My Love Note Has Gone Flat

Chapter Two

The days went by a lot quicker than we anticipated. Sam and I got the baby's room set up once we found out it was a boy, and it was quite adorable. Both of us were ecstatic to get little Frankie, which was the name picked out for him. Linda didn't exactly want to give him up, but she was very happy that she would still get to see him as much as she pleased. We also agreed that Frank would know Linda was his mother; we just didn't know what to tell him when he asked why he lived with Sam and I and not his real mother.

But, as I said, time went by fast. It wasn't long until I got a call from the hospital from Linda, informing us that she had gone into labor. I quickly grabbed my purse and Sam and I ran out the door, into the car. On our way to the hospital, I grabbed his hand and squeezed it tightly.

"I'm nervous. What if he knows Linda is his mommy and he doesn't want us? What if he cries for her?" I asked Sam. I was thinking too critically, I was too nervous.

"Babe, he's a new born. Everyone he sees will be new, and he won't think anything about it." Sam reassured me, smiling as he pulled into a parking place at the hospital. I nodded and got out, then headed inside. We navigated ourselves to the room that was read off to us, and there was Linda on the hospital bed, her mother and father by her side. I dropped my purse on a nearby chair and joined her side, taking her sweaty hand.

"Charlie! I'm so glad you came..." She said, smiling at me, then gritting her teeth. A doctor came in shortly after and nodded at a nurse, telling her it was time. Her mother went with her to the delivery room, but her father, Sam and I weren't allowed back. We took our seats in the waiting room outside of the delivery ward. Sam put his arm around my shoulders and kissed my head lightly. Linda's father sat with his arms crossed and began dozing off. I leaned my head on Sam's shoulder and closed my eyes.

I ended up falling asleep as well. The last thing I heard was Sam telling me he loved me, then my eyes shut and sleep took over. I don't remember dreaming, but when someone nudged me and told me Frankie was born, I thought I was dreaming. It just seemed too surreal. But, I did wake up, and saw Sam standing up, holding his hands out towards me. I ran my fingers through my hair, then stood up and took Sam's hand, walking to the nursery. My hands were shaky, and when I stood in the doorway and asked for Frank Iero, I was stunned when I was handed the beautiful baby boy. I cradled him gently in my arms and smiled with tears in my eyes. He already had beautiful, dark hair and glowing hazel eyes.

Sam stood behind me and stroked Frank's head gently, grinning. "Look how handsome he is."

"He's beautiful..." I mumbled, reluctantly handing him to Sam. I couldn't take my eyes off of the baby's face, and neither could Sam. The nurse finally took him from us and laid him back in the bed, and we went to Linda's room. She smiled at us and I gave her a huge hug.

"He's absolutely gorgeous, Lin." I told her

"I haven't gotten to see him, do you think they'll bring him in?" She asked

"I'm sure they will. You probably need to rest though." And at that moment, the small bed was rolled in with a sleeping Frankie in it. Linda sat up some more and her jaw dropped when she got a good look at him. Tears gathered in her eyes as she picked him up and held him close to her.

I knew it'd be hard for her to give him up.