Eight Seconds Left In Over Time

Swim

I wish that I knew where this story was heading. It’s like I’m in a tunnel, and I know that the light is coming, but I can’t see it; no matter how far I run.

People keep calling my name, but I don’t know who they are. I have no memory of any of them; except deep down I know I knew each and every one them -once. In a past life, maybe? It’s like déjà vu. I know them in the back of my mind, but have no names or relations for any of them. I even know every feature of their face like it was my own.

I feel like every things blurry, like I’m at the bottom of the ocean, drowning. The only person who can break that barrier, the only one thats strong enough to reach out to me and pull me back safely to the surface, is him. Someone I know very well, and someone I don’t know at all.

I don’t know who he is, but I feel like he was very special to me, once. And I feel like I have to swim to him, swim to his out stretched hand. Swim when it hurts. Even though the currents keep pulling me away from him. I know I’m swimming for the brighter days, despite the absents of sun.

He says he knows a lot about me, and I believe him. His striking brown eyes do just that, strike me. It sends a shock through my body. The shock is keeping me alive, keeping my heart beating; keeping me breathing; keeping me sane. He doesn’t come around to often. But when he does, it feels like there's an invisible rope pulling us to each other, a pull the gods are creating, they must want us togther, need us together.

But I can’t remember. I can’t remember any of it. The one place in my memories that feel most like home, most like me, is when cold air is rushing towards me. I feel like I’m flying, but I’m gliding. Gliding on something impossible. When I look at my feet I see that it’s ice. But how could any person do this? How are they capable of this. It’s almost like magic, but it feels so real.

I know I must be insane when I hear people calling my name and slapping a hard rubber object to me. I flinch, but somehow the thing lands on a wooden stick. As if it was planned.

And then the scene shifts to things I’ve seen a billion times. Memories fly like bullets at me, shooting me so hard it hurts. I’ve got to go on. I need to see the light at the end of the tunnel, I need to know it’s there. I hear the gun being cocked, the sound shoots in ever direction, screeching around my very being. I try to cover my ears, to block the sound out, but that won’t help. Someone is intent on killing me.

Memories flood my head, making me scream. The pain is too intense to bare. I’m trying to keep from chocking on the salt water, to keep my head above; swim.

My family; my brother; my father; my mother. All of them are huddled around something I can’t see. I hear music. So I swim harder. Swim for my life. Swim for the music that saves me. Keeps me sane.

I see faces I know, and some I’ve only seen in sports magazines. Why are all these people here? Gathered in a room, even though most have no ties to the next.

I hear my name being muttered over and over again. I’m pushing on through the water, pushing to hear the mumbled whispers.

I push, but the currents are too strong. I’m trying to keep my head above, to swim. His face flashes across my mind many times over, and it makes me wonder who he is.

I know that I need him as much as he needs me. But I don’t know why. The invisible rope is pulling me to his side. I see his fingers now, each one, reaching a little farther to touch me. I haven't come this far to fall off the earth. But it seems as though I can’t help it. I’m falling, falling so fast, that I can not be saved.

But I won’t give up. I’ll swim. Swim for them. Swim for my family; my brother; my friends; my lover.

I can’t let myself sink. But I’m being pulled, away from his smiling face. His brown eyes, his perfect face, his messed up hair, his crooked smile. I know that it’s too late to begin again, but if there was anything I could have said. Anything I could have done.

Swim for my family; my brother; my friends; my lover.

Swim for my lover.

I’m swimming through the muck of my memories. Pushing forward; although my breathing is short, and my eyes are beginning to see nothing.

If there was anything I could have done, anything I could have said.

The currents are pulling me farther from his beautiful face.

I catch the last glimpse of his smile, before a light is shinned so brightly on me, it stings. I tell myself, I can not sink. Just keep my head above; swim.