Running With Scissors

Admitting

I called after her, following her out into the hall and to her bedroom, where she slammed the door only inches infront of my face.

"Jayde, common," I called through the door. "I'm sorry. Okay? Don't be mad at me. Like you said, I can't help it."

There was no answer from the other side.

"Jayden! You can't expect me to not ask these kinds of questions- I've been gone this whole time! I don't even know you anymore. Did you think that you'd be able to just hide everything and then it would be okay? It would never come up again? Common, you're smarter then that! Just let me in... We can talk about this. It's not like I'm going to walk out on you. Some big, old bouncer just beat the shit outta me; You don't think I would have questions?"

Still silence.

"Alright. Now I know you're just laughing at me. Let me in. Pleeeease," I whined.

"God-damn, Ace! You're so god-damn annoying," she screamed as she swung open the door. Her face was red with frustration, or maybe some kind of tears. Either way, she looked angry.

"Settle down. Can I come in," I said calmly, switching my glance passed her.

Her eyes glared through me; wanting to burn a hole, I'm sure.

I cocked an eyebrow, trying to jesture that it didn't bother me as I went back to the origional subject. "Please?"

She sighed and looked around as she bit her lip. "Fine," she mumbled, pushing open the door.

I sighed, sliding passed her and sitting on the bed, letting wrinkled bankets crumple around me. I watched her nervously pace around slowly.

"Mind telling me what you're thinking," I asked.

She looked up and sighed with a small smile. "I'm sorry."

"No problem. Now come sit down," I smiled, patting the bed.

Her small figure sat next to mine.

"Okay... So, tell me about the muscle man."

She exhaled heavily. "I met him a couple years ago," she stated.

"And?"

"He was my boss. I worked illigally at a strip bar when I was sixteen. I remember... I remember I was surprised that he hired me. God, he was such a fucking pervert," she cocked, looking away. "I was so stupid. I was young. And attention seeking. And too fucking proud to give a shit. And oblivious too... He said he loved me, Ace. And I ran into him with open arms..." An empty tear roll roled down her pale cheek.

I took her hand, trying to be comforting as my heart sunk lower and lower in my chest.

"Anyways," she stated, wiping away the wetness with a deep exhale. "Fuck. Angel tried to stop me- He saw it coming. The drugs. The money. My parents... They hate me, Ace. They don't want to talk to me. I'm a fucking disgrace. But none of that matters anymore. Angel couldn't take it anymore. We both thought you were dead. He saw me destroying myself. He felt like there was nothing else left for him and I was too busy with my own life tosee it coming. I just never realized it until afterwards. I was too late, and everyone had to pay for it. Ace... Everyone loved him. It was all my fault."

"No it wasn't," I cooed.

"Yes it was. But that's not even the point. I just can't believe that it took me that long to realize what I was doing... It doesn't even matter what I realized; I got fired before I even had the chance to quit."

"Why?"

"Guys don't like girls with scars," she remarked sadly, as if she actually regretted not working there anymore.

I took a breath. "Jayde..."

"It doesn't matter," she said again, almost interuptingly. "I work in a bar. I'm a waitress. I'm miserable. It doesn't even matter."

"Yes it does. You deserve to be happy," I stated, trying to be kind.

"Do I, really," she whispered.