The story of Lauren

Chapter Two

Lauren arrived in Florida two days after her mother had died. She wasn’t herself either. She waited for her dad at the Florida airport and when he finally came to pick her up, she was glad because she wanted to go to bed. She didn’t really like being around people once a loved one died… “Well Lauren, were home.” Her father said. “Ok…cool.” Lauren replied. She got out of the vehicle and went up to her room. She sat on her bed and cried for awhile…but eventually she fell asleep. The next morning she awoke to her step-mother singing in the kitchen, making breakfast. She got dressed for her new school and then went down stairs. “Morning sunshine, how are you?” Her step-mother asked. Lauren yawned. “I’m doing a little better…I guess.” Lauren said, looking away. “I hope you like chocolate-chip pancakes.” Her step-mother said. Lauren nodded. “Yes, I do like chocolate-chip pancakes.” Lauren replied. “Wonderful, your father had to leave for work earlier so he won’t be joining us for breakfast…so it’s just you and me, and when you’re all done with your breakfast, I’ll drive you to your new school.” Her step-mother said. “Sure…thank you Sandy.” Lauren said. Sandy was her step-mother’s real name…but Lauren didn’t really feel comfortable calling her mom quit yet. “Ok then…let’s eat.” Her step-mother said. They ate their breakfast silently and when they were finished they left to take Lauren to school. “Bye Lauren, have a nice first day at school.” Her step-mother said. Lauren nodded. “Thank you Sandy.” Lauren said. Lauren got out of the vehicle and walked up the steps to her new high school. Lauren took a deep breath. “Oh my gosh…all these people are looking at me!” Lauren thought to herself. “Hey you must be new, my name is Cc.” Cc said. Lauren jumped, not expecting someone to greet her. “Hi, Cc…my name is Lauren.” Lauren replied. “It’s nice to meet you Lauren!!!” Cc said cheerfully. “Nice to meet you too, I guess.” Lauren said, trying to smile. “You and I are going to be best friend, I can tell.” Cc said with a big smile on her face. “Yeah, that would be nice to be friends…it’s always nice to know at least someone at a new school.” Lauren said. “Oh I know what you mean!” Cc said. “Yeah...” Lauren said. “I was new here too once, and when I came I didn’t know anyone and I was just as nervous as you were…until I met Kendra…Kendra will be your friend too, we’ll all be friends!” Cc said, smiling some more. “Oh…ok, cool.” Lauren said. “Oh look, there she is, let’s go meet up with her.” Cc said, pulling on Lauren’s arm. “Kendra, this is Lauren, she’s from New Jersey, and she’ll be hanging out with us.” Cc said. “Texas…I’m from Texas.” Lauren corrected Cc. “Oh…Texas then, sorry my bad!” Cc said. “Hello…it’s very nice to meet you Lauren.” Kendra said. “Nice to meet you too…I guess.” Lauren said. The bell rang for school and the three girls walked off to class together. They were all in the same class so that was really nice. Lunch came and the girls were excited. “Excuse me miss.” A boy said to Lauren. Lauren turned around. “Oh hi…sorry if I’m in your way sir.” Lauren said, looking at him. “My name is Dillon.” Dillon said, offering to shake her hand. “I’m Lauren.” Lauren replied shaking his hand. Dillon smiled. “Nice too meet you Lauren.” Dillon said. “Nice to meet you too, Dillon.” Lauren said, trying not to blush. “Umm, do you want to eat lunch with my friends, Cc and Kendra?” Lauren asked. “Oh, sure…I guess I could eat lunch with you and your friends, but just for you.” Dillon said. Lauren blushed. “Thank you Dillon.” Lauren said. Dillon nodded. “You’re welcome Lauren.” Dillon said. They met up with Cc and Kendra. “There you are!” Cc said, giggling at the sight of seeing Dillon standing next to Lauren. “Cc, Kendra…Dillon is joining us for lunch.” Lauren said, smiling. Kendra looked at her surprised. “You’re serious?” Kendra asked. Lauren nodded. “Yes, I’m serious…why?” Lauren asked. “Oh…no reason.” Kendra said. They ate lunch together in silence. When lunch was over, Dillon and Lauren said their goodbyes as they parted from each other to go back to class…unfortunately they weren’t in the same classes as Cc and Kendra was. When the bell rang to go home, she was happy because she got to hang out with Dillon…even though it was just up until either her step-mom or dad came to pick her up, or until one of Dillon’s parents came. “Dillon!!!” Lauren practically shouted. Dillon stopped walking and smiled. “Hey Lauren…how was your first day of school?” Dillon asked, smiling. “It was wonderful!” Lauren said, giggling. “I’m glad.” Dillon said. They walked outside together and sat on the steps to wait. As they were waiting they got to know each other a lot more, and when Dillon’s mother came Lauren was sad. “I’ll see you tomorrow Lauren.” Dillon told her. “Okay, bye Dillon.” Lauren said, waving after him. When Lauren saw her step-mother she rushed to the car. “Hey Lauren, how was your first day of school?” Her step-mother asked. “Oh it was wonderful!” Lauren said smiling. “That’s awesome, did you make any friends?” Her step-mother asked. “Yeah, I did…I met a girl named Cc and Kendra and a boy named Dillon!!!” Lauren said, giggling a little. “So you met a boy?” Her step-mother questioned. “Yeah, I did…” Lauren said. “That’s cool.” Her step-mother said. Lauren smiled. “Yeah, it is.” Lauren said. The rest of the way home, they drove in silence. When they got home Lauren went up stairs to do her homework. “Homework on my first day at a new school, gosh that sucks.” Lauren thought to herself. When she was finished she went down to greet her father. “Hey honey, how was school?” Her father asked. “School was wonderful.” Lauren replied. “That’s good…I’m glad your first day at a new school was wonderful.” Her father said. “Dinner is ready.” Her step-mother called. Lauren and her father got up and went to the kitchen to eat. “Thank you for dinner Sandy.” Lauren said. “Oh you’re very welcome Lauren.” Her step-mother said. “I’m going to go take a shower and then go to bed dad.” Lauren said, getting up from the table. “Ok, night Lauren.” Her father said. “Night dad, night Sandy.” Lauren said. “Night Lauren.” Her step-mother said. When Lauren was done with her shower she got ready for bed.