Sequel: Our Next Move
Status: completed :D

We Were Both Young When I First Saw You

I Don't Know What to Think

Fast Forward to Saturday, February 14, 2004

Wow, I cannot believe it, Matt and I have been dating for almost 6 months. Granted it has been hard, because he has been working on the next album for Avenged Sevenfold (they have written a few songs and have started to record one or two of them but won't let me hear anything until they are "ready"). We have mostly been talking on the phone, since he is so busy but once in a while we will go out to dinner or he will come to my house and we will talk. He seems so distant but I know he isn't cheating on me, because if he is living mostly in the studio and can barely find time with me, how could he find time for another woman. School has been going great, I have been making A's and B's but trying to focus is hard but at the same time, I have to work hard, graduation is May 28. Over the past 2 weeks, Matt has come to my house, not only to talk to me but also to talk to Daddy (in private of course). I have no idea why, but I have a feeling that he might want to break up with me and is breaking it gently to my dad, then he will tell me.

So, tonight, Valentine's Day, Matt is taking me out to dinner at Bandera, a restaurant that normally my family goes to for special occasions. I am trying not to cry as I look around my closet trying to find an outfit. I keep telling myself I will not think about this, I will NOT think about Matt possibly breaking up with me I do not want to ruin my makeup. I finally found my outfit, a black dress (which might symbolize my broken heart at the end of the night), shoes and Victoria's Secret perfume called "Innocence". I also grabbed my Vera Bradley purse and id case and waited in my room until I heard the doorbell ring. I let Daddy answered it and then used the intercom to say:

"Ashlyn, come downstairs, Matt is here and ready to go."

"I'll be right down,"

I said.

I pulled myself together and looked in the mirror one last time (to check my makeup and to be sure I wasn't crying) and made my way down the stairs. I saw Matt at the end of them and he held out his hand to help me down the last 6 stairs (not because I needed help but you know like the romantic way guys do that in movies?).

"Wow Ashlyn, you look so beautiful." don't cry Ashlyn, the night is still young

"Thanks, you clean up nice too."

"Well, you kids have fun and Matt, please tell me what she says."

huh? Does he want Matt to tell him what I said when we break up, if so, Daddy knows that I will be kicking and screaming even in this dress and heels

"Will do sir."

With that, we were on our way to Bandera. Matt tried to make small talk and he seemed a bit really nervous about something. maybe he is trying to think of the best way to break up with me, since he is my first boyfriend, first date and first kiss

He helped me out of the car and interlaced our fingers as he held my hand and we walked into the restaurant. Once we sat down, a waiter came by and asked what we wanted to drink that was fast, it's as though he knew we were coming.

"We will both have water, thank you,"

Matt said.

Once the waiter left, I looked at the menu (but didn't really need to, since my family came here a lot) and Matt started to speak.

"So, Ashlyn, how is school?"

how is school??? That's what he wanted to talk about? Seriously, he can't come up with anything better?

"School is fine, I cannot believe I am graduating in three months. I have decided to not go to college, I know that everyone says I have to go but since I don't really know what I want to do, I do not see the point. I have really only wanted to be a mom and housewife. Until then, I can help Daddy or I can help you on tour, if you wanted me too, I mean."

"That is wonderful Ashlyn. That is one of the things I love about you, you are not afraid to speak your mind, did he really just say love, I mean if he is going to break up with me would he use the word love? no matter what everyone else thinks. You are passionate about what you love too, that is something not many people have, you are lucky."

But, before he could continue, the waiter came back with our waters and asked if we were ready to order. I looked at Matt, who nodded and I said,

"yes, we are ready."

I went first and ordered the "Aged and Seasoned Prime Rib served with Mashed Potatoes" and Matt ordered the "Barbecue Salmon with Green Rice and Mexican Cucumber Salad". I knew it would be a while before our food would get here so I said,

"So, how is the album going?".

"Pretty good, we have more songs written, there is one I think you will like, it's called 'The Beast and the Harlot' it's based on the book of Revelation."

"Really, that sounds great, I cannot wait to hear it."

"You might get to soon, we have yet to record it but once we go into the studio you will be one of the first people to know, besides the people that have to be there."

We continued to talk until our food arrived and then we were silent while we ate, until we were both halfway full (we both wanted to try dessert). Once the waiter arrived back, we asked for doggie bags and ordered "Banana Cream Pie with Caramel and Crushed Chocolate", it sounds so yummy! We ate it and then once we paid, we left and went to Griffith Park.

We found a quiet spot (free of any people) and I finally couldn't keep it inside anymore. I had to tell Matt.

"Matt, save me, I've been feeling so alone. I kept waiting for you but you never came, is this in my head? I don't know what to think about us anymore." I could feel the tears come as soon as I started speaking and at the end I know I was sobbing

"Oh Ashlyn, I am so sorry! I have been so torn up about how to tell you this. here we go, too bad I am already crying, I don't want to cry harder. Tegan Ashlyn Diamond, ever since the moment we met, I have felt like you are different from every other woman I have ever met. Since meeting you, no other woman can ever compare to your beauty. I know we have only been together for almost 6 months but I cannot help what my heart tells me and what I have heard God tell me. I love you and that's all I really know for sure, Tegan Ashlyn Diamond, will you marry me?

Oh my goodness gracious! Never in a million years would I have thought that would have been the reason we were going out to dinner. What do I say?

"Yes! I feel the same way!"

Matt pulled out his cell phone dialed a few numbers and once I heard the other person pick up he screamed,

"SHE SAID YES!!"

After he hung up the phone, I told him,

"Matt, I might need the ring."

"Oh, yeah, talk to you later James Daddy?, I have to put the ring on her finger."

He took off my purity ring and promised "it is still in effect but now you have a promise that you are one step closer to marrying me." in short, the purity ring even though now gone, was still in place, we were NOT having sex before our marriage

It was beautiful, it had rubies and diamonds (how did he know I am a huge fan of rubies?!).
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit and modification of lyrics: "Love Story" by Taylor Swift

Dinner Outfit
outfit
Engagement Ring
engagement ring!