A Ghostly Romance

Chapter Thirteen

"You need to wear shorts," Michael said, throwing a pair at my head. "You can't wear jeans to the pool!"

"But I don't wanna," I whined, throwing the shorts back at Michael's stomach. I guess he wasn't "materialized" (or however I should say it) all the way, because the shorts flew right through him. The area where the shorts went through whirled around for a split second, like some kind of thick black and white mist, the color as his jacket and shirt, before regrouping, forming his body again like nothing had happened. I stared in awe. It happened so quickly I hardly knew if I had seen what I just saw.

Michael bent down and threw the shorts at me again.

"Put them on, already! He's going to be here soon."

I was in such a daze, I put them on without any complaint. "Did that seriously just happen?"

"Did what just happen?" He asked, confused.

"The shorts, they-"

"They what?" He interrupted with a grin.

"Gah!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands in the air. "You know what I mean! Why can't you tell me what just happened?"

"Whatever do you mean?" He asked with the same grin.

"Forget it," I said, putting on some sandals, muttering: "You can be so annoying sometimes."

Michael smiled. "And that's why you love me."

"What are you talking about?" I asked in surprise, my heart beginning to race. How did he find out?! Was I that obvious?

Michael laughed. "I was only joking, you know."

"I knew that," I said, turning around to wipe some sweat off of my forehead. That was a close one.

I heard a knock at the door and my mom answer it. I heard Kevin downstairs.

"There he is," Michael said, throwing a tank top at me. "Have fun."

"I'll try," I said, quickly putting on the tank and sandals. "I'll see you later."

I ran downstairs, beach towel in hand, and found Kevin talking to my mom.

"It's really great that you and Dani have been going out so much," I heard my mom saying.

"Mom, we should get going," I said, hoping to stop her from saying anything embarrassing.

"Right, right," she said, stepping back. "Wow, Dani. You look really good in shorts, doesn't she Kevin?"

I could feel my cheeks turning pink. So much for avoiding embarrassment.

"She does," Kevin said, winking at me. "But we really should get going."

"Have fun," my mom said, opening the door for us.

"We will," Kevin and I said at the same time. I couldn't help but blush a little.

"How long are we going to be gone?" I asked Kevin after my mom closed the door behind us.

"I don't know. You have somewhere you need to be?"

"Not really," I said, looking up at my bedroom window. I saw Michael pacing back and forth in my room. He looked at the window and smiled at me, waving goodbye. I waved back before looking back at Kevin, who had a confused look on his face.

"What were you waving at?" He asked, looking at the window.

I looked back up to find Michael gone. "No one."

I followed Kevin to his car and to my surprise, someone was sitting in the passenger seat. Someone with blonde hair and sunglasses perched on her head.

"Who's-?" I asked, pointing towards the car.

"Amelia," he answered. "She stopped by for a surprise visit...again."

"Oh," I said, spirits plummeting. I thought I felt self-conscious before, imagine how I felt now.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Hey, weird girl," Amelia said, stretching on the beach chair. "Get me and Kevin a soda."

"My name's Dani," I repeated for the fourth time.

"Whatever," she answered, reaching into her beach bag. She pulled out a five and put it in my hand. "I'm thirsty. Get me a drink."

"Ugh," I groaned, getting off my chair. This afternoon wasn't going how I wanted it to go. Here I am, getting a soda for some girl I absolutely despise, feeling like a total third wheel. I took a quick look and saw Amelia retouching her mascara and eyeliner. Who wears makeup to go swimming? I walked towards the counter near the picnic area. Luckily there was no line, so it wouldn't take that long.

"What can I get you?" A familiar voice asked.

"A Coke, please," I said. I looked back and did a double take. Amelia and Kevin were having a hardcore makeout session. I was overwhelmed with the feeling of jealousy.

"That'll be a $1.25," he said.

I put the five on the counter, still watching Amelia with envy. I knew this was too good to be true. I shouldn't have come in the first place.

"You like him or something?" The guy at the counter asked, putting my change next to my Coke on the counter.

"Is it that obvious?" I asked, grabbing the soda and money, not paying much attention to the guy behind the counter.

"Kind of," he answered. "But don't worry about it. You look great in that bikini."

"Thanks," I said, feeling my cheeks heating up. I looked at the guy at the counter to find Michael with a goofy smile on his face. "What are you doing here?!"

"I thought I'd see how your date was going," he said, suddenly standing next to me.

"It's not a date as you can already tell," I said, motioning to Kevin and Amelia. "I knew shouldn't have come."

"Don't worry about it," he said, putting his arm around me. Unfortunately for me, the only way I knew it was there was because the hairs on my neck rose. I couldn't feel his actual arm at all. "He'll come around."

"Yeah, sure..." I said, coming closer to Kevin and Amelia. "Wait a second, how are you able to leave the house?"

"You can't talk to me, remember?" He said with a grin. "You'll look crazy."

I scowled and stomped towards Amelia and Kevin.

"You should shake up her soda before you get there," Michael whispered.

I grinned and shook it up while they were still kissing, completely oblivious of my presence. Boy was she in for a surprise. I cleared my throat loudly.

Kevin jumped away from Amelia with his a pink tint to his cheeks.

"Sorry," he said, embarrassed.

Why would he be embarrassed? It's not like he did anything wrong...

"He likes you," Michael said, laying in the chair next to Amelia. "And since he likes you, kissing Amelia makes it feel like he's cheating on you."

I looked at him with an eyebrow raised. How did he know what I was thinking?

"You're not that hard to read," he said with a smile.

"Why are you apologizing?" Amelia asked, smacking Kevin's arm. "If anything, she should be the one apologizing for taking so long with my soda." She snatched it from my hand and added, with a smug smile on her face, "She should also apologize for interrupting our little...kissing session."

She then pulled Kevin by the collar and brought her lips to his for a few seconds. Kevin tried moving away, but she pulled him closer before pushing him away and smacking her lips. "Yum."

Kevin looked at me with a look that said, "Sorry."

"Slap her," Michael urged on, obviously hoping to see a catfight. "Don't let her get away with that."

I had the strongest urge to smack her right then and there but, because of my...timid nature, I guess you could say, I didn't. I wish I had the nerve to do it, but I didn't.

Amelia smiled, and pulled back the lid of the canned soda, which exploded in her face, leaving her sopping wet, mascara trailing down her cheeks.

"I can't believe-!" Amelia wiped her cheeks and her eyes widened when she saw the black on her fingers. "I'll get you back," she exclaimed, running towards the bathroom.

I smirked and looked over at Michael who clapping. "That was awesome!"

I gave a small bow before realizing Kevin was still there. I didn't know what he would think. He'd probably stand by Amelia...I sighed and quickly turned to him. What I saw completely surprised me. There he was covering his mouth, trying to hide his smile and stop his laughter.

"That was pretty good," he said, standing up, patting my shoulder. "But...I should probably check on her."

"Right," I said, suddenly deflating. He's just being a good boyfriend, I thought. He has to check on her."You...go do that."

He walked away, leaving me alone with Michael, who was standing next to me.

"He'll come around," Michael said again.

"Yeah, right," I said, looking to the ground.

"Hey, Dani!" Kevin called, looking back at me. "I'll call you later?"

I looked at Michael. I think I saw him frown for a split second, but it was gone quickly and replaced with a smile. He nudged me playfully."You need to answer him."

"Can't wait," I answered.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm really sorry for the lack of updates, but school's started and I really need to focus. I'll try to write whenever I can, maybe on weekends or something. Hope you liked the update!

Follow the chain and leave a comment.