Sequel: That Should Be Me
Status: Story needs to be heavily edited!

Something More

002

"Hi sweetie, how was your day?" My Mom asked as I set my stuff down near the front door. I shrugged and headed to the kitchen to grab a snack.

"Do you want to go visit your father today? I know he'd be happy to see you."

"Mom, he won't even know I'm there. What's the point?" I said coldly.

"Destiny! The point is he could die soon, don't act like that."

I could see I hurt my Mom, she was losing her best friend. I walked over to her and wrapped her into a hug. "I'm sorry. Let's go see him."

~~~

Seeing my father was one of the hardest things to do, I couldn't help but think soon he wouldn't be with us anymore. I was more worried for my mom than I was for myself. She wasn't handling this well and I didn't know how to help her.

I lied in bed tossing and turning, unable to get my parents out of my head. I sighed and grabbed my phone.

"Nick..."

"Hey, you alright? It's kind of late."

"Can you please come over?"

"D, it's almost 11." He said with a whine.

"Please, Nick I need you." I whined.

"Alright, I'm coming." He said sounding worried.

Nick had to be more than a friend, the way he treated me, my other friends don't treat me like he does. He had to feel something for me, didn't he?

"Are you okay?" He asked. We were cuddling on my bed, something not unusual for us.

"I guess."

"D, did you really need me here tonight?"

"Yes."

"What for?"

"I don't know, I always need you." I wanted to seem strong with everything going on in my life, I didn't want him to know how vulnerable I was.

"Yeah, I wanted to see you too." He said with a smirk.

My heart felt as if it skipped a beat. Did he really just say that? Why did he want to see me? My heart started beating faster and I was hoping he wouldn't notice, I couldn't bring myself to say anything.

"Beside the fact we both wanted to see each other, I know something is upsetting you." He told me as he brushed my hair behind my ear.

He seemed to always know what I was feeling, even when I tried my hardest to hide it.

"I guess it's just my Dad, he could go at any minute Nick. I'm worried."

"He'll be okay." He squeezed me into a hug. I decided to change the topic, I hated talking about my dad.

"So what's up with you lately?" I asked him.

"Nothing? What do you mean?"

"You've been distant lately" I said.

"Oh well, there's this girl. I'm pretty into her." He said as he still clung to me.

"Who is she?" I asked him as I escaped his grasp.

"Her name is Ally." He said without looking at me.

I was crushed how could Nick not know I was pretty much in love with him, he was good at guessing every other emotion I felt.

"Ally? Do I know her?"

Nick look confused, "Is there a problem?"

"No, it's late. You should go. We have to be up early tomorrow."

"Am I not allowed to like anyone?" He asked.

"No." I said. "I mean, no, of course you're allowed to like whoever you want. I just want to go to sleep."

I sighed in frustration. "Whatever, see you tomorrow."

I was such an idiot for ever think we could be more than friends.