Sequel: Our Next Move
Status: completed :D

We Were Both Young When I First Saw You

Warmness on the Soul

Friday September 26, 2003

Finally, after about a week and a half of looking at Matt's "application", Daddy finally called me into his office on Wednesday. He looked at me with a serious face and started shaking his head. Oh no! This cannot be happening, I thought we were meant to be and if Daddy doesn't even let me date him, I don't know what I will do!

"Well Ashlyn, after reading Matt's application and praying about it for a week,

my eyes are starting to well up with tears now

I have decided to let him take you out on a date, I believe that even though he is older than you and has those tattoos and even a couple piercings, I feel that if I say no, it will not only be awkward when I see him while he is recording or in a meeting with me, but I feel that your heart will be broken and you might not speak to me.”

Wow! Hurray! I wonder where we are going?

"Matt has already picked out your date, but I won't tell where you are going, that is Matt's job. He will be here on Saturday at 11:00 A.M., so be prepared. I will only give you two hints Yes! I love hints about suprises!,

1. You are going to Long Beach Long Beach, really? I haven't been there in a long time, and 2. You will like it. thanks Daddy, that was a wonderful hint, not!

Now it is Friday night,(10 P.M. ) and I am so excited I don't know if I can sleep tonight! I have already told all my friends and they are excited for me too, since I am the only one among them not to have gone on a date.

I called Matt this afternoon I did not have ballet today, the teacher was sick and when she is sick, I do not have to go, but I did practice here at home in our dance studio and asked if I could hear Avenged Sevenfold's old albums.

Matt told me that if I really wanted to I could, but to try and remember that while their old CD's are great, they hope to do even better in the future.

So, off I went to Virgin Records and bought Sounding the Seventh Trumpet and
Waking the Fallen
and started to listen to them. I must say, Matt's voice, Brian and Zacky's guitar playing, Jimmy's drumming and Johnny's bass work are so amazing! They are truly blessed and gifted. I wonder what they will do for their next album?

I took my shower and finally decided that it might be best if I at least tried to get some sleep somehow I don't think Matt would like it if I feel asleep on our first date and/or had dark circles under my eyes from not sleeping

Beep, Beep, Beep Yay! For once, I am excited it is morning! It is 9:00 A.M. on a Saturday and I am so happy, today is my date with Matt! I feel like jumping out of bed, but know I cannot because (once again) my dogs decided to spend the night in my room.

I get out of bed, go into my bathroom and take a shower. Once I am out and back in my bedroom, I notice that Kisses, Pooh Bear and Tigger are waiting at the bedroom door and looking at me like

"I want out of here if you are this hyper!"

So, while I am in my towel, I open the door just enough so that they can get out (I am not showing off my body to the whole house).

Now it is on to my closet, where I have to pick out an outfit. Decisions, decisions, why do there have to be so many choices. After about 15 minutes of looking around, I finally came up with this outfit; a white halter top, shorts, wedge sandals, and a butterfly belly ring. I also decided to already do my makeup while I was in there and put on Vera Wang's Rock Princess perfume it smells so good and how appropriate, right?.

Now it is reaching 10:10 and I better go downstairs to eat something because Daddy didn't say if we were eating lunch or dinner on this date and I am hungry! I ate my breakfast/lunch (whatever you want to call it) and then decided to hang out with Mama in the sunroom while we waited for Matt.

We talked about school and Matt until I heard the doorbell ring and Ialmost jumped out of my seat from excitement!

I walked back towards the front of the house and heard Daddy tell Matt,

"she doesn't know where you are going" and

"remember you break her heart and I will come after you".

Great Daddy, just what a boy wants to hear I walked until I got to the front door and stopped beside Daddy. Matt could only stare at me for a few seconds and I blushed and looked down at my feet, no one had ever done that before. He said,

"well Ashlyn, you look beautiful."

"Thanks, you look good too," I said.

"Well," Daddy said,

"have her back by 7 and I will be checking to make sure you are on time!" geez, where are we going that will last for 8 hours?

We walked to his car, an Escalade and he held my door open for me until I got in swoon! and then walked to his side and got in. I buckled my seatbealt and then Matt said,

"I am going to blindfold you so you don't know where we are going, trust me you will like it".

I told him,

"I trust you Matt,"

and with that my world became dark.

Thankfully he still talked to me while he was driving. We talked about Avenged Sevenfold, my school, what he liked to do, stuff you normally ask on the first date so you can get to know the other person. I finally felt the car stop and I guessed we were at our destination.

I felt Matt unbuckle my seatbelt (but did not take off my blindfold) and then get out of the car, open my door and held my hand and helped me out of the car. He told me which way to walk (since I could not see) and then after a short walk, we stopped and he said,

"take off your blindfold."

I tore it off and saw where we were, I felt like crying, we were at the Aquarium of the Pacific. I love animals and fish are maybe a close second to my favourite animal, pigs.

I told Matt,

"I haven't been here since I was 4, how did you know I liked fish?"

"Your dad told me when I was asking about places we should go on our date," he said.

I was impressed that Daddy could remember that, it was over 13 years ago. Matt grabbed my hand and we walked up and bought 2 tickets he bought my ticket too, aww! and walked into the aquarium. I am sure I looked like a little kid in a candy store because this place was just as amazing as I remembered it. We saw all the animals but my favourites had to be the penguins, the sea lions and the otters.

Before I knew it, it was 4:30 and before Matt could finish asking

"Are you hungry?"

my stomach decided to let it be known to the whole aquarium that it needed food right away!

"I guess that answers my question," Matt said.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"I heard from your dad that you like Greek food, so we are going to a Greek resturant that I know."

Wow, he is really trying to impress me today, first with the childhood memory and now Greek food, this man is truly amazing.

It took us about 10 minutes to get to Georges Greek Café, but once we got there, I felt like I was in Heaven. Greek food has been one of my favourite types of food ever since I tried it when I was 5. We put our orders in (I had a Chicken Gyro, Matt had Mousaka) and waited.

We talked some more and I must say, once I got my food, I was silent the rest of the time we were in the resturant. It was all I could focus on until I finished about half of it (that is typical of me though, I can never finish a whole plate of food when I go out to eat). Once we were both done and I got a to-go box, we noticed that it was now 6:00 and it took us about 30 minutes to get here.

We half ran/half jogged back to the car and once we got buckled in, Daddy called my cell phone and told us to make sure we were on our way because if we weren't,

"Matt can kiss his chances of a second date good-bye!"

We arrived back at my house at 6:45 (traffic slowed us down) and Matt walked me to the door and said,

"I had a really great time tonight, Ashlyn."

"Me too."

"I really hope we can do this again soon."

Then he kissed me on my cheek (I think because it was my first date with anyone and he didn't want me to feel awkward with a real kiss). I blushed and said,

"bye, call me!"

"Don't worry, I will, talk to you tomorrow after you get home from church, 2:30 ok?"

"2:30, I will be waiting, good night!"

"Good night, Ashlyn."

I walked into my house and sighed against the front door. Mama came in and said,

"Well, how was it?"

"One of the best, if not the best night of my life."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ashlyn is kind of paired after me, my favourite animal is a pig and I love Greek food. I am so sorry this took a while to get out but I really had to do some research to find out what exactly people could do on a date in L.A. (since I don't live in L.A. or California). Thank all of you so much, the readers, commenters and subscribers, without you, I don't know what I would do. I only wrote this story because courtney01 asked me if I had a story and I said I did not, but had an idea in my head. She told me to write it anyway. So here we are! Thank you Courtney! You are the best!

Title Credit: Avenged Sevenfold(it seemed appropriate for how Ashlyn feels at the end of the date)