Running With Scissors

Arguements & Bad News

"Where've you been," she asked quietly, but in a shaky tone that was drenched in attitude.

I opened my mouth in disbelief that she would ask such a question. "I... I was in Ohio- Where do you think I've been?"

"So I guess that means we don't mean anything to you anymore, right? Just forget us all! You don't call, or write or contact us in any way?"

"Jayde... I couldn't. I was barely aloud to talk to anyone for a year and a half, so don't feel so special! Don't forget- I wasn't there for a vacation!"

"Of course," she screamed back. "And I suppose you're all better now right? You're not insane anymore? S you havn't jumped off any bridges or thrown up your lunches or swallowed some of daddy's pills? I'll bet you're just perfect now, right? All better... Well guess what, it costed you everything else to get it! I hate you! Why are you even here? Do you have any idea what you've done?"

"What do you mean? Jayde... I thought you'd be happy," I stated in a whirl of confusion.

"Yea? Well... I'm not," she stated calmly, glancing at the floor as her toes curled under her feet.

"Why- What's going on," I asked in a more sencere manner, hoping to get on her good side with a hint of worry as I tried to catch her eye.

She exhaled, leaving a long breath to linger in the air before she said quietly, "A lot, Ace.... A lot of shit that you weren't around for." She had said it so quietly that it almost seemed like she was talking to herself. I did, however, know that she intended for me to hear it.

Her words drowned me in guilt and I turned my head to my sneakers in self-pity. I'd never get on her good side again. It was clear that she didn't want anything to do with me anymore, and it was more than clear why. I had screwed up. And I understood that Jayde had given me more than a second chance. But as I went to turn and leave, she made a gesture which surprised me. She moved away from the doorway and stood beside it. She didn't look at me, but I'd gotten the vibe that she was letting me into her house.

I moved passed her, but stood near the door once she had closed it. Being in her enclosed space intimidated me, so I welcomingly asked, "Hey... Did you wanna go get a coffee or something?"

Her brown eyes looked up at me for a moment and they showed sadness. The same sadness and pity I realized in my reflection. I switched my glance to her lips when they muttered, "Why bother?"

"Because I want to talk to you, even if it's only this one time. I'll leave after if you want- Even leave town if it makes you feel any better... I just... I missed you. I havn't seen you in so long and I came all this way. I know I don't deserve anymore chances, I just... please. Just come..."

She looked up at me and once again, disappeared without a word for around five minutes. When she came back, she was fully clothed with her hair in a messy ponytail. Jayde grabbed her keys off a nearby hook and muttered, "Let's go," as she opened the door.