Running With Scissors

Angel's Eyes

I looked down at the tombstone and realized at that moment, that that's all we are after we die. This is out legacy- A cold rock and nothing more. I became angry for reasons I couldn't quite explain whe I read it word-by word. He was seventeen when he died. That was no life, Especially for him. If anyone deserved to be down there- it was me, and I didn't need to admit that. Part of me felt like having a breakdown, but the other part of me decided it wanted me to puke instead. My non-existent chest muscles churned and revolted before I was forced to move to a more respectful area.

"You really are pathetic," I heard from behind me.

I turned around, wiping my mouth slightly before saying, "You know what? You really are being horrid! I know I'm pathetic- It doesn't give you the right to stand there rubbing it in! You think I'm so pathetic- maybe you should look in the mirror, princess."

Her jaw dropped. I had finally hit her weak spot- I had gotten my own punch in. But she quickly turned angry and shouted, "Why don't you just go back to Ohio and be happy with whoever you were with there!"

"Because I've already been gone long enough," I screamed. "I'm not leaving any more!"

I watched her expression change to utter depression as she shamefully looked down at her shoes and shoved her hands in her pockets.

I re-approached her and went for a more friendly approach by pulling her in closely for a hug, before she pushed me away harshly, surprisingly making me fly backwards a few feet. I stared at her in surprise, watching the look in her eyes. She launched herself at me, making me think she was about to attack me, but I was greeted my a sweet kiss instead. As shocked as I was, I was thankful.

"I missed you so much," I whispered, wrapping my arms around her.

"Why'd you have to go," she asked, staring at me through angel eyes.

"Don't... please don't ask me that. You know I never wanted to leave."

"Did you... You want to come back to my house for some coffee or something," she asked with a smile.

"But- We just went for coffee," I stated dumbfoundedly.

"I know... But that was bad coffee, and it was expensive. Maybe we can get along a little better over this coffee. I think Angel would have liked that."

I nodded, "I think he would..."

She smiled, causing a chain reaction and the muscles in my face to create a slight smile back.

The wind was cold that day, and the sky was grey. Time seemed slow that morning, but now everything seemed un-realistic. Like high without the drugs. Happier. Quicker. Closer.
This was the only life I ever needed. I had wrongfully been given a second chance, but I was so grateful for it.

The walk back to the car was so peaceful. So serene. It was perfect.