A Ghostly Romance

Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter 25

I sat on my bed looking at the closet door like I always did when Michael wasn't with me. I was very worried. Why did he disappear without saying anything or acknowledging I was even next to him? He's never done that before. Maybe I just haven't known him for too long...it has only been two months...I laughed softly to myself. He was my soul mate. I've known him for over a thousand years. 

I got up left my room. 

"Just stop!" I heard from Richard's room. My ears perked as I tried to hear who he was talking to. "I won't do it. Leave me alone! No. She wouldn't do that to me."

I looked around the hall as I took a few steps towards his door to hear better. It sounded like he was talking to himself. 

"I always listen to you. No. I won't. Just stop yelling," he pleaded. It sounded like he was near tears. "No more, no more, no more."

I heard smacking sounds coming from his bedroom. I stepped closer and peeked through the crack of his door. He was hitting his head with his hands. 

"Just stop!" he yelled, hitting both sides of his head hard with his hands. He fell to the floor crying quietly. "Why won't you just leave me alone?"

What the fuck? I thought, stepping away from his door. A mixture of pity, curiosity, and fear filled me. Who was he talking to? He was all by himself. I looked up and saw Richard standing a few steps in front of me. I gasped and fell backward. 

"I'm sorry," I mumbled quickly. "I didn't-"

Richard closed the door in my face. As I walked away glancing over my shoulder. I never realized he was THIS strange, I thought walking downstairs, feeling a little embarrassed about spying on him. I plopped onto the couch in the living room and looked up as if I was hoping to hear Michael. 

I looked around the living room absolutely bored when I noticed someone looking through the window. I looked closely and the person quickly ducked below the window to avoid being seen. I slowly got off the couch, wishing I had someone to protect me (preferably Michael). My heart rate quickened as I snuck over to the other room by the front of the house. Taking a deep breath, I peeked out the window in the direction I thought he might be hiding. 

I quickly stepped back away from the window. I only saw the top of his head. Honestly, what did I expect to do when I saw him? I can't defend myself. I quickly and quietly ran to the kitchen and grabbed the house phone. I dialed Kevin's number hoping he could come over and keep me company. I couldn't help but feel uneasy. 

The phone rang once and then twice. I heard a phone ringing faintly. I raised an eyebrow as I pulled the phone away from my ear. I tilted my head to the direction I thought I heard it. Fair enough, the faint ringing reached my ears, coming from the direction where the stranger was crouching beneath the window.

I hung up my phone and walked to the front of the house, redialing Kevin's number. The ringing grew louder as I approached the front of the house. I looked up the stairs knowing that Richard would be no help. I put my hand on the door knob. My heart felt like it it was about to leap out of my chest. 

I turned it slowly and heard a knock on the door. I jumped back startled. I laughed uncomfortably at my jumpiness. Looking through the peephole, I saw Kevin standing on my porch. I smiled and opened the door. 

"You called me?" he asked smiling. 

"Yeah," I laughed, relieved that I wasn't alone anymore.

"Can I come in?" he asked. 

"Uh, sure," I said, moving aside for him to enter. "I haven't seen you in a while."

"Yeah you..." he hesitated. "Yeah. Sorry about that. I sat down on the couch next to him. 

"I just thought I'd give you some time," he said, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me closer to him.

"What do you mean?" I asked, pretending to stretch so I could move away from him. 

He moved closer to me and put his arms around me again. 

"You weren't ready for us to go out, so I gave you some time and now we're okay." He leaned close and tried to kiss my lips. I turned my head and he kissed my cheek. 

"I think you're confused..." I tried to say gently. I stood up so I was facing him. I slowly walked towards the door. "I don't feel that way for you. I used to...but not anymore."

"But you always flirted with me," he said. "You told me to break up with Amelia..."

"No," I said, feeling guilty. "I just meant that I was sure there was someone that could make you happier than Amelia does."

"Yeah, you," he said with force. "So you're saying you led me on all this time? I don't believe you. I know you feel something for me." 

He stood up, his face turning slightly red. 

"No, I'm really sorry."

He walked towards me and his hand gripped my arm tightly. I tried pulling away but his fingers clenched my arm tighter. I whimpered. 

"I know you feel something for me," he whispered. "You can't say that you don't."

"Kevin, let go of me," I said, tears forming in my eyes. His fingers were digging in so deep I felt them pierce my skin. Not only was I going to get a bruise, but also nail marks. 

He let go and I immediately examined my arm, stepping closer to the door. 

"You need to leave Kevin." I said, trying to stay calm.

His breathing got heavier as he looked at me. 

"You were fucking teasing me this entire time?" He threw the vase that was on top of the table to the ground. The ceramic shattered. 

I jumped back trying to control my breathing. I didn't want to make him any jumpier by showing my nervousness. This must've been what Amelia warned me about. I should've listened...

"You fucking bitch," he shouted, throwing a lamp to the ground. "You. Fucking. Bitch." 

"Kevin, you're not being yourself," I said. "Just...leave right now, okay? Take a breather and calm yourself down."

He laughed. "Calm down? Really? I thought you loved me and now I find out you're just a fucking skank that was messing around with me?"

"I wasn't messing around with you, Kevin," I said calmly, stepping towards him slowly. "If you just go outside and have someone pick you up. I don't want you to hurt yourself by driving when you're like...this"

"Don't tell me what to fucking do," he yelled, charging towards me. His raised his hand high above his head and I stood frozen. Everything moved so slowly yet quickly at the same time. His hand slapped me across my face with such force that I fell to the floor.

My cheek was stinging as I looked at up at Kevin above me, ignoring the glass in my hands and the blood. What was he going to do now? I tried pulling myself up but the glass dug deeper into my hands causing me to yelp and fall back down onto my knees. 

Kevin moved his leg back, ready to kick me. He hesitated and looked in my eyes for a few seconds. Horror flashed across his face as he looked at his hand then me on the floor. He bolted out the door and left me alone.          
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoyed it. Still managed to get out a chapter even though I should be studying for my AP test. Aren't you lucky I love you guys so much? lol. comments make me happy. :)