Running With Scissors

Jayde's POV

I walked in the door, tired and worn down as I usually was. The house was dark, but the kitchen light was on. Something was different. My house was clean. Really, really clean. There was no laundry on the furniture, the counter had been wiped off, the carpet had been vacuumed, everything was neatly put away in proper places.

I called out, placing my keys on the cleared off table along with my purse and my sweater. "Ace, are you here?"

A shuffling came from the living room. I walked around the corner to see him sitting on the couch watching TV. When he noticed me there, he shut it off and smiled.

"Did you do all this," I asked.

He nodded. "Are you happy?"

"Yea… Thanks, you didn't have to."

"I know, but I was bored."

"Where did you put all me paperwork that was on the table," I asked curiously, turning to shuffle through drawers to find them; hoping that he hadn’t gotten the chance to read them.

"In the garbage," he stated.

"WHAT?"

He chuckled, "Settle down- I paid them. Everything is all sorted out, you don't owe anybody anything anymore."

I could feel my face starting to burn up in embarrassment, "Ace- What did you go and do that for?"

"Because I had the money and I knew it would help you out."

I moved to the kitchen to grab some juice, only to find he had bought groceries while I was out too. I turned back to find he had followed me into the kitchen. I sighed. "Ace, you can't go and buy all this stuff, it's really nice of you and everything, but-Thanks." I looked at the floor, swallowing my pride and accepting the help.

"Anytime," he answered sincerely.

At that moment, it became awkwardly silent.

"I rented a movie if you're interested," he stated.

I smiled and nodded. "Okay. Which movie is it?"

He shrugged, "One of those sappy chick movies. I knew I could get you to watch it if I picked out something like that."

I smiled. "Alright. Set it up and I'll be right there- I just want to go change."

He nodded and turned back to the living room.

"Hey, Ace?"

"Yea," he answered, pausing and turning back to me for a second.

"Thanks for coming back," I stated shyly before I walked back down the hall to my bedroom, not noticing the relieved smile on his face.