A Ghostly Romance

Chapter Thirty

When you know you're going to die, time seems to slow down. It actually seemed to stop. Within a minute, I was able to look down at Kevin's mutilated body and hope that, wherever he ends up, as a ghost, in heaven, Nowhere or wherever it is that the dead go, he was happy. I was able to feel how much I hated Richard for killing Kevin. For doing all those perverted and strange things while he's been here. I was able to feel my heart shatter when I realized that Michael was inside Richard while all of this was happening. My soul mate just killed one of my friends just because he got a little violent while he was off his medication. I was able to feel Michael's weakened presence in Richard. I was able to feel the sweat building up on my forehead as I realized that my world was crashing and ending all in the same moment. 

But no matter how obvious it was that Michael was inside of Richard, I couldn't help but...I didn't hate him. I could never hate Michael even though I wanted to. He killed...he slaughtered Kevin. I looked up from Kevin's body into Richard/Michael's eyes. Although Michael was inside Richard, I could distinctly tell the difference between the two of them and what they were each thinking.

 He was pleading me with his eyes to understand. He was imagining feeling my throat within his hands as he squeezed the life out of me. He was imagining holding me in his arms, protecting me from the world. He couldn't wait to end my life. He couldn't wait to spend his life and the rest of eternity with me. Michael still loves me. He's trying to protect me from Richard. 

Run, Dani, while you still can, flashed across my mind. I distinctly noticed Michael, for a split second, nod. I turned and began running up the stairs.  Strange sounds came from behind me. I glanced over my shoulder and saw Richard lunge for the stairs, but tripped. I didn't turn long enough to notice what he fell on, but he fell with a large thump, tripped by some unseen force. 

"You can't live, Dani!" he shouted scrambling to his feet, the knife waving in his clenched fist. "They won't allow it! I'm listening to Them now!"

I couldn't feel Michael in Richard anymore. He was in my room now. I bolted to my room and locked my door. Panting, I struggled to push my bed against the door but finally got it. I threw my night table on top of my bed. I threw everything I could to cover the door until I heard the floor creaking in front of my door. Terrified, I ran to my closet and crouched in the corner. I could feel Michael. I desperately looked around the closet for him and saw a faint outline on the other side of the closet. I slowly crawled over, not really sure what to do. 

"You killed Kevin," I whispered, trying my best to ignore the the thumps coming from my bedroom door. 

"I saved you," he whispered back. 

"What do you mean?" I asked. 

****MICHAEL'S POV****

I completely opened my my mind and forced my thoughts and memories onto her. Dani gasped in surprise. I didn't mean to overwhelm her, but she has to know. Yes, I was inside Richard to hurt Kevin, but once I realized what Richard was going to do, I had to stop him. I didn't want to kill Kevin, but if I didn't transfer that energy towards Kevin, it would have been Dani that was mutilated. It was all in vain, though. I heard a crack come from Dani's bedroom. He broke the door. She didn't notice. She was staring straight ahead, seeing only what I wanted her to see. My memories and thoughts. When I am gone, she'll realize that Richard's almost in her room.  

I wanted nothing more but be able to protect the girl I loved from this sick bastard, but I didn't have much time left. Nowhere was everywhere. I could barely see. I was almost blind. But I wouldn't let Dani know that I was already leaving. I could feel myself being sucked into Nowhere while I continued to distract Dani with my memories as long as I could. I looked at Dani one last time, taking in the shapeof her face, her pink lips, her blue eyes, pale face, and black hair. She was beautiful.  With all the strength I had left, I kissed her lips softly and whispered, "I'll love you forever." And with that last word, I was gone, leaving Dani completely alone with that psycho. I was in Nowhere. My memories disappeared. I knew nothing but Nowhere. I waited in the darkness. For what, I'm not sure. But I waited alone, just like, as far as I could remember, I had been doing for of all my lives.       

****DANI'S POV****

It felt like eternity watching his memories although it was probably five seconds. Afterwards, I felt elated. Michael was protecting me. He didn't want to kill Kevin. It was all Richard. Within a second, that feeling disappeared. Michael was weak to begin with. He didn't have the energy to control Richard. He risked his life to save me. 

"Why would you do that for me?" I asked into the darkness. It was silent. He wasn't with me anymore and he hasn't been for a while. I knew that before I even asked but I didn't want to believe that he was gone. He risked his own life to save me, just because he loved me. But he still felt he didn't do enough. He helped me more than he would ever realize or admit. I could hear that Richard was struggling to push the dresser and everything I put on top of the bed. It had gotten louder. He was getting pissed. 

I pulled my knees to my chest and hugged myself. This was it. I wouldn't have made it this far, I thought, if he never loved me. I smiled, tears filling my eyes, I lived just because he loved me. I could hear Richard's steps inside my room and approach the closet door. Still not looking up and staring at my knees, I heard the door open. His shadow stretched across the floor. The knife hanging by his side. 

"You can still make it up to me," he said. 

With tears blurring my vision, I looked at Michael's final resting place. What about the Task? 

"I'll love you, Michael. Forever." 

Hearing this, Richard reached into the closet and dragged me out by my hair. He tied me to my bed and dragged the knife across my face, the blood felt warm on my face. He sliced my arms and legs. He slashed my stomach. After ten minutes, I was practically unconscious from blood loss, he slowly dragged the knife across my neck, digging it in deep. But I was numb to it all. His efforts to hurt me were all in vain. I was already dead on the inside. Nothing mattered. Not even life. If Michael didn't die, I would have been in agonizing pain. Everything happens for a reason. At last, Richard did something right, as he stabbed the knife deep into my throat, silencing my cries for Michael and he stabbed my heart, punishing me for loving anyone other than him. I felt my soul leave earth, as he angrily continued to stab my bloody, lifeless body. Again. And again. And again.        
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello my lovely readers. I hope you enjoyed this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it. To be honest, this is the only story I've completed (almost) and I think it's pretty good. Thank you so much for reading my story. One more chapter (I believe) and our journey will be over, sadly. Leave comments because they make me happy and tell me what you truly thought of it :)