Sequel: Finding Alex
Status: Completed.

Finding Jane

Chapter Three

I didn’t know what to say to Alex when he said that. I felt two completely different emotions. Confusion, because he usually only spoke to teachers and now he was talking to me. And excitement, the happy kind, because I felt the metaphorical unfinished puzzle start to fit together. And so, as Alex sat there, looking at me expectantly for an answer, I chose to stay silent and twiddle nervously with my fingers. I couldn’t explain to you, even now, why I got suddenly nervous. It was as if the action of Alex speaking to me caused a chain reaction in my stomach, causing my stomach to erupt with butterflies. At the time, I put it off as hunger, as I had yet to touch my lunch yet, but to this day, I’m not so sure I was correct in my assumption.

Alex continued staring at me for a few more seconds before sighing lightly, probably hoping I wouldn’t hear it, and saying, “I have to go.” I nodded slightly and he stood up and ruffled his brown hair before walking back to his lunch table, to sit as he always did: alone.

I felt bad for not saying anything, but for some reason I wasn’t able to open my mouth and speak. It felt like a curse. And I didn’t know what to do to reverse it.

“What was that all about?” Sara questioned, taking a seat next to me, a tray full of salad and apple juice in her hands.

“I honestly don’t know,” I replied. Suddenly, I didn’t feel like eating anymore. I turned to Sara. “Do you want my lunch?”

She glanced at my tray, which contained a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a bag of Fritos and a strawberry milk, with a disgusted look. “No thank you.” Figures, I thought. She’s such a health freak.

“But I don’t want to waste it.” I guess we all have our quirks. Sara wants to eat healthy, and I want to save the Earth.

“Then go give it to Alex,” Sara replied, like it was the most obvious answer in the world.

I was shocked. “What? I’ve never talked to the guy before, and you’re insinuating that I should just go over there and give him my lunch?”

She shrugged. “Pretty much.”

But before I could even start to think about her crazy proposition, a girl I’d never seen before came up to our table. “Jane, hi. You don’t know me, but I just wanted to say that I’m extremely sorry about your mother.”

“Thanks,” I replied. But I really wasn’t thankful. Honestly, I had forgotten about my mother for awhile there. It’s amazing what a mysterious guy and a strange compliment can do to you.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shortest chapter so far in the story.
BAHAHA.
But I still love it to death.
For Emily because it's her birffday (;
Feedback? (: