Crash

Prologue

Some say that I’m crazy. Some say that I am undeniably out of my mind. But I think they are the crazy ones for even insinuating that I was any of those things. Being told from age eight that I was never normal, or that I thought differently than everyone else would probably be the only cause for me to actually be that way. I’ve never been treated the way I was supposed to be treated.

Especially by him.

So, as I gripped the steering wheel with my hands, causing my knuckles to turn white, I drove down the long dirt road away from his house and away from everything he had once promised me. Those promises were now distant memories of disappointments, long nights, and wasted efforts. He didn’t love me, he thought I was just as crazy as everyone else did, and I was going to show him just how crazy I could be.

I turned a sharp corner too fast, causing half of my father’s Mercedes Benz to lift up in midair and then plop right back down on four tires again. My shoulder hit the side of my car hard, causing it to erupt in pain, but I didn’t pay any attention to it, and kept driving. The thick trees of the forest seemed to bend and shape themselves, aligning the road that I was going at least 80 miles per hour on. My tires skidded loudly with every razor-sharp turn I made.

I groaned as I spotted an SUV in front of me, driving slowly. It was probably a family, enjoying their day, not even aware of anything else that was going on around them. Not aware of anyone else that could possibly be suffering. They were probably on a camping trip, laughing, smiling. They were probably happy.

I swerved onto the opposite side of the road and drove passed them and then cut in front of them, going faster with each inch of road I trekked. I was getting closer to the tree. The tree where everything had once began, and now where everything would come to a tragic end.

I turned one last corner until slowing down to see the enormous Giant Sequoia, standing, staring, peering at me. Egging me on. Encouraging me to do what I have wanted to do for years.

Already going 40 miles per hour, I stepped on the gas and my car jolted forward at its maximum speed, weaving through different trees, but yet heading straight for the Sequoia. I closed my eyes tight and screamed as my engine got louder and louder and soon enough, all that could be heard within the dense forest was a loud, piercing crash.