Sequel: Our Next Move
Status: completed :D

We Were Both Young When I First Saw You

I Keep on Waiting...

*Fast Forward to Friday, September 12, 2003*

Well, it has been exactly one week since I met Matt and the boys. Six days since I have seen him. Since that night, we have talked on the phone, but as everyone knows, talking on the phone and actually seeing the person are two very different things.

On Sunday, I talked with Courtney, she was so happy but I could feel that she was a little jealous. On Monday, it was back to school. The week passed slowly and I know what we did, but all I could think about was if and when Matt would call to "set up an appointment" with Daddy to see about our first date.

I was also worried about what Daddy would even say when he met with Matt. I was so stressed/worried, I almost sprained my ankle during ballet practice when I came down from my pointe.

Now it is Friday night, 9:00 P.M. and I am in my room just staring at the phone, hoping it will ring and Matt's name will appear on the Caller ID. Daddy has yet to call me into his office to "talk" all week. His office is where most of the important talks I have had in my life have occurred.

The only exception was the "Bob" talk, that happened in my mother's spa/study room (for obvious reasons). I was torn away from my thoughts about the phone when I heard scratch sounds on my door, and knew it was one of my dogs. Since I was already in my pajamas, I decided to go to bed and let which ever dog was outside my door cuddle with me on my
bed.

When I opened the door, I saw not only Pooh Bear, but Tigger and Kisses, too! I shook my head and immediately knew what happened, Kisses and Tigger had mentally coaxed Pooh Bear into scratching at my door in order to get me to open it and so she would get to cuddle and then they would get to tag along, silly dogs.

As soon as I got the door open enough for all three of them, they ran into my room and jumped onto my bed. I looked at them, (they were already "kneading" the bed, trying to get comfortable) and said,

"where am I supposed to sleep?"

Sure they are small dogs and I have a queen sized bed, but they can take up a lot of room when they want to.

Well, once they were comfortable (and surprisingly, they didn't take up a lot of room this time), I walked over to my door, cracked it a little (so they could come and go as they pleased during the night) and turned off the light. My bedside lamp was the only source of light in my room now.

I said a quick prayer (adding "God please let Matt call while I am asleep”), said goodnight to Pooh Bear, Kisses and Tigger, kissed them goodnight and turned off the bedside lamp.

Tigger looked at me with his head cocked as if to say,

"I hope you have something else planned, I am not sleeping in silence.”

So I grabbed the TV/DVD remote and turned on the TV. I immediately turned on the sleep timer (so the TV would turn off while I slept and wouldn't be on all night long!) and decided to keep the DVD that was in the DVD player inside. I decided this for two reasons; 1) I did NOT want to disturb the three dogs who were trying to sleep on my bed and 2) Veggie tales rocks!

The Veggie tales in my DVD player was the newest one, "The Ballad of Little Joe", and it has quickly become one of my favourites, if only for the fact that the Silly Song, "Belly Button" was the funniest Silly Song yet (well, besides "Endangered Love”). I heard the theme song and the opening countertop and part of the first "short" and then fell asleep (I must have been more tired than I thought!).

When I woke up the next morning at 11 and went downstairs, I saw that Daddy was not in the living room or dining room. Since Saturdays are his "free days" he usually watches sports in the living room until Mama says

"James, I am sure that people in Canada do not need to hear about how 'bad' that call/play was."

After that, he usually retreats to his "Man room", which is near the pool house and he can be as loud as he wants to be. I highly doubt that Mama had already made Daddy move because 1) it was only 11 A.M. and I don't know of any games that would be on this early and 2) I may sleep "like a log" but when my dad gets "into" a game, let's just say, I am glad we do not have many neighbours.

When I finally found Mama in the kitchen, I asked where Daddy was. She said

"Daddy is in his office with someone and he does not want to be disturbed."

I felt the butterflies that usually came from knowing Matt was near start to come into my stomach.

'NO!',

I told myself,

'don't get yourself worked up, it could be anyone, Brian, Johnny, Jimmy, Zacky or even that weird guy from WB, Alfred shudders.

After waiting nervously and patiently (very hard for me to do, by the way, I am VERY impatient when it comes to some things), for 2 hours in my room do not worry, I had lunch/breakfast, I heard Daddy's voice over the intercom system,

"Ashlyn, can you please come to my office?"

I started to feel the butterflies make their way back into my stomach and I could feel my insides turn to mush. I started walking toward Daddy's office, each step of my foot felt like it weighed 1000 lbs. As soon as I opened the door and walked in, Daddy said,

"Sit down Ashlyn, there is something that I need to talk to you about."