A Ghostly Romance

Chapter Nine

"Are you staying here all weekend?" I asked Kevin, hoping to keep the conversation going. My mom called Kevin over hoping to get me out of the house. She thought I spent too much time alone in my room, even though I wasn't technically alone. Michael was with me. She didn't know that, of course, but I'm still not entirely sure why no one else but me can see him.

"Yeah," Kevin answered, holding the door open for me. He thought we should go to Starbucks (a place my mom wouldn't be able to eavesdrop) and get to know each other better. "I visit my grandparents a lot. They're great."

"That's good," I said, thinking of more ways to keep up the conversation. This was the longest I've ever talked to Kevin without stuttering or going completely brain dead.

"Your mom told me you like being by yourself a lot," Kevin said, walking to the long line.

"Sometimes, I guess. It's not like I have much of a choice though," I said, feeling a little worried. If my mom told him that, what else did she tell him?

"Whenever I saw you, you were always by yourself. Unless you were talking to that girl from drama. Elizabeth."

"Yeah," I said shrugging.

"You two weren't good friends, were you?" He asked.

"Not really," I said. "What made you guess that?"

He smiled. "Whenever she was near you you would find some excuse to leave. Usually the bathroom."

I laughed a little, but then raised an eyebrow. "You noticed me at school?"

"What do you mean?" He asked, taking a step closer to the counter.

"It never crossed my mind that you would actually pay attention to me," I said.

"Of course I do," he said. "You're not invisible. The opposite, actually."

"Really?"

"Yeah," he said with a small smile. "There's something about you that, I don't know, I find interesting."

I smiled back, heart thumping faster. He paid attention to me when I thought no one was.

"Can I help you?" The lady at the counter asked loudly.

"Oh, yeah, sorry," Kevin said, stepping up to the counter. "What do you want, Dani?"

"Uh...small hot chocolate, please," I said to the cashier.

"Hot chocolate in spring?" Kevin asked.

"Yeah," I said slowly."I'm not really a fan of coffee." I should have ordered a frappuccino or something, I thought. He'll probably think I'm weird.

"Make that two," he said to the cashier smiling at me. "I'm not really a fan of coffee either."

"Then why did we come to Starbucks?" I asked confused, while he paid the cashier.

"I thought you liked it," he answered simply.

"Here you go," the cashier said, handing us our drinks. "I know you two probably hear this all the time, but you two look like a really good couple."

I looked up at Kevin, feeling my cheeks heating up. He winked at me, causing me to blush more, and told the cashier nicely that we weren't together.

"You two must be really close friends then, right?" She asked, looking at me.

"Not really," I answered, looking down at the drink in my hand.

"We will be, though," Kevin said, putting his arm around my shoulders.

The cashier smiled and motioned to the man behind us to step up to the counter.

"Kevin!" A shrill voice called.

We both turned to see Amelia.

"What are you doing with your arm around her?" She asked, with obvious disgust on her face.

Kevin immediately took his arm off my shoulders. "What are you doing here?"

"I came for a surprise visit," she said, eyeing me up and down. "Are you cheating on me with that nobody?"

I stood frozen in place, not knowing what to do. Sure, I was pissed that she was treating me like I wasn't even there, but, I just....froze. One of the many qualities I hated about myself.

"She's not a nobody, Amelia, and stop acting like she's not even there," Kevin said, looking slightly frustrated. "Amelia, this is my friend Dani."

I smiled slightly. Kevin's standing up for me, and said we were friends.

"How do you even know her?" Amelia asked, taking Kevin away from my side.

"She goes to our school," he answered. "She just moved over here."

"Strange," Amelia said, wrapping her arms around Kevin. "I've never seen her before."

"Yes, you have. I was helping her after she fell in the rain, remember?"

"Whatever. So, Kevin," she said, pulling him closer. "Why don't we go someplace where we can be alone and have a little fun." Since Amelia was practically his height, she didn't have to stand on her tiptoes in order to start kissing his cheek, heading for his lips.

I looked down, embarrassed. "I'm...gonna go."

"Amelia, stop," Kevin said, gently moving away. "I was supposed to spend the day with Dani."

Amelia pouted. "But I'm your girlfriend. You should spend time with me."

"It's fine, Kevin," I said, already walking towards the exit. "I wouldn't want to ruin your...plans."

"But-" He started, trying to walk towards me.

"Don't," I said, stepping outside. "I'll see you later."

"Doubt it," Amelia said with a smirk on her lips.

Kevin elbowed her gently with an annoyed look on his face. "See ya."
♠ ♠ ♠
Any comments, advice, and criticisms can make this an even better story. If you have any ideas, please message or comment.