A Ghostly Romance

Chapter Twelve

"Did you have a rough night?" My mom asked, putting some eggs and bacon on my plate.

I shrugged and nibbled on a strip of bacon. I really didn't want to think about last night. Actually, scratch that. I didn't want to think about the argument. I loved being with Michael afterwards. He was so comforting.

"I thought I heard crying coming from your room," my mom said carefully, her eyes never leaving me.

I shrugged again. "Probably just your imagination."

My mom nodded and dropped the subject. "Richard's coming today."

"I thought he was going to come later," I said, drinking some chocolate milk. "I didn't think he would come so soon."

"Neither did I," my mom said, looking a little mad. "I wish your dad mentioned it."

I quickly finished my breakfast and washed my dishes before running back to my room. I closed the door behind me and sat on my bed, surprised when I didn't see him in my room already.

"Michael?" I asked, looking around. He was usually always in my room whenever I entered. Sometimes he would even wait for me downstairs. "Michael?"

I stood up and went to the closet. I think that's where he spends most of his time. It's where I've always been drawn to the most. I opened the door and found a figure sitting on the floor. I turned on the light to find Michael with his eyes closed.

"Michael?" I asked, closing the closet door and sitting with him on the floor. I reached for his shoulder, but my hand went through it. I sighed and said his name louder. "Michael?"

Michael opened his eyes slowly and stretched. "Hey, Dani."

I looked at Michael closer, and thought he looked a little paler than usual. Even his clothes, the same black jacket, white shirt, and jeans that he always wore, were paler.

"What?" Michael asked, looking a little self conscious.

"You look paler," I said simply, still looking him over. It might've been my imagination. I don't know.

He looked down and examined his hands and then his clothes. "I do, don't I?"

"Just a little. Were you sleeping?" I asked, suddenly curious. Do ghosts sleep?

"Kinda. I don't think it counts, though. It feels like I just keep my eyes closed, still completely aware of everything," he explained standing up, helping me to my feet. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I said turning off the closet light and flopped onto my bed.

"I meant last night," he said slowly, watching me closely.

"I know that," I mumbled. "I'm not stupid, you know."

"I know you aren't," he said defensively. "I never said you were."

"Sorry for snapping," I sighed, feeling guilty.

"No problem," he said with the smile I loved.

"Why did I hear you two last night?" I asked, suddenly remembering Michael slumping to the floor. "It was the exact same thing as before."

"I don't know any more about this stuff than you do," he said apologetically. "My best guess is that it was such a-I'm not sure how to say it- strong moment that it just sort of imprinted itself in the house. I mean, think about it. He was really pissed about the money and...well, I was terrified. Certain things like that don't go away so easily."

"You didn't seem that scared to me," I said, admiring his bravery. "I probably would have peed on myself, especially after he raised the gun."

Michael unconsciously put his hand on the gunshot wound. "I'm surprised I didn't."

"Dani," my mom said walking up the stairs. "Kevin's on the phone."

I got off my bed and took the phone from my mom before walking back to my room, closing the door behind me. I hated it when my mom interrupted our conversations. It was very frustrating, especially the fact that I couldn't really blame her because she couldn't see him. Sometimes I thought everyone was just playing a joke on me, pretending they couldn't see Michael.

"We'll talk about this later," I whispered to Michael, who nodded. "What's up, Kevin?"

"You know how I said I was going to take you somewhere today," Kevin asked over the phone.

"Yeah..." I put it on speakerphone so Michael could hear too. It was becoming a habit. Whatever I did, Michael was right with me. At least whenever we were in the house.

"How do you like swimming?" He said. I could tell he was smiling. "It's going to be really hot today. I figured it'd be a fun way to cool off."

I frowned, feeling uncomfortable. I loved swimming, I just didn't like the idea of swimsuits. The only ones my mom ever bought were bikinis and I absolutely hated them. I never felt comfortable showing that much skin. Michael noticed my discomfort and raised an eyebrow. He tried not to talk whenever I was on the phone because I would start talking to him, and the person on the phone would hear me talking to myself.

"That sounds great," I said, in an overly excited tone. "When are we going?"

"Whenever you're ready, just call. I'll pick you up."

"Awesome," I said, trying to find some excuse for not swimming. "See you soon."

As soon as I hung up the phone Michael asked what was wrong.

"I just...I don't like bathing suits," I said, laying on the bed on my stomach. "I feel so...I don't know, exposed, I guess. Stupid, huh?"

"I didn't know you were that self-conscious," Michael said, obviously interested in what he just learned.

"I am," I said, thinking of excuses. "Maybe I can tell him my bathing suits are in storage or are packed away somewhere! Do you think that would work?"

"Just go, Dani," Michael said comfortingly. "Believe me, you've got nothing to be embarrassed about. Now go find something to wear so you can have some fun."

"But I don't wanna," I whined, burying my face in my pillow. "I'm just going to embarrass myself in front of him. I'm going to look like some hobo compared to his movie-star of a girlfriend, Amelia."

"I don't care," he said, pushing me off the bed. "You are going to go swimming and you are going to like it. You're making a big deal about nothing."

"Fine," I said, pouting. I got off my bed and started looking through the bikinis my mom got me over the past few years. I've never worn any of them for the same reason I didn't want to wear one now. "I don't know which one to wear. I guess that means I can't go."

"Enough with the excuses," Michael said, standing next to me, going through the drawer. Within a few seconds he pulled out a navy blue bikini top with white polka dots and the matching bottom piece. "You are going to put this on and I will be waiting outside your room, okay? Call me when you're done."

Michael left the room, leaving me alone with the bikini in my hands. I stomped towards my bedroom door and locked it. "You better not do some freaky thing and appear in here while I'm changing!"

I could hear Michael laughing from the other side of the door. "I wasn't thinking about it, but thanks for the idea."

A fine blush spread across my cheeks. "You better not."

I quickly stripped down and changed into the bikini, afraid Michael would appear out of thin air. I slowly walked to the full length mirror hanging on the closet door, pausing before actually standing in front of it. Michael's probably right, I thought. I'm making a big deal out of nothing, so just suck it up and get over it already.

I walked in front of the mirror and was shocked when I wasn't completely displeased with the way I looked. I looked...okay. I tilted my head to the right, still looking at myself from head to toe. I didn't look as mutated as I thought I did. But still, it's only my opinion, and I still didn't like having so much of myself exposed. I might as well have walked out in my bra and panties.

"Wow," I heard Michael say from the door. "You look...amazing."

"Michael!" I screamed in surprise, jumping under the covers of my blanket. I didn't know it was possible to feel so embarrassed. One of the bad things of having a ghost for a friend is that doors can't keep them out. "You should have knocked. What if I was still changing?"

"All the better for me," Michael joked, tugging at the blanket. "Seriously, Dani. Stop hiding. You look great."

I poked out from underneath the blanket. "Should I call Kevin and tell him that my bathing suits are in storage?"

"No," Michael said, yanking the covers off of me. I curled into a ball, trying to cover myself. "You look stunning, seriously. I doubt Amelia looks as good as you do."

"Really?" I said, sitting up on my bed. I wrapped my arms around myself, still feeling self-conscious.

"I don't know how many times I have to say it," Michael said, reaching for my hand and pulling me towards the mirror. "You look amazing. Any girl that looks at you will go green with envy."

I smiled, feeling like I could do anything after those amazing compliments Michael had just given me. I looked at the mirror and did a double take. I haven't smiled like this in a while and I liked the feeling. I guess that's what made me like being around Michael so much. He makes me happy. "I guess I'd better tell Kevin I'm ready."

Michael hugged me from behind, catching me offguard. By the time I realized he was touching me, the hug was over. I walked towards my bed, kind of in a daze, and dialed Kevin's number. I never would have guessed that a simple hug could make me feel this amazing. Maybe it was the fact that I rarely touched him, that made simple things like this feel absolutely wonderful. Could this really be love?

"Hey," Kevin said over the phone.

I looked at Michael who gave me two thumbs up for encouragement.

"I'm ready for you to pick me up," I said, wishing Michael would wrap his arms around me one more time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chain of Writing:

Comments and advice ---> happy writer ---> more chapters ----> happy readers

Follow the chain of writing and leave a comment =)