Sequel: Our Next Move
Status: completed :D

We Were Both Young When I First Saw You

Dinner Conversations

After staring into Matt's eyes for what seems like an eternity, my mom interrupted my thoughts thanks Mom
"OK, dinner is ready!"

Oh right, dinner, that is why he's here! Duh, Ashlyn! Man, I feel so stupid now. We all walked to the dining room, where mom had made many Southern dishes. she is from a small town in North Carolina

She made shrimp and grits, homemade macaroni and cheese, meat loaf and she even made sweet tea (something that since she does not make it that often here, I have only when I visit my grandparents in North Carolina).

I went to put my stuff in my "spot" again and as fate would have it, Matt said he would next to me. I could feel the butterflies in my stomach as he claimed that seat. I got my food (a little bit of everything) and sat down and waited.

The boys looked at me like I had sea shells where my ears would be. I quickly explained that in our family, we waited for everyone to get a plate and then we would say the blessing. They quickly nodded and then took one look at the shrimp and grits and looked so confused and asked my mom,

"what is that?"

My mom said it was shrimp and grits and that it is a dish from the Low Country of South Carolina, where her grandparents lived.
They were all silent and then Zacky said,

"can I just have shrimp and a grit?"

Once he said that, I laughed so hard I thought I would stop breathing. I knew people from California had not heard of grits before but to ask for "one grit" was simply priceless. While I was recovering, my mom said,

"no Zacky, they are called grits, and they do not come in single form, unless you want one little corn grain."

Once everyone got their food (Zacky decided to try the shrimp and grits, after all) and sat down, my dad said it was time for the blessing. I closed my eyes and bowed my head. He prayed,

"dear God, we thank you for Avenged Sevenfold and for their talents, which You have blessed them with. Thank you for choosing to become a part of the WB Records family, we welcome them with open arms. Continue to bless and help Ashlyn during her Senior year, help her to stay focused. Bless this food for the nourishment of our bodies and our bodies to Your service, Amen."

Right after the prayer, Johnny said,

"so, you are a Senior, right?"

"Yeah," I said, "I go to Village Christian School. I don't know what I am going to do after graduation though. I know college is normal but I don't think that is where God wants me to go. I am working with my Dad sometimes but I don't know what exactly I want to do."

"That's okay,"

Daddy said,

"I will be proud of you no matter what you choose to do."

Syn looked at Matt and then looked at me and asked,

"so, do you have a boyfriend?"

I blushed and said,

"no, I have yet to have a boyfriend, because I know that any boy who wanted to date me would have to go through my dad, he is very protective of me. Also, I think all the boys at VCS are scared of my dad because he is the head of WB Records."

I thought that question was a little random and I was going to ask Syn what he meant by that but my Dad was already discussing music with the boys. So I was left in my own head thinking 'why would Syn ask me that and what in the world did that glance at Matt mean?'
After what seemed like another eternity, my dad spoke and snapped me from my trance,

"so what do you think Ashlyn?"

huh?! What in the world was he talking about?

Since I was confused and I am sure it showed on my face, I asked my dad,

"I'm sorry Daddy, what?"

He spoke again,

"I said, what do you think about going to the beach with the boys? I want them to get to know you a little more since you will be working with them."

I thought quickly (and couldn't help but think about how Matt would look in a bathing suit, swoon!) and said,

"Sure but when?"

My dad looked at me then looked at the boys,

"is tomorrow good for everyone?"

Everyone nodded, so he said,

"tomorrow it is then."

I quickly thought and voiced my concern,

"what time should I be ready?"

The boys looked at my dad and then Jimmy "The Rev" said,

"we can be ready by 10:00 and over here by 10:20, is that OK?"

"sure,"

my dad said,

"meet here at 10:20 and leave at 10:30 with Patrick"

Although I said

"sure",

in my head I was thinking about was that I had to wake up "early" on a Saturday. But, I guess if I get to see Matt in a bathing suit, I will make sure to wake up early on a Saturday morning, no questions asked.

Before I knew it, it was 9:30 p.m. and I had to call Courtney before I went to bed! Once the boys left Matt looked at me in the eyes and smiled again before he left, swoon, could anyone be more perfect?, I rushed up to my room and almost tripped over Kisses.

I quickly apologized and jumped on my bed to call Courtney. As soon as she answered I quickly relayed what had just happened. I told her about how cute Matt is, how he is in a band and how we were all going to the beach tomorrow! She squealed into the phone and then we got to talking about what we had done since school and before we knew it, it was 11:00 p.m.

I told her I had to shower and got to bed, but on Sunday at church we would talk about the beach! I showered and changed into my pyjamas and walked back into my room. I saw Kisses curled up into a little ball and sleeping on my bed already.

I climbed into my bed, careful not to disturb Kisses, said my prayers (and added a special thank you to God for bringing Avenged Sevenfold into my life) and turned off the light. I dreamed of Matt and couldn't wait for tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know some of you won't get the "grit" joke, but if you are from the South you will. I am from the South and this actually happened to my mom. One of her friends asked if she could have "one grit". I know I planned for the beach trip this chapter but this took longer than I thought so the next chapter will be the beach trip I promise.