Status: Completed

A Ballad For Beulah

The Frontman Turns 34

Having spent three weeks in England, Mike traveled to France next with Beulah and Bailey, staying in ritzy Parisian hotel along the Champs-Elysees. They shopped, had dinner, went sight-seeing and had a wonderful week before moving onto Italy to see Rome and then sunbathe on the Italian Riviera.

Oh, boy, did Mike ever become jealous of all the attention all the Italian men were giving Beulah. Whistling at her, blowing her kisses, muttering sweet nothings in their native tongue as they walked by.

It made Mike wanna rip those tongues out and bury them in the sand. But, even though she was fawned over by countless men on the beach or on the street...or in cafes and stores...and even in the hotel, Mike had her in their suite, and he knew she didn't have eyes for any other men in her life aside from Bailey and him.

And, well, Billie Joe, but that was another bridge to cross at another time.

But, finally, January diminished and February came to be by the time the trio flew back to the States.

Before even heading over to Europe, Beulah had given her landlord her notice of moving out. Mike had insisted on her coming back to Oakland with him, but she had been so unsure. She was still unsure while they were in England. But then she found out she was pregnant, and there was no way in hell that she was gonna allow another child to not know their father from birth.

She knew Mike was different from Billie Joe. She knew he would be there for her. He wasn't obligated to a wife and two sons. Granted Mike had a daughter, but his heart had so much room for so many people. And he'd already made it very clear to her by announcing his love to her and taking her and her son on a decadent trip to three European countries, on the house.

And she was pregnant with his child, which he was giddier than a pig in shit over.

So this is why Beulah finally decided to give up her ransacked apartment in Vegas. To give up the life she'd had there for ten years.

She tried thinking of it as one chapter in her life ending, and moving onto another chapter. And what this new chapter held, was a mystery.

* * *

Billie Joe was turning thirty-fucking-four. One year closer to forty.

Oh, shit.

He shuddered at the thought, even though he really didn't care. But the idea of getting older, physically -- not mentally, mind you -- freaked him out a little. Hell, he was already starting to feel some light arthritis in his hands when it was rainy out, and he noticed how he ached a little every morning after a concert where he was really active -- i.e., jumping around.

But tonight was not a night to think about getting old, it was a night to celebrate being fucking alive.

Stumbling around the front hall, hopping on one foot, as he tried getting his last shoe on, Billie Joe almost fell into the railing along the stairwell.

"Fuck," he grumbled as he regained his balance once his shoe was on.

"You ready to go, honey?" Adrienne asked as she put her earrings on, walking into the front hall. When her husband nodded, she smiled. "Okay, so your mom's watching the boys tonight at her house--"

"Yeah," Billie Joe interrupted. "I just drove them over there like, an hour ago."

"Right. And you're all dressed and ready, and I'm all dressed and ready. We have everything? Right?"

The green eyed punk rocker smirked at his wife as he took her hands in his and nodded. Pulling her close he kissed her to shut her up. "Yes, we're fine. We have everything, now let's get the fuck out of here so I can go be Birthday Boy, 'kay?"

Smirking in return, Adrienne bobbed her head. "Okay, okay..." she replied shyly. "Let's go."

* * *

About twenty minutes later, Billie Joe and Adrienne arrived to the location his birthday bash was being held in the city. They weren't the first ones there, and when they stepped inside, everyone threw confetti on Billie Joe and wished him a happy birthday and showered him with hugs, kisses and handshakes.

Tre was off toward the bar, clearly refreshing his second or third drink, judging by his stance, and Billie Joe spotted Mike standing near him at the other end of the bar, nursing a small glass of rum and Coke.

Smiling, because he hadn't seen his taller friend since before Christmas, Billie Joe knew it was nice to see him again.

"Hey, fucker!" Billie Joe called out with open arms.

Mike turned and smiled a small smile as he met his older friend halfway with a hug, both patting each other on the back.

"Hey, happy birthday, Bill."

"Thanks. So, uh...how've you been? How was the holidays?"

Mike didn't need to have Billie Joe spell it out for him. He knew what Billie Joe meant.

Beulah and Bailey.

"Everything was great. I got a lot of things that are really...priceless."

Billie Joe nodded. "Oh...you did, did you? Well, that's great. So did I." Looking over his shoulder he threw a smile at his wife and then turned back to Mike. "D'you hear about Adi?"

"Yeah, I did. Congratulations, man," Mike smiled. "So, what is that? Four now?"

Hesitating to answer, Billie Joe simply smiled a forced smile first before nodding. "Technically, yeah. But as far as everyone else knows, it's number three."

"That everyone knows for now."

"Yeah," Billie Joe replied, trying not to get a sour face. "For now."

"Well, either way, you got me beat in the kid department by one...or two. Depending on how many you claim to have in front of certain company."

"What do you mean? I have you beat, as you say, by two or three."

Mike just shook his head and smiled proudly. "Used to, Bill. Used to." Turning his head, Mike gestured to someone at the end of the bar that Tre was talking to.

In an instant, Billie Joe's world felt like it was going to melt away and he was going to shrivel up and die. Or rather, he wanted to shrivel up and die.

Shyly, a head of blonde hair poked out from around Tre, and slowly Billie Joe watched as Beulah began to walk toward Mike and him. She was holding a glass of what looked like Coke or Pepsi -- some dark soft drink -- and she looked like she was...glowing.

Dipping her head nervously, she stood close to Mike out of said nervousness. "Hi, Billie," she spoke softly.

"Uh..." Billie Joe looked from Beulah to Mike and back again. "Hi. Um, what are you doing here?" he questioned a little panicky.

"Don't worry, Billie," Mike assured. "She isn't gonna say anything to Adi. It's your night. We have all the time in the world for the truth to come out. And we're not trying to corner you, either. But I do want you to know that I've asked Beulah to move out here to live with me. Both...both Beulah and Bailey live with me now, Bill." Mike watched as the birthday boy's face turned a few shades paler. "And it's not just that. We're kind of a couple now...and..." Mike looked down at Beulah, smiling at her and placing his right palm against her stomach. "We're gonna be parents again."

If Billie Joe didn't look as if he'd seen a ghost before, he did now.

All the blood seemed to drain from his face and his pulse quickened, beating annoyingly in his ears. His puffy lips parted but he didn't speak. He simply licked his lips and shoved his hands nervously into his pants pockets when Adrienne's voice rang out behind him.

"Oh my God," Adrienne squealed. "Beulah? Holy shit." Adrienne walked up, almost giggling, unaware of her husband's nervousness with the situation. "What happened to the little preteen who needed my advice on her first period?"

Beulah felt a little bit at ease when she saw how sweet Adrienne still was, and she just hoped that that never changed. Well, it probably would once she learned the truth about Bailey.

"She grew up," Beulah replied with a smile as the older woman took a hold of her hands and held her out at arms' length to look the blonde over.

Adrienne almost cooed as she hugged Beulah. "Did you hear? I'm pregnant," the brunette gushed happily as she looked between Beulah and Mike.

"Wow," Beulah replied, clearly surprised. There it was, right in her face. Billie Joe and Adrienne were clearly happy together and had a family together. There was no way she could ruin that. "Congratulations."

"Speaking of congratulations," Billie Joe finally piped up. "Did you know Mike and Beulah are a couple? And they're having a baby together, too?"

Adrienne's brown eyes widened and she smiled. "Get out? When're you due?"

"End of September," Beulah replied. "You?"

"End of August," came Adrienne's answer. "So...are you living here in California then or is Mike gonna be moving to Vegas?"

"No. No, she's moved in with me," Mike spoke. "Her and her son live with me."

"Oh, Tom showed me a picture of you and your son, Bailey. He is just too adorable," Adrienne complimented.

Beulah looked briefly at Billie Joe before smiling at the older woman. "Thanks. He's the world to me."

"So I heard. Oh God, you and I?" Adrienne gestured her right index finger between Beulah and herself. "We are going to be pregnancy buddies, 'kay? 'Cause you're the only one I know who's pregnant right now, and plus this gives us the chance to catch up."

"Uh..." Beulah began. Then shrugged. Why the hell not? she figured. "Sure. That sounds great," she smiled.

"C'mon...let's start, shall we?" Adrienne linked her arm through Beulah's and smiled at Mike and her husband. "If you men will excuse us..."

"By all means," Mike smirked as both women began to walk away.

Billie Joe took a step back, ran a hand through his hair and turned toward the bar where he slammed his hand down, getting the bartender's attention. "Glass of Jack. And keep 'em coming."

"Oh, c'mon, Billie. Stop with the dramatics," Mike scoffed. "The world is not ending. All is still fine in paradise."

Taking the first glass poured and downing it in a matter of seconds, Billie Joe turned and shot darts at his best friend with his green eyes. "Shut the fuck up. I mean, you just had to drop all this on me. On my birthday. And you did this to fucking mess with me, didn't you? Well, congratulations, Mike. You did it. Another one," he added the last bit toward the bartender. He shook his head. "Thanks. And this birthday started out really nice."

"Listen, Bill, I'm not gonna argue with you, but I wasn't gonna leave Beulah at home while I went out and had a good time," Mike spoke with adamance in his voice. "That woman," he pointed in the direction Beulah went. "Deserves a lifetime of good times, and I am intent on making sure that happens. Alright?"

Billie Joe took the second glass of Jack Daniels and downed it, while looking away from Mike, but still listening, solemnly.

"Now, we're gonna all exist nicely in your paradise for tonight and forget about our problems and lies and have some fucking fun, okay?" Mike gave Billie Joe's shoulder a gentle shake to show he meant no harm. "You're thirty-four today, man. Enjoy it." Stepping back, Mike walked away with his rum and Coke while adding, "Happy Birthday, Billie Joe."

Sinking down onto a barstool, Billie Joe hunched forward and beckoned for the bartender to pour a third glass.

Sloshing the liquor around in the glass, Billie Joe mumbled, "Happy fucking birthday to me." Then he down the drink in one gulp.