Status: Completed

A Ballad For Beulah

Image

Beulah Mason lost her parents in a horrible car accident when she was only six years old. Her and her older siblings were sent to live with their eldest brother who was just nineteen at the time and was in the Air Force; just like their father. Used to moving around, Beulah found herself all over the country. From New Jersey, to Ohio and then to California's Travis AFB.

On her tenth birthday, Beulah's eighteen-year-old brother Tom took her to Gilman, a club in Berkeley he frequent and where one of the bands playing was friends of his. They called themselves Green Day, and Beulah developed her crush on Billie Joe that night.

Over the course of the next two years, her crush thrived on, despite knowing Billie Joe was dating a girl named Adrienne from Minnesota. But then it was time to move again, this time to San Antonio, Texas. And Beulah was forced to leave behind her biggest crush ever.

After a couple years, Beulah's eldest brother Elliot was transferred to Las Vegas, taking Beulah and her other brother Nick with him and his new wife. After graduating, Beulah distanced herself from Eliot and moved into an apartment with Nick but then struck out on her own.

In June 2000, Billie Joe, after having an argument with his wife Adrienne via cell phone, stalks into a hotel and casino's bar where he runs into a very grown up Beulah, who's working there as a waitress. The two decide to meet up after her shift is over. Somewhat drunk, Billie Joe goes with her for ice cream and to catch up,

But then they end up at her apartment and do more than talk.

Feeling guilty the following day, Billie Joe tells her he'll call, but he doesn't. Two years go by before they meet up again and when they do, Mike tags along as they play catch up once more. And then find a crying baby boy in her apartment.

Billie Joe's bastard son.

Over the time frame of the next five years, Billie Joe appears to be the greatest father alive to his sons Joey and Jakob when he's really a candidate for Worst Father of The Year, where his illegitimate son, Bailey, is concerned. He's never there, slacks on child support, and treats Beulah like a common two dollar whore whenever he has a spat with Adrienne and needs some lovin.'

And in all of this angst and turmoil Beulah is trying to deal with, there's Mike, coming to her every beck and call when she's down and out; letting her know that Billie Joe may not be there for her and Bailey, but he'll be there for her at the drop of a hat...

...and then some.