Running With Scissors

The Heart Is Where Your Throat Is

"Did you ever think of us while you were gone," she asked.

I sighed, running my fingers through my hair nervously. "Yea; all the time. What did you think- I magically got a life when I left?"

"That's what you went there for, wasn't it?"

I sighed, noticing just how lame my life really was. "Do you want to know what happened while I was away?"

She nodded. "What did you do, Ace?"

"I went through hours and hours of couselling, rehab programs and spent my free time drawing like an obsessive-compulsive when I wasn't cleaning. I spent the weekends at a garage where my uncle taught me how to fix cars. My grandparents made me put away the littke money I made there into a savings account, which I didn't have access to until my birthday, so here I am. The phsycologist I was seeing didn't want me to contact anyone from my 'old life'- she said it would ruin my progress. I swear I would've called if I had the chance."

"It's alright. That sounded like it sucked," she stated sympathetically.

"Yup."

"Did you made any friends while you were away?"

"Nope."

"None?"

"Not one," I stated.

"Did you ever get a girlfriend," she asked in obvious curiosity of my personal life.

"No... I don't think I woud've wanted one anyways."

"Why?"

"I just... Didn't have an interest in relationships."

"Why," she asked once more.

I chuckled light-heartedly, feeling a slight discomfort. "Well, aren't you just curious this evening," I stated.

Her face burned a shade of crimson which I could almost feel. "I just thought... I don't know."

I sighed, building up the words which I knew were dying to come out. I searched her face for the okay, but she seemed to pre-occupied by her own embarassement which didn't bother me at all.

My fingers brushed the lose strands of hair from her face as I smiled sincerely, looking for my word's solutions in her beautiful chocolate eyes. From what I knew, she could have figured I was gay for some reason.

I sighed and finally gathered the guts to say, "I never had a girlfriend because I knew that I had already given my heart to somebody a long time ago."