So What If I Never Hold You?

Chapter 7- Brother’s Can Be AssHoles

"So how was school?" Mom asked me as we were sitting down at the kitchen table eating chicken Alfredo.

"It was pretty good," I replied. "It was just the same, with out homework,"

"That's nice, what about you Justin?"

"It was ok, I think Brian's been skipping out on practice. Coach is pretty mad,"

"It was only one practice," I said. I knew what he was talking about, Brian had told me that he was glad he skipped practice this afternoon.

"And how do you know?" He asked.

"I was with him. We were recording," I said simply taking a bite of my pasta.

He choked. "What were you recording?" He asked learily.

"We were making some tracks of our songs for Afternoon of Broadway. He's not like that,"

"Not with you anyway,"

"Don't remind me," I said under my breath. They didn't know that I liked Brian, well as far as I knew.

"What was that, hun?" Mom asked me.

"Nothing," I said, "can we just get off the subject?"

"Yeah, let's talk about Homecoming? Has anyone asked you out, sis?" He asked me.

"No," I said. Homecoming was in a few weeks, and the game was the biggest event at our school.
The dance was always great. I went whether or not I was asked. Before Val and Matt hooked up, we went as friends. Last year, I just went in a group of Zacky, Jimmy, and a few other kids. That was before Jimmy got expelled.

"I'm surprised Brian hasn't asked you out yet, I mean him and I were talking, and,"

"Let it go, Justin. Don't give her false hopes," Mom said.

"If Brian liked me, he would've told me. I mean, we've been friends since Kindergarten," I couldn't help but wonder. I mean, especially after what happened today. I figured I'd call him and ask him to go for a drive with me later

"Sometimes things take a while... I mean, he could just be building up confidence,"

"He's on the football team, and has dated just about every girl worth his time. Confidence isn't an issue for him," I argued just after finishing my last bite of food. "May I be excused?" I asked. It was no surprise the subject had made me mad.

"Yes, It's fine," Mom said as she then glared at Justin. She knew the effect.

I walked into the kitchen placing my dishes in the sink. Since I cooked, Justin would clean the dishes and Mom would put them away. I walked upstairs and went into my room. Falling on my bed, I turned on the radio and I listened to the oldies station. They started to play "Welcome to the Jungle," by Guns' N' Roses, as I then picked up the phone to call Brian. The phone rang a few times before he picked up.

"Hello?" He asked.

"Hey, Brian, it's Bella," I said.

"What's wrong?" He asked me.

"Um, I'll tell you if we go fora drive. Can you get away?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'll be over at your house in five minutes," he said.

Promptly five minutes later he rang the door bell. Mom opened the door, "Hello, Brian, what a surprise, we were just talking about you!"

"That's nice Ms. Parker, but I was wondering if I could take Bella for a drive?"

"Of course!" She said before she yelled up the stairs. "Bella, Brian wants to go for a drive!"

"Ok," I said as I left my room and ran down the stairs. Brian smiled as we then walked out the door and walked to his car.

After we closed the doors and he turned on the car, he asked, "What's wrong?"

"It's more of a question I have for you,"

"Mmhmm," He nodded as he started to drive.

"Brian, do you like me?"

Brian:

She asked me the question I've been prepared to answer for a while. But my answer erased it's self just as she asked it. "Well, of course, I've been you're best friend since Kindergarten," I said, that wasn't the answer either of us wanted.

She looked down and started picking at her nailpolish. It was her nervous habit, "I'm serious, Brian,"

I pulled over in a store parking lot. "Well, there is someone I like," I said.

I could see her flinch as if she took a blow. I tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. She shivered as I touched her and a single tear fell from her eye. I lifted her head with two fingers and looked into her eyes. The tears made them glisten like I had never seen before. Leaning in, I kissed her.

She kissed back and before we broke, she smiled underneath my lips. When we did break, her eyes were closed and her mouth was open slightly so she could breath. "And it's you," I said under my breath, but I knew she heard it because she opened her eyes.

"Brian, I love you," She said meakly as she kissed me.

This is right where she needs to be. No more heartbreak, she can breath