A Ghostly Romance

Chapter Ten

I slowly walked back to my house, with my shoulders slumped. Kevin and I were getting along so well! He even flirted a little... I sighed as I reached into my pocket to get my keychain. Kevin is so nice...he doesn't deserve such a rude girlfriend.

Are you saying he deserves you?

I searched through the keychain and groaned. I never made a copy of the house key. I knocked on the door, but the empty driveway meant both my parents were gone and I was, unfortunately, locked out. How is it that this always happens to me?

I sat on the porch, feeling glum. Everything was looking up until stupid Amelia. She just had to ruin everything. It even seemed like Kevin was starting to like me...I heard some clicking sounds coming from the front door. I stood up and peeked through the semi-opened curtains in the front window. Michael waved at me briefly with a wide smile on his face before unlocking the door.

"Welcome home!" Michael greeted with a big smile on his face.

I smiled back. How could I forget about Michael?

"How was your date?" Michael asked as he followed me into the kitchen.

"It wasn't a date," I said, grabbing a granola bar from the pantry.

"Really?" He said, looking ten times happier. "So it was just two friends hanging out?"

"It would have been if his girlfriend hadn't showed up," I answered.

Michael's smile faded. "Oh? So...you two were having a secret thing?"

"Of course not," I said, heading up to my room with him trailing behind. "I wouldn't do something like that. Besides, he doesn't...see me that way."

"You like him, don't you?" Michael asked, sitting on his usual place on my bed.

"No," I said. I knew by the look on his face that no matter how much I denied it, he knew I would be lying. "It's that obvious?"

"A little," Michael said, looking down.

"Does that bother you?" I asked, feeling a little uncomfortable. Does he have feelings for me?

"Not at all. A little. Okay, a lot," he said, completely giving in.

"Why?" I was feeling...a little empowered. I mean, this is the first time I've ever had this strong of an effect on anyone, let alone a good looking guy.

"Wasn't I supposed to tell you something?" Michael said, hoping to distract me.

"Don't think you're going to distract me because-" I paused. "Oh, yeah! You were going to tell me-oh, how could I forget?!- what you really are."

Michael grinned. "No distractions, huh?"

"Yeah, but...this doesn't count. This is serious. So, tell me."

"What do you think I am?" He asked.

"Some delusion of mine," I answered honestly. "But then again, I am able to touch you...sometimes. Tell me: what are you?"

"Okay," he said, taking in a deep breath. "Five years ago, I used to live here with my dad."

"I heard an argument the other night," I said remembering the loud gunshot. "Did that really happen?"

"Yeah," he answered, watching me closely.

"So you're...dead?"

He nodded slowly, still staring at me.

"Can you stop looking at me? You're making me feel a little uncomfortable." I shifted in my spot.

"You're not going to call me a liar or something?"

"Am I supposed to?" I asked, confused.

A smile spread across his face. "You're different from other girls, you know that, right?"

I sighed. "Yeah, I know. Explains why I'm still alone, right?"

"I meant that in a good way," he said.

"So...you're a ghost? Like I thought you were the first time?"

"Pretty much," he said, obviously more relaxed.

"How come I was able to touch you?"

He shrugged. "I just focus on a part of my body and, I don't know, it becomes solid. I haven't practiced very much, which explains why you fell on the floor that one time...sorry, by the way."

"Don't worry about it," I answered. "So...have you ever told anyone before?"

"No. You're the first person I've talked to in five years. Sounds pathetic, doesn't it?"

I shook my head. "Am I the only one that can see you?"

"I think so," he said. "I'm not sure why though. Maybe you're a Sensitive."

"I admit I can get a little sensitive sometimes, but I don't get-"

He laughed. "That's not the sensitive I'm talking about. I mean, you're more sensitive to supernatural stuff."

"Oh," I said, feeling a little stupid. "I knew that."

"I don't really care why you can see me, to be honest. I'm just glad you can."

"I'm just glad to know I'm not crazy," I said with a smile. After a few seconds, my mood became more serious as I realized what happened. "Your dad shot you?"

Michael nodded. "Don't feel so bad, though. Bastard died a few days after I did."

"What happened?"

"He couldn't find the money. Frank came here and-" Michael made his hand in the shape of a gun. "BAM! Got my dad right through the heart. Just like he did to me."

My eyes went to Michael's chest. He got shot in the heart. I couldn't see anything because the black jacket was covering his shirt. "Does it still-Is it still there?"

Michael sighed and opened up his jacket slowly. His white shirt was completely covered in blood. I felt my eyes begin to tear. Right where his heart should be was where the darkest red stain was. There was a tear in his shirt where the bullet entered.

"Does it hurt?" I asked, my hands slowly reaching for him.

"Nothing hurts anymore," he said, closing up his jacket. "Not physically, anyway."

I kept staring. I couldn't help myself. Here is this amazing guy in front of me, and his dad shot him just because he wouldn't give him any money.

"I didn't mean to upset you," Michael said, his hand gently stroking my own for a few brief seconds.

"I'm fine," I said.

"Dani," I heard my mom call from the stairs. "Kevin's on the phone!"

I didn't even hear my parents get home, let alone the phone ring. I got up from my bed and took the phone from my mom, with a fake smile on my face. She smiled back.

"I'm happy to see you're making new friends, Dani."

I nodded and headed back to my room.

"Hello?" I said, putting the phone on speakerphone for Michael to hear too.

"Hey, Dani, I just wanted to say sorry for earlier," Kevin said.

"Don't worry about it."

Michael raised an eyebrow. "Did he do something to you?"

I shook my head.

"I want to make it up to you," Kevin continued. "You want to do something tomorrow?"

"Um..." I looked at Michael. His face dropped slightly. "I don't know, I'll have to think about it."

"You busy or something?"

"Um..." I looked at Michael again.

"Don't worry about me. Go hang out with him," Michael said, a little too enthusiastically.

"Sure," I said to Kevin. "I'd love to."

"Great! I'll pick you up tomorrow," Kevin said with a cheerier voice.

"Who are you talking to, Kevin?" I heard a familiar voice say from the phone. I groaned. Amelia.

"I gotta go. Bye!" I heard a click and then the dial tone.

"Who was that?" Michael asked.

"His annoying girlfriend," I said, putting the phone on the bed.

"Dani! Dinner!" My dad called from downstairs.

"I guess I'd better get going," I said, standing up, even though I didn't want to leave him. I had so many questions for him.

"Yeah," Michael said, stretching on my bed, taking up the spot where I was sitting. "See you in a few."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the crappy chapter. Guess I'm just not in the zone. I realy appreciate the comments.

As always, any advice or comments can make this story better. Message me if you've got anything to say.