryan started. Faith huffed and looked away, rubbing her face. “We thought it was better--” He tried to continue, but she didn’t let him.

“You have no right to tell me when I should or shouldn’t operate, Ross. Not you, nor Wentz. You had no right to reschedule my surgeries.”

“We do. Wentz is chief whether you like it or not, but if you must know, it was me who told him to do it.”

“That’s just great then.”

“Ash, one of your patients died this morning while you were operating on him. Excuse me for thinking you’re not in the right conditions to have a full board right now.” Faith said nothing and fell on one of the chairs. “Why didn’t you call me?” Ryan said getting close and sitting beside her.

“What for? So you could suspend my procedures earlier?”

“You know what I mean…”

“I just didn’t, okay? You had to work last night and I wasn’t waking you up for this.”

“Well, I would’ve liked being woken up.”

Faith bit her lip and looked at Ryan, a million explanations jumbling in her tongue. The pregnancy, her lack of sleep, her lack of food, her morning sickness and her constant exhaustion, a million reasons why it was her fault the patient died that morning. She started pacing and Ryan followed her.

“Talk to me, please…” Ryan said sweetly, stroking both of her arms. “I know you’re not sleeping lately, nor eating…” Faith opened her mouth to speak, but didn’t know exactly what to say.

“I’ll be fine. I- I’ll just go home and get some sleep, okay?”

“Why don’t you call someone to cover up for you tonight? Hmm?” Ryan suggested, he didn’t want her working after all these. Faith shook her head.

“I said I’ll be fine. I rather be working anyways.” She turned and gave a deep sigh, leaning on the surgery table; Ryan came behind her and hugged her waist, nuzzling her neck.

“You know? I’ve always had this fantasy… in the OR… lean you against the table…” He explained at the same time he kissed her neck softly, making her giggle.

“Are you trying to make me feel better?”

“Whatever works.” Both giggled now, but their moment was interrupted by the nurse of the OR.

“Excuse me. Dr. Wentz is going to make use of this OR since Dr. Ashley’s patients were suspended.” Keltie Colleen spoke, making Ryan jump away from Faith.

“Hi, Keltie…”

“Yeah, whatever the boss wants.” Faith said, rolling her eyes at Ryan. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” She said to him and left the room.