A Ghostly Romance

Chapter One

"I'm going to miss you, Danielle Ryans!" My friend, better yet stalker, Elizabeth exclaimed, practically crushing me with her death hug.

"I kinda miss breathing right now," I mumbled into her shoulder.

"What?" She asked pulling me at an arm's length.

"I said, 'I'm gonna miss you too.'" I said with a fake smile that she seemed to buy every time I used it. Which I find pretty strange considering she's in drama. You'd think someone that aced that class would know a fake smile from a real one. "I thought I've told you a million times to just call me Dani.

Elizabeth dramatically wiped a tear, that I didn't see, from her cheek. "It must be so weird leaving in the third quarter. School's almost over and you're going to a new school. New people that have been close since the beginning of the year and probably don't want any new friends...Don't worry though. I'll call you all the time. You won't even notice the difference. It'll be like I'm right there with you."

"Great..." I looked around hoping someone would kidnap me and take me away from this dreaded girl. I looked around, practically doing a 360, and realized no one would save me. No one paid any real attention to me since I usually kept to myself and that meant I had no friends.

I sighed and looked back at Elizabeth when I heard that high-pitched, whiny voice of hers. Her short, dirty blonde hair was pulled into a ponytail. It actually looked more like a small stub coming out of her head than a ponytail. That's what it looked like to me, anyway. Her lanky legs were covered by khaki capris, that made her look more washed out than usual, and she was wearing a navy blue polo, just like the school dress code demands.

"I'll make sure to visit you. You have to give me your new address though. Duh. Silly me," she said playfully smacking herself in the head. "Of course I can't visit you unless you give me your address. Where are you moving, anyway?" She looked at me intently, her small brown eyes reading my every move.

"Um...yeah. I'm not sure where it is exactly," I lied. "I'll tell you as soon as I know though."

After a few awkward seconds of Elizabeth staring at me, a chubby girl with black hair named Becky came and grabbed Elizabeth's ass. "What's up, babe?"

Elizabeth's face brightened tremendously. "Nothing," she said in a singsong voice. "Just saying goodbye to Dani."

"Oh, someone gag me," I mumbled.

Becky glanced at me for no more than a second before turning her attention back to her girlfriend. "I've missed you," she said, already kissing Elizabeth's neck and pushing her against the wall. Elizabeth threw her arms around Becky and before I knew it, they were practically having sex in the middle of the hallway. Groping, moaning, and kissing sounds seemed to fill the empty hallway, making it very weird for me.

I quickly turned and made a beeline for the math building exit. It was moments like these that made me happy to leave this school. It's not like I have anything against gays or lesbians. I mean, I'm pro gay, but I just have problems with the people involved in this awkward incident.

I opened the door and was greeted by the rain that just so happened to be falling in my direction. My rectangular-framed glasses were spotted with rain drops as I ran past the library and the cafeteria, heading towards the bus circle. The ice-cold rain pelted me as if it were their mission: hit Dani and make sure she misses her bus. I turned the corner and saw the buses, slowly making their way out of the school.

"Wait!" I shouted, trying to keep up with my bus. I ran alongside the bus, for what seemed like an eternity before slipping in a puddle of water. I felt my body shift its balance and before I knew it, my ass met the hard, wet, muddy, ground.

I didn't have to even look up as I heard my bus drive away from the school, leaving me in my misery. I gloomily looked at my feet. My last day of school just had to be like the others, didn't it? It rained harder, getting me soaked in less than a few minutes. I honestly didn't feel the need to get out of the mud. It's not like that would make any difference.

"Do you need any help?"

I brought my head up slowly, only to see my crush standing in front of me, holding a black umbrella over my head, allowing himself to get rained on. His shaggy brown hair was swept to the left side of his face by the wind, slightly covering his eyes. I couldn't help but stare at the toned arms under the white polo he was wearing.

"Do you need any help?" He asked again.

"Uh...I-I fell." I answered dumbly. I mentally kicked myself for saying something so stupid. That answer was totally different from the fantasies I had imagined. I was hoping that the first time I talked to him, I would lure him in, making him want more. Not state how obviously pathetic I am.

He chuckled softly. "I kind of figured that." He reached out his hand which I grabbed, trying not to show my real excitement. To think: me touching Kevin Shaeffer! I felt as if I would explode with happiness.

He pulled me onto my feet, still holding the umbrella over us. "Do you need a ride home?"

"Uh..." I searched my brain for that one, three-letter word that would make me one step closer to being with him. "I, uh..."

"Kevin!"

We both looked towards the source of the sound: his girlfriend, Amelia.

"Kevin, we need to go. You told me you'd buy me a present for my birthday." She flipped her blonde hair and hardly acknowledged me. She started pulling Kevin away from me towards the student parking lot.

He looked at me and shrugged his shoulders before leaving me standing in the rain...again. I had to look on the bright side though, things can't possibly get worse than this.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you liked the first chapter. If you have any advice, please let me know! ;)