Violet Hill

Adversary

Still clutching the white sheet tightly at her chest, Evelyn tore her eyes from where Peter had stood in the doorway moments before. She had no idea where she was, aside from the fact that Peter had called this place Aslan's How.

Slowly, she stood up from the bed and grabbed the clothing at the foot. With a shake, she unraveled the folded material and held it at arms length so she could inspect it. The dress was simple, its color as deep a violet as her eyes, and fell almost below her feet. Nodding approvingly, Evelyn quickly slipped off the white gown she was wearing and pulled on the dress, pleased to see that it fit her well. She looked quickly around the room, realizing that the Telmarine sword she had "borrowed" was no where in sight. Typical, she thought, shrugging it off.

Sweeping her long hair over one shoulder, she strode purposefully out of the room, having no idea where she was going. Luckily, the hall consisted of one narrow passage. Now, which way to go... Evelyn thought, looking from her left to right. The last thing she wanted to do was get hopelessly lost. Deciding on her right, she began strolling slowly down long the hall, her light footsteps echoing softly off of the rough stone walls.

Spotting a loose, jagged stone on the ground, Evelyn bent to pick it up and tucked it securely into the long sleeve of her dress. Better be cautious, she said to herself. She kept her senses alert, hating the fact that she was in unknown territory, as she neared the end of the tunnel. Flames flickered through the opening, and Evelyn walked through the doorway and came into a large room. Lit by a half-circle of flame, the focus of the room was on a large stone carving of the Great Lion. She felt her breath leave her lungs in a whoosh as she stopped in her tracks and gaped at the fierce, yet majestic look Aslan possessed even as a mere sculpture.

Slowly, she moved her feet forward and examined the carved Narnians that surrounded the Lion. Fauns, centaurs, minotaurs and different animals were present. Her grandmother had described the Narnian creatures, but she never imagined that she would loos so wondrous. Lastly, her gaze fell upon the massive, cracked table that lay in the middle of the room. Stopping infront of the it, she gently lay her hand on its dusty surface.

"What are you doing here?" A deep voice, with an accent similar to hers demanded from behind Evelyn.

Trying to cover up how the voice her made her jump a foot in the air, she turned around quickly and caught sight of a tall boy in the doorway. His long brown hair bounced slightly as he walked hurriedly towards her, anger flashing in his eyes.

"Who are you? Why are you here?" He demanded once more, his voice full of authority. As he came closer his chocolate brown eyes scanned over her; her long dark hair and her caramel colored skin were all similar to Telmarine features, aside from her striking violet eyes.

Evelyn remained silent, simply looking back at his annoyed face—knowing that she had seen it somewhere before.

"Answer me!" The boy almost snarled.

Like a hammer to the head, the boy's identity hit Evelyn. "Prince Caspian?" She said, raising her eyebrows as her mouth fell open. The little Telmarine Prince? Out of his castle? She thought in surprise. What could Miraz hope to accomplish with this?

His eyes flashed with something unreadable, but his eyes quickly regained their hardness. "It matters not who I am. I will ask again, who are you?" He said, with more menace then before.

Evelyn met his hostility with defiance. Did Miraz send him after me? "I am who I am. But rest assured I am not a Telmarine." She growled, glaring daggers at him.

Exasperated with her lack of cooperation, he slowly drew his sword. "If you will not tell me who you are," he pointed his sword at her threateningly, holding it up with one strong arm. "Then how am I to know that you are not an enemy?"

You are the Telmarine Prince. I am your enemy, her hotheaded side almost spat, but her logical side realized that he was the one with the sword, so it was better to remain coy. Slowly, she put her right hand behind her back and allowed the rock she had picked up to slide down her sleeve before clutching it tightly in her hand. "You have no way of knowing," she replied smoothly with her head held high, seemingly unfazed although her heart was pounding painfully in her chest. Her mind raced with different thoughts of how to avoid his sword and get close enough to land a blow with her rock.

Caspian and Evelyn were glaring at each other so intently that they didn't notice another figure enter the room until a strong hand wrapped firmly around Caspian's wrist and forced his hand downward. Evelyn jumped slightly at the sudden movement and looked up to find the cause. Caspian's eyes were wide with shock and he winced in pain as his sword fell out of his hand to clatter on the ground.

"Leave her alone," Peter growled furiously at Caspian.

Evelyn raised her eyebrows at Peter's hostility and looked over at Caspian to find that he was just as surprised as she was.

His piercing blue-eyed glare never leaving Caspian's face, he stepped slightly in front of Evelyn. "I'm the one that brought her here," he continued. "She's not an enemy. So don't touch her." With that, he shoved Caspian's hand roughly away.

Now Evelyn was really surprised. Not only because of the fact that Peter was defending her so daringly, but because he was ordering Caspian around as if he were one of his soldiers. Why doesn't he just kill him? She bit back the impulse to take him out herself with the rock she still held in her hand. "Wait," she cut in. "He is the enemy!" She pointed a finger as Caspian. "He is a Telmarine! He is the Telmarine Prince!"

Peter glanced back at Evelyn, as if suddenly realizing she was there.

"I may be a Telmarine, but I am not an enemy," Caspian cut in, still looking at her angrily as he picked up his sword and sheathed it.

Evelyn laughed humorlessly. "Ha! The Telmarine Prince? Not an enemy?" She repeated mockingly, white hot anger rising inside of her. "The same prince who is the nephew of the miscreant that destroyed so many lives?"

Caspian seemed taken aback by her harsh words, and she could see it in his eyes that she had struck a nerve.

"All of you Telmarines are enemies," she continued her voice dropping slightly in volume as images from the attack on her village flashed through her head. "Vile, cruel people who kill for their own gain. You, Miraz, you are all the same—"

"I am nothing like him!" Caspian yelled.

"Yet here you stand!" Evelyn countered, taking a step towards him and looking him square in the eye, ignoring how tall he was. "In the Narnian fortress. Why? Did your cowardly uncle send you to finish what your namesake started?"

With a ferocious shout, Caspian drew his sword and swung at her. Before Evelyn could even think about dodging his attack or striking him with her rock, Peter had drawn his sword and blocked Caspian's blow right in front of her face.

The two boys glared at each other, their swords still crossed in the air and their eyes blazing with fury.

Evelyn's anger died down slightly, and she clenched her fists so tightly that she could feel her fingernails cutting into her left palm, the jagged rock biting into the other. "Why?" She said quietly, tears escaping from her eyes as her voice shook with emotion. "Are you here to betray them just like you did my people?"

Caspian's turned his gaze to her and his eyes widened with confusion at her remark.

"Peter!" A female voice shouted.

Evelyn still glowered at Caspian as he and Peter turned to find the source of the voice. Finally, she blinked back her tears and tore her eyes away from the young Telmarine's face to look in the direction of the voice.

Three figures stood in the doorway, two girls and a boy. The first girl, who was undoubtedly the eldest, had pale skin, long dark drown hair and a beautiful, mature looking face. She also wore a slight scowl. The boy had messy brown hair, but he was lean and tall. Last, the youngest girl had light brown hair that fell just past her shoulders, and her face held curiosity and something that Evelyn found very strange—relief.

The young girl immediately ran forward. "Oh, I'm so glad you're alright!" She exclaimed, ignoring the tense atmosphere as it seemingly evaporated before her.

Evelyn raised her eyebrows when she realized the girl was talking to her. Her youthful voice held the same foreign accent that Peter's did.

The girl continued, "Your name's Evelyn right? I'm Lucy Pevensie. We were all so worried when Peter brought you in. You were unconscious but I was able to heal you before your injury got worse. Are you feeling better?"

Evelyn was still in minor shock when Lucy finished her babbling. They were worried about me? She exclaimed in her head, taken completely by surprise. They do not even know me! What is wrong with these people? With the last thought her eyes flashed to Peter's, only to find that they were watching her expectantly.

She looked back at Lucy, who was awaiting her response patiently. "Uh..." Evelyn began. "I am fine...?"

Lucy sighed loudly. "That's a relief." Evelyn couldn't help thinking that if Lucy smiled any wider her face would crack. "Peter told you where we are right? Come on, let me show you around."

Still in a state of confusion, Evelyn simply nodded dumbly. Before she reached Lucy, she turned to Caspian and gave him a glare so intense that he flinched when he caught her eye and his eyes widened in alarm. Slightly smug that she had affected him, she held her chin up and strode out of the room, the three Pevensies following close behind.

As Lucy fell into step beside her and prattled on about their surroundings, Evelyn tuned her out slightly and became lost in her thoughts. The Pevensies seemed fine, and she was sure that she could trust the Narnians.

It is the Telmarine that I need to watch out for, she reminded herself. She had labeled him as a permanent threat in her mind—and she was positive that he knew it.

~:~:~:~:~

Caspian's eyes never left the retreating back of the strange girl as she left the room with the Pevensies. He was still shocked at the whole encounter that had just taken place.

"Hey," Peter's voice said gruffly, and Caspian turned to find the High King with his arms crossed over his broad chest, glaring dangerously at him. "You'd better leave her alone. You have no idea what she's been through." His remark had held no initial threat, but from the hostility of his voice and the look in his piercing blue eyes, Caspian couldn't help but assume that his statement had an underlying meaning.

Peter's cerulean eyes narrowed as he gave Caspian one last death glare, before turning and walking out of the doorway Evelyn and his siblings had just disappeared through.

Caspian stood rooted to the spot. Whoever this girl was, High King Peter was evidently very protective of her, so whether he liked it or not, he couldn't bother her. Still, he was curious about who she really was and how she got here. All he knew was that her name was Evelyn. No one had mentioned her arrival to him, so when he had seen a shadow by the stone table in the large room, he thought that it was an enemy. What had caught him by surprise was to find that it was infact a beautiful, dark-haired girl.

He had assumed that she was a Telmarine by her looks, but the very word Telmarine seemed to have made her mad. What kind of girl is she? he wondered. Thinking she was a spy, he had threatened her, he had raised his voice at her, and he had pointed a sword at her throat—and she barely flinched. She merely glowered at him with those piercing eyes of hers. He would have thought that she would run or tremble at the very least, but there was no fear in her gaze.

And Caspian couldn't erase the look she had given him from his head. Right before she had left with Lucy and the others, he had seen such a mix of emotions in her eyes—pain, loss, sadness, and anger. In one glance, she had conveyed her message to him. He may not consider her a threat, but he knew that she still saw him as an enemy. This made what Peter had said to him all the more confusing.

Her words echoed in his head: Are you here to betray them just like you did my people?

Caspian knew for certain, the girl with the violet eyes intrigued him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dedicated to Seclue and miss fit. for being AWESOME =]
So I went out on a limb and posted this chapter without my beta reading it first so if it sucks, please let me know.
And since the contest is over, I'll probably be making this into a full blown story since it doesn't have to be short anymore.
Comments are always awesome :D
-Jessika