Running With Scissors

Brick Wall

The white pages felt like a measuring tape under my scrolling fingers, the phone anxiously waiting in my other hand the the number it would dial. My foot tapped rapidly against the carpet as my brain memorized the number and my hands slammed the book shut as I paced and dialed the number, letting the phone openly ring.

"Hello," Jayde's mother greeted from the other end.

I nervously decided on continuing this conversation outside the apartment, and quickly walked just outside the door.

"Hello," the voice repeated.

"Yea, hi... I'm here."

"Who is this?"

"Uh... It's Ace. Ace Rivers..."

"Jayde's friend?"

"Uh... Yea, that would be me."

"Aren't you supposed to be dead?"

I smirk to myself, almost simultaneously. "So I've heard. I just... I just got back in town a couple of days ago."

"Are you calling for Jayden? She's not here."

"I know. I'm staying with her. I just... I felt a need to talk to you."

"About What," Mrs. Mitchells asked hesitantly.

"Your daughter."

"Ace... I appreciate you calling here for her, but Jayden made her own choice."

"I'm not calling you to apologize, or anything on her part."

"Then what are you calling for?"

I sigh. "You aren't going to like it... But you've got to talk to her. She needs her parents. She's hurting herself... She's hurting other people. Aren't you afraid of losing her?"

"Ace, we lost Jayden a long time ago."

"No; You're going to lose her for good. I'm calling out of concern. I'm afraid... I'm afraid for her; I'm afraid she's going to do something. You just... You've gotta make up with her. She needs you guys. I know she says you guys don't talk anymore, but you must be concerned too. Please... Just come. Talk to her... I don't know what else to do."

A sigh escapes the other line. "Ace, thanks for calling, but I just... don't think that talking to her can do anything at this point. She's become reckless; rebellious..."

"I understand, but-"

"But there's just not anything we can do. Thank you for calling..."

"Wait! Please reconsider... Just one hour of your time! Please... It's worth a try, even if it doesn't work. Please..."

"Goodbye Ace," Mrs. Mitchells says before I hear a distinctive click fill the air waves.

I sigh and slide down the wall to the floor. The medication doesn't even seem to be working at this point. I can't even identify the problem; All I know is that there is one...