Running With Scissors

Building the Wall with Bricks of Self-Concience

Everything felt normal. Having her so close to me felt normal; Made me feel normal. I peered at her from time to time, catching a giggle escape her lips, or a twinkle catch her eye. She was smiling happily as she watched the TV attentively. I smile at her, but she doesn't seem to notice, at least not right away.

Suddenly, she turns to me and asks, "What?"

"Nothing. I was just thinking; This is so cool. Just think about it, it's been over four years since we did this last," I stated.

"Yea, you're right," she smiled.

The light from the television reflected against the silhouette of Jayde's face. I couldn't help but smile in thanks of where I was.

"Are you going to watch the movie," she asked in a humorous giggle.

I turned pink. "Uh... Yea. I was already watching it."

"Sure you were," she winked.

She was so flawless, like a goddess under the frame-accenting attire she wore. Womanhood had welcomed her with open arms, putting her in a dangerous position through my eyes. I wanted to take care of her. I wanted to make sure that nothing ever happened to her. Ever.

I wanted to touch her. I wanted to feel her radiant warm skin under my fingertips. But it was clear to me that such things would never happen; I had already screwed that up. These thoughts brought down my happy-go-lucky personality and my world became gloomy once more; a simple blur of depression.

"I... I think I'm just going to go to bed," I sighed.

"What? Why," she asked, grabbing my arm as I made effort to get up from the couch. She noticed my expression and blushed slightly in embarrassment and shied away. "I mean... Didn't you sleep enough today?"

Was this disappointment? Did she really want me to stay? Was this some sort of sign?

I looked at her with a smirk as she made innocent puppy-dog eyes as her lips set themselves in a pout. "Alright," I remarked, sitting next to her once more and throwing my arm casually around her shoulder just to tease. "I guess I can stay if you really want me to."

She giggled and turned back to the TV in silence for no longer than a few minutes. However, I could tell she had lost interest in the movie altogether.