A Ghostly Romance

Chapter Three

I got out of the car, and looked at the two story house. There were lots of trees with moss hanging off of them, making the house look gloomy and kinda scary. There was an old porch with a swinging bench in the front. I could feel a smile involuntarily cross my face. This looked like my kind of house.

"Sweetie, can you take your boxes into your room?" My mom asked.

"Sure," I said, not taking my eyes off the house. "Which room's mine?"

"There are three bedrooms for you to choose from. Take your pick," my dad said, opening the trunk.

"Awesome." I took my box and headed towards the porch. There was a small set of stairs that led upwards, and a few seemed to be missing. I carefully climbed the stairs, making sure not to miss any. The stairs made loud creaking sounds with every step, and the porch made the same creaking sounds too. I opened the front door and looked into the dark house. I squinted and clumsily found the light switch. The house was illuminated with the bright lights.

"Man, this place is HUGE," I said to myself. To the left, there was the kitchen which seemed to lead into the living room which was in front of me. It looked more like some room for dancing or entertaining guests to me. The ballroom had newly polished, wooden floors which seemed to be the only new thing in this house. I didn't mind, of course. After looking around, I climbed up the creaky stairs. The second floor seemed to be almost as big as the first. All the doors were opened. From the top of the stairs, I could see the two bathrooms and, like my parents said, three bedrooms.

I looked inside every room I passed. The first door, which was a few feet from the top of the stairs, looked like the smallest bedroom. The floors were wooden, just like the rest of the house, but weren't polished like the ballroom. As I was heading towards the second bedroom, I saw something run into the third bedroom from the corner of my eye. The bedroom door closed slowly until there was only about an inch of space. "Mom?" I called, gently setting my box on the floor. There was no answer. I walked towards the door, feeling the hairs rise on my arms and the back of my neck. I reached for the door only to have it slam in my face.

I yelped and fell backwards. Just wonderful, I thought. Second time I fall on my ass today. I used the banister to pull myself back to my feet and reached for the door the second time, making sure to keep my distance. I turned the handle, and slowly pushed open the door. The room was completely empty. Not a soul in sight. I looked to the left of the room and saw the closet door closed. Maybe they hid in there, I thought.

I walked towards the closet and turned the knob, only to find it locked. I turned and jiggled it around. It didn't budge. I heard footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Did you find your room?" my mom asked, entering the room.

"Can you unlock this closet door?" I asked, pointing to the door in front of me.

My mother laughed. "Sweetie, that door doesn't have a lock." She walked over and opened the door with ease.

"But..." I let my words trail off. She kissed my forehead and left my new room. I got on my knees to look at the door knob. She was right: there was no way the door could have been locked.

I got up and dusted off my pants before bringing my stuff into the room. I sat on my pile of boxes and looked around the room. It had a creepy feeling about it, almost like someone was watching me. Feeling a little paranoid, I stood up and looked around the room before heading towards the door. As I left, I glanced over my shoulder to find the closet door closed again.