Status: Slowly Active. See what's going on with my stories at http://twitter.com/Mappiesmibba

Moonflowers

Chapter 1

I lie on my bed in utter silence. Nothing could be heard from where I, Princess Aliegh, sat inside my stronghold, my safe place. The only sound I could hear was my steady breathing, and I was grateful for that. For just outside there were loud cries and cheers, coming from the mouths of, which were now, my people. But they were not cheering for me. They were cheering for the king and queen, my parents. Biding them farewell and good luck as they rode off with two-hundred thousand men and horses to war, leaving me to govern a country in a lonely castle with only a few living bodies wandering through it. And I hated them for it. I wasn’t ready to rule a country, I wasn’t ready to take on that kind of responsibility, and to tell you the truth, I was positively scared to death. I hadn’t left the safety of my bedroom for a few days, I even had meals brought to me in secret, obviously a rebellion is more effective if my parents think not only am I upset, I’m starving myself as well. I had probably been laying there for hours, or maybe minutes, I couldn’t tell.

I knew my parents loved me, but I couldn’t help thinking that they were unknowingly bringing me to my doom. I didn’t understand how they could think I was ready for this; I was only sixteen for goodness sake! Sixteen year olds aren’t supposed to live on their own, much less rule a country! I sighed deeply and sat up, scratching my wavy brunette hair as my reflection appeared in the mirror on my vanity. My long dark hair fell past my breasts, sitting on them lazily. I saw my sharp green eyes clouded over with stress and worry, the rest of my body in the same shape. Large dark circles lingered underneath my eyes and my pale pink lips adorned a frown. My body looked out of place as I slouched in the elegant navy blue dress. What A mess I was.

I sighed again and looked around my extravagant room. It was covered in so many beautiful things. A large canopy bed, draped in think purple satin was decorated in gold trimmings that drew graceful patterns along it. My gold vanity was just beyond the bed, covered with jewelry, hairpins, and combs. My floor was made of pure white marble that gracefully melted into the hard stonewalls. I felt like a spoiled brat. Here I was mourning over responsibility while there were many people that had to worry about how they were going to feed their children tonight. I couldn’t continue to sit there and pout. I had a country to run.

“Spencer!” I called my manservant. A tall handsome man in his late teens appeared only seconds later. He bowed lowly to me, his straight light brown hair falling into his face as he did so.

“Yes, m’lady?” he asked immediately.

“Have my mother and father departed into the forest yet?” I asked, standing from my bed and slipping into my velvet green slippers, I exited my bedroom and began to tread down the corridor, my footsteps echoing against the tall walls.

He nodded his head, “They have indeed entered! Many hours ago, m’lady,” He said to me as he walked alongside me. I smiled. This meant that they were officially on their way, and not coming back for at least a few months.

The Armora Forest was not a place that you wanted to pass through anymore than you had to. Armora was a treacherous place and was just outside our castle, it had kept us safe for years and years because no one had dared to enter it, but recently we had an attack on our biggest city, Lollesol. The people claimed they were horrific creatures that had ghostly pale skin, glowing red eyes, and large white fangs. They feared fire and silver, but nothing else. They seemed invincible as they continued to attack the city, no matter how many guards we placed in front of the city walls. Over the past few months my father has been contacting neighboring kingdoms, questioning them about the strange creatures. He’s found that they are an entirely different race that neighboring countries have come to call vampires. And after many trips between the different kingdoms, he’s found out where they reside on land. Just a few weeks ago he sent a messenger with a declaration of war. The messenger, Henry, I think, was his name, was found with bite marks in his neck and an arrow through his head, and the declaration signed in his own blood. My mother and father have spent the past few days preparing every man of age, except for a few servants, for war with the vampires. And obviously by the way they returned Henry, it was going to be a blood bath.
We turned the corner and headed towards the stables, where most of them men would have been preparing.

“Did my father leave any armed men?” I asked Spencer, praying he would say yes. I surely hoped my father wasn’t stupid enough to leave the city, which his only daughter was left in, unguarded.

Spencer bit his lip as we opened the door, only to find the room was almost completely empty of men, equipment, and horses. “Well, that would be a no m’lady,” He said. I rubbed my temples. My goodness, o ne day my father’s impulsiveness was going to be the end of him. I sighed and looked back over to Spencer.

“Gather up the servants into the entry way,” I told him. He nodded and bowed to me graciously.

“Yes, m’lady,” He uttered before swiftly making his exit through the large wooden doors.

I ran a hand through my hair in frustration. I needed to escape from all this stress. I walked over to the stable that my horse, Triton, was in. I smiled at him and rubbed his dark muzzle as he whinnied at me affectionately. I laughed at him. Triton could always make me smile. I walked quickly over to grab his tack and my riding boots. I saddled him and put on my boots, also grabbing a shield and sword. I exited the stable and mounted Triton. Together we began to walk down and out of my stronghold, my safe place.

When I opened the large wooden door, I was meet with a sunset that could not have lacked any color known to man. I gazed at the brilliant sky in admiration as Triton moved at a slow walking pace upon the dirt path that had been there ever since I could remember. I sighed in true bliss as all the problems that were enclosed inside the castle stayed in the castle and left me to enjoy my walk. I patted Triton's mane affectionately, and clicked my heels lightly against his side, sending him into a gallop.

!!!!!!!!!!!*!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time had passed quickly, and for all I know I could’ve been walking for an hour, but it didn’t seem that way, for when I entered through the front door it looked like the servants were just beginning to assemble, most of them women. I bit my lip slightly and presented myself before them. They all bowed, and greeted me in unison. I smiled toothlessly at them and nodded, letting them know I had acknowledged their respect, and had appreciated it. I looked over all of the great men and woman that had served my family very well even before I had come into being.

“Well, ladies and gentlemen, I’ve called you all here today because it seems that unfortunately, our great city of Lollesol has been left unguarded,” I said. My handmaids gasped and my menservants’ eyes went wide, all of them whispering in panic to each other as Spencer tried to calm them down. I cleared my throat and immediately the servants became quiet. One, though, seemed to want to speak. I looked at her and nodded, giving her the permission she wanted. She bowed to me graciously.
“Pardon my interruption, m’ lady, but shouldn’t we warn the people?” she said in a soft voice. I smiled at her, silently thanking her for the reminder.

“Well, it would be a good thing to do in the morning, but for now we shall not worry them in their sleep if we do not have to,” I said, which caused some more commotion, but I continued to speak, “Which is why I have called you all,” I continued as they started to get quiet again, “You few people are among the individuals whom I would trust with my life, and I want you of all people to be safe tonight, therefore we will all spend the night in the storage room,” I declared to them, “We will take turns watching the door, out opponents wouldn’t dare attack during the day, so if we can survive the night, we’ll be fine,” I finished with a reassuring smile. Maybe if my servants could believe we would live to see tomorrow, I would too. “I do believe that in the morning it would be best to send out a messenger and bring back a few dozen men. I’m sure my father will survive without twenty-four men,” I said.

“We’ll go,” two young menservants said, stepping out of the crowd. I smiled at them thankfully.

“Excellent.”

“Shall we prepare to slumber, m’ lady?” Spencer asked. I nodded.

“Yes, also collect anything that you can find that would suffice as a defensive weapon. Also, go collect blankets and cushions.“

Spencer nodded and clapped his hands, getting the attention of the servants, “Do as she says.” They nodded and scurried off to do their jobs. I walked off towards Spencer, smiling at him. I locked arms with him and leaned my head on his shoulder closing my eyes.

“Thank you,” I said to him with my eyes still closed. I heard him chuckle.

“For what?” he asked.

“For putting up with me all these years,” I said, smiling up at him. He laughed a deep manly laugh.

“My pleasure, Ali.” He teased, grinning at me widely.

!!!!!!!!!!!*!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only an hour had passed before we were nearly ready to bed. I had found an old war suit, which had been surprisingly made for a woman, and wore it; for I thought it would be more appropriate attire for the situation we were currently in. Soft cushions and bedding was lying on the floor where we’d all be sleeping. We had set up camp in the very corner of the basement, that way it would be harder to find us. We had lit candles all around the sleeping area just so we could see for the time being, but the lights would all go off in a matter of minutes. We were all currently sitting in a circle in the middle of all the blankets.

“I’ve decided that myself, Franklin, and Spencer will take the first shift. Michael, Daniel, and Jacob will take the next, and Melody, Edward, and Fredrick will take the last,” I said to my loyal servants. “We will be stationed at the entrance to the city, the castle entrance, and the entrance to the storage room. The first man sees a vampire he shall shoot an arrow onto the castle’s door, then at that time the second man will blow a whistle, and the third man will prepare the remaining men and woman for battle,” All of them nodded in response. “The first shift will start in about twenty minutes, but first you all must excuse me for a moment,” I said to them. I stood from where we were sitting and beckoned Spencer to follow me. We exited the basement and traveled up the many stairs, only bringing a candle with us. We walked leisurely down the long corridors. I noticed that Spencer was starting to wonder why I had even brought him with me. I laughed a bit at him. “Do you happen to have the keys to my father’s study?” I asked him knowingly.

He smiled at me and pulled out the keys. “Yes, of course,” he said, handing me the keys as we walked in front of the large wooden doors. I stuck the key into the hole and turned it, pushing the heavy wooden doors open with Spencer’s help. I brought the candle into the room, lighting it up. Shelves and shelves of books and documents suddenly surrounded us, but the book was not what I was seeking. I traveled through the room searching it for a specific place, my father’s desk. For in his desk was the one magnificent thing that would allow us to communicate throughout the night. Finally my father’s desk appeared and I smiled in triumph, as the door was unlocked. I pulled out a small silver pipe that looked like it had been plucked from a miniature organ. I blew on it and heard the soft high-pitched sound from it. I smiled and looked up at
Spencer who was also smiling. “Your father’s old whistle…” he uttered softly. This whistle had been in my family for generations, and was very cherished. And just as it has been important to my ancestors, it would save lives tonight.

“Come on, let’s go.” I said to him, ushering him towards the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so here's the first chapter.
I hope you like it.
Comments? Subscribe? Banners?

XoXo Mappie