‹ Prequel: Best Man
Status: Work In Progress

Good Man

Union

Image

"Let your love endure beyond the last sunset."

____________________________________________________


Tears were running down Caroline's face as she stood at the altar, looking up the church aisle with her delicate bouquet of pale pink roses and dark pink azaleas. Pachelbel's Canon in D floated through air from the Spanish guitar belonging to an old friend of her biological father's. And there, at the back of the church, making her entrance, was Tiffany Michelle Leveille; Caroline's biological half-sister, better known as Timmy.

At a the demure age of twenty-seven, Timmy made a beautiful bride in her simple gown made specially for her by Vera Wang, one of several wedding gifts from Caroline. Her bouquet of white roses, white calla lilies and white azaleas held in front of her, their father, Alexander, looped his arm through hers as they walked, side by side, down the aisle and toward the altar.

Caroline's children, Michael and Chloe, walked a few feet in front of their Aunt Timmy, as Ring Bearer and Flower Girl, respectively. Being only two years old, however, Chloe was a tad bit errant and needed her slightly older brother to hold her hand as they walked down the aisle as well. And since she was too young yet to grasp the concept of throwing flower petals on the runner going up the aisle, the young Pritchard girl simply carried her own bouquet, of pink roses.

Fake ones.

She was known to try and eat the real deal.

Caroline and Timmy shared a smile as she reached the altar with Alexander. The priest said a few words and then it was time for Alexander to place his youngest daughter's hands into that of Seth's; the man who would become his son-in-law in about a half hour. Caroline took her sister's bouquet for her as she ushered both of her children off with their 'Grandpa Alex' to sit with him in the first pew along with Gerard, who she'd invited to the wedding as her guest.

Simply on the platonic level.

The green-eyed man smiled at her and she smiled back, but only briefly, as she turned to focus on her sister and future brother-in-law.

Seth, another green-eyed man, was completely wonderful to Timmy and Caroline couldn't be any happier. He had a well-paying job in Plattsburgh as foreman with a Construction firm and, together with her salary as a high school English teacher, the two already owned their own house just outside Plattsburgh, in the town of Morrisonville.

Caroline knew Seth would treat her well and the two would live a good life together and hopefully raise beautiful, healthy children together as well. After all, the pair of them were good-looking individuals.

She smiled at the thought of nieces and nephews. Not only would she be getting a niece or nephew by way of Giselle and Tre in a two months' time, but she also had the future offspring of Timmy and Seth to think about.

The ceremony carried on in somewhat of a blur, due in part to Caroline's daydreaming. She was half-listening as the vows were exchanged and the rings were slipped onto one another's finger. She heard the priest ask the age-old, usually unanswered question of "if there's anyone here who believes these two should not go forth in marriage, speak now or forever hold your piece," to which, of course, went unanswered, and she heard the distinct announcement of "by the grace of god and the state of New York, I now pronounce the two of you, husband and wife. Now kiss your bride, already."

There was laughter throughout the church as Timmy smiled at the man who was now her husband, and welcome his arms around her as his lips descended upon hers. Clapping echoed forth and the guitar strings sprang back to life, playing the ever cliche wedding march as Mr. and Mrs. Seth O'Conner turned to their guests and, hand in hand, walked up the aisle.

Caroline followed with the best man, Seth's younger brother Freddie, and so on, so forth.

After the receiving line of congratulations and well wishings were bestowed upon Timmy and Seth by their family and friends, the entire wedding party stayed behind for photographs in the church with the photographer before leaving in style by way of a stretch limousine, to head toward the reception that was held on the waterfront of Lake Champlain.

The wind coming off the cool waters proved to be a task to overcome after the meal and it was time to throw the bouquet. Caroline stood on the sidelines, despite Timmy's urging to join in, as the bride turned her back on the single ladies at the party, grouped together; throwing her mock bouquet over her shoulders.

The first time was moot. It went completely over everyone's heads and almost ended up in the water due to the wind.

The second time it fell short.

The third time was a charm, even though it hit Timmy's best friend smack dab in the face before she caught it. Even so, at least she caught the bouquet.

The garter toss came next, only after Seth had successfully taken it off Timmy's leg with nothing but his teeth. Over his shoulder in one smooth toss, Gerard, who was simply walking past, probably on purpose, shot his right hand up and snatched it before the other single guys even had a chance to react.

Caroline found herself laughing quietly at how he'd attained the object and then how much Timmy's best friend was blushing when Gerard had to slide the garter up the young woman's leg. She was turning so red at the fact that some famous rockstar was doing such a thing, that she had to hold the bouquet she'd caught in front of her face.

The wedding continued to wear on. The cake was cut and the wedded couple had already smushed their respective slices into each other's mouths and up each other's nostrils.

Dancing was now in order.

DJ AM, Nicole Ritchie's ex-fiance, as favor to Caroline, was the MC of the evening as he spun the couple's musical selections. The first dance was between Timmy and Seth, followed by the Father-Daughter dance between Timmy and Alex, then the Mother-Son dance between Seth and his mother Colleen. Next was the wedding party, and then everyone was able to join in. Caroline took turns dancing with her kids, held in her arms and on her hips. Even Seth danced with his new niece, Chloe, who was probably in love with him. As he swirled and bopped her around to some upbeat number, her long brown hair swayed from side to side and she was all smiles.

When Gerard asked Caroline to dance, she smiled and joined him on the dance floor which was actually the grass, since the dancing was outside under a tent.

"This was a really nice wedding," Gerard commented. "Thanks for inviting me."

"I almost didn't, you know. I mean, not to go back into my depressed widow phase but, last year when I was helping Timmy put this altogether, Mike was the one who was supposed to join me as my guest," Caroline replied frankly.

"Understandable. But still, thanks."

"You're welcome." Caroline smiled. "Did you get the garter back from Timmy's friend?"

"No. Why? Was I supposed to?"

"Well, yeah. Traditionally, at weddings, the guy who catches the garter keeps the garter."

"Even after I put it on her leg?"

Caroline nodded. "Yeah. At my uncle's wedding when I was a kid, the guy who caught my aunt's garter put it on the leg of whatever woman caught the bouquet. Then he had to sit down and she had to put the garter on him." She shrugged. "I don't know who started that particular tradition, but you need to get it back. She keeps the bouquet, you keep the garter."

"Well, I guess I better. I don't wanna anger the Gods of Tradition."

Smirking, Caroline inched closer as they danced. "Definitely not."

____________________________________________________


Soon, the stars were twinkling brightly in the sky despite the random amount of cloud cover here and there. Majority of the guests had already left and gone their ways, and now it was time for Timmy and Seth to take the limo and head to their hotel suite in town for their first night as man and wife. They would be leaving the following day, bright and early, on a flight across the Atlantic, to France for their honeymoon.

Gerard, in his rented car, drove Caroline and her passed out children back to their own hotel in Plattsburgh.

Once there, he helped her by carrying Mikey while she carried Chloe into the adjoining suite where her kids would sleep. They were little so they shared the same bed, though each side had a sort of guard wall attached, compliments of the hotel for such cases, so that her young tykes wouldn't roll off the bed and onto the floor sometime during the night.

Closing the door behind them, and as quietly as possible, Gerard followed Caroline into the sitting area where they sat down. Though, within a moment of sitting down, he was suggesting he head to his own suite for the night to catch some shuteye after such a long day. Caroline declined his suggestion and asked him to sit up with her for a while longer.

Being alone with her thoughts occasionally depressed her.

So, the two of them sat there, sober as sober could be, albeit somewhat tired, and chatted in quiet voices about this and that.

With everything running through her mind lately, Caroline couldn't help but think that she was scared of being alone forever; no Mike in her life to fill the void he'd left behind.

She'd relayed as much to Gerard, who nodded understandingly. But then she caught him off guard.

"I don't want to be alone, Gee. And I'm not sure how to do that without betraying Mike's memory," she admitted.

"I doubt that's possible. Betraying his memory, that is."

With that said, Caroline moved closer to him, his eyes studying her movements carefully. She leaned up against him and then stood briefly, only long enough to angle herself in front of him and sit in his lap. Placing her hands on both sides of his face, she looked him in the eyes, in all seriousness.

"I don't want to be alone tonight."

Taking the hint, after short hesitation, Gerard leaned in and kissed her, snaking his arms around her waist.

"You won't be alone tonight," he amended.