The Serrated Edges of My Heart

One

Evan always loved airplanes.

I knew he wouldn't want me to be scared, and I wouldn't be if he was with me.

But he wasn't.And he never would be again.

"You sure you've got everything?" my mom asked. I sighed.

"Yes, mom, I'm positive," I replied.

I was terrified of leaving her alone, but they said it was for the best.

By they, I mean TWPP, also known as, The Witness Protection Program.

A very helpful organization, except for my agent Dave, who was as helpful as a grapefruit.

He didn't even try to help me very much.

Although, that may just be because I refused to change my name or appearence.

And, my mom insisted that I stay with someone I knew. A relative.

But Evan loved my name, so there was no way I'd ever change that.

And do you know how hard it is to find strawberry bubblegum hair dye?

"Now boarding flight 207 to Libertyville, Illinois."

I glanced at my one way ticked and tried to smile at my mom.

It didn't work.

I probably looked just as deflated as usual.

"Don't worry Ellie," mom whispered, pulling me into a hug, "Aunt Ruthie will take good care of you."

I nearly snorted in dark laughter.

Crazy Aunt Ruthie could barely take care of herself and her zillion dogs.

I reluctantly got out of mom's grip and meandered to the gate.

The woman who checked my ticket smiled warmly at me but I couldn't even attempt to turn up the corners of my mouth.

I brushed past her with my one carry on bag and tried to locate my seat.

"A4."

I had only gone two steps into the plane before I got to my seat.

"First class? Go Aunt Ruthie," I muttered to myself.

I sat myself down in the window seat and stared up at the ceiling, trying not to think about the impending flight.

The cabin filled slowly and the first class seats around me filled.

Suddenly, I heard a noise and looked around sqiftly, trying to see if the plane had malfunctioned in some way.

There was a little girl in front of me, probably 7 or 8, staring at me with wide eyes.

What's this little brat doing up here?

She continued to stare up at me with big blue eyes and I stared right back at her, my lip slowly curling into a grimacing snarl.

"Why is your hair pink?" she asked suddenly, coming out of her trance-like state.

Without warning, I growled at her and barked like a mad dog.

She squeaked and turned around in her seat, her father glaring at me reproachfully.

I laughed a little to myself, thinking about how Evan would be scolding me for scaring the shit out of the little girl.

A tear rolled down my cheek and I hastily wiped it away.

How do I repress the bad memories when the good ones make me cry, too?

"Are you gonna bark at me if I sit down?"

I looked up for the soft voice that had just spoken and my eyes met with a pair of brown ones staring back at me.

I was at a loss for words.

Tall, lanky, beautiful round face, long toussled hair...

Just the kind of distraction I needed.

He stopped waiting for me to answer and sat down next to me, snapping his seatbelt in place over his then waste.

I'd never seen a guy so skinny in my life.

Well...I used to know one.

He had always been so tall, and pale, and quiet and...

"B-Billy?!" I asked incredulous.

The man in front of me glanced at me scornfully again.

The guy next to me looked up in surprise.

He searched my eyes, obviously searching for the flecks of purple sprinkled in with the brown.

"Ellie?" he asked. I nodded and for the first time in weeks, a smile lit up my face.

He stretched out his long arms and hugged me.

"What are the odds I'd be sitting here next to you?" he laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
No, she's not half-dog, or half-werewolf.
Calm your nipples, y'all.
My best friend Becks barked at a little girl once.
Trufax, readers.

Come one, come one, let's get those readers up to ten!