‹ Prequel: Story of My Life

All Grown Up

Day One of recording in LA

August 25, 2012 6:00am

“Wake up Leah!” Kane said laying on me. I groaned and pushed him to the side.

“Kane, go away.” I said pulling the blanket over my head.

“We start recording in two hours! Get up right now.” He said pulling the blanket off my head.

“I’m up asshole!” I said. He smiled in amusement.

“That’s just great sis.” He said walking out.

God, I can’t believe my little brother is 15 years old! He’s so grown up. I took a shower and got dressed for the day. I went into the kitchen to see my brothers sitting at the island drinking coffee from star bucks.

“You got me one right?” I asked.

“Oh sorry. We forgot.” Kane said.

“Are you serious?” I asked pissed. He laughed and handed me mine.

“You are so mean Kane.” I said huffing and going into the living room.

“Somebody’s PMSing.” I heard him say.

“Fuck you Kane. I’m not PMSing. I’m just pissed at you.” I said. No more than 5 seconds later, we both burst out laughing. We always do this when we fight. It’s weird, I know.

“Alright weirdo’s, let’s go.” Dylan said laughing.

We all got in Dylan’s Car and headed to the recording studio where we were gonna meet up with Rick, our producer and engineers and everyone else. We soon got there and met up with them. We introduced ourselves and got to work.

(3 hours later)

“You guys work fast. You hardly make any mistakes.” Our producer Bruce said.

“Yeah. We tend to do that.” Cole said laughing.

The rest of the time at the studio consisted of just tracking. Laying down vocals, guitars, bass, and drums. Tomorrow was just bass and drums so Cole and I didn’t have to go in.

“See you guys tomorrow.” Bruce said to Kane and Dylan.

“What time do you guys have to go in?” I asked them.

“9:00am. Not as early as today.” Dylan said.

“I bet your gonna take your time off to see Brian.” Kane teased.

“Yes I am sir and I’m gonna enjoy every second of it.” I smiled at him.

“I’m gonna spend the day with my girl.” Cole said.

“I’m surprised she didn’t tag along with you.” I said.

“She was but then she realized she’d be alone waiting for us or sitting in the studio all day.” He said.

“So did Bri.” I said.

We soon got to our apartment and collapsed on the couch in the living room. It was around 9:00pm and we were exhausted from playing tracks over and over and over again.

“I’m going to bed.” Kane said.

“Night Kane.” We all said.

“You wanna hit the clubs Cole?” I asked chuckling.

“Not without the guys here.” He said. I nodded.

“What are you guys gonna do tonight?” Dylan asked.

“You wanna hit a movie?” Cole asked me.

“Sure.” I said.

“Well have fun with that. See you tomorrow or the next day.” Dylan said going to his bedroom.

“See what’s playing at the movies.” I told Cole. He nodded and grabbed his apple macpro air.

“Alright, there’s Hot Tub Time Machine, Iron Man 2, Date Night, Furry Vengeance, Robin Hood, Clash of The Titans, Letters to Juliet, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Kick Ass.” He said looking at me.

“Let’s see A Nightmare on Elm Street again.” I said.

“Alright. It starts in about a half hour so we better get going.” He said shutting his laptop. We walked out the front door and got into his car, heading to the movies.

“Two for A Nightmare on Elm Street.” Cole said. The woman gave him two tickets as cole gave her the money.

“You want anything?” He asked pointing to the snack line.

“Duh.” I said smiling. He smiled and rolled his eyes as we walked over there. As I walked through, I grabbed some nachoes and cheese for us to share, a soft pretzel, and we got popcorn and drinks. Cole paid for the stuff and we sat down and waited for the movie to start.

(2 hours later; 12:00am)

“That movie gets me every time.” I said as we walked out to his car. The parking lot was almost deserted and it was scary dark out.

“I could tell.” Cole said chuckling.

“I seen you flinch a couple times.” I said as we got into his car.

“It was loud.” He said defending himself.

“So, what time are we waking up to go back to Huntington tomorrow?” I asked flipping through the radio stations.

“Why? Can’t wait to see you Brian?” He asked all mushy like.

“Maybe.” I said smiling. I miss him.

“Around 10 I guess. We got all day in Huntington and we don’t have to go to the studio til noon the next day.” He said.

I found Three Days Grace’s song ‘Break’ on the radio and sat back in my seat. We soon got back to our apartment and went straight to bed.