Elmo's World

Romeo Plays Juliet

Physics. P for Physics, P for Pointless.

Ohh yeah.

========

“Isn’t that a-squared-b?”

“No! Good god, that’s algebra! Where were you?”

“Mentally absent?”

Great,” I rolled my eyes. “Honestly. Why are you even here?”

Gerard Way scowled at me, hand twitching with the prospect of hitting me over the head.

“Because I was forced to?”

Isn’t everyone, though?

I grunted as I slammed the plastic door of my locker shut, allowing it to rejoin its entire row of identical twins.

Gee rolled his eyes, finally hauling out the book he (and I) were meant to read for literature – Romeo and Juliet.

Heaven help me.

“Romeo, Romeo! Where art thou, Romeo?” Gerard trilled in a sing-song imitation of a girl, flapping the accursed paperback in front of my severely pissed off face.

“You fail, Way.” I snorted, pushing the seventeen year old out of the way (no pun intended).

“Hey Frank!” Gerard increased his pace, catching up with me. “I’m sorry, okay?”

“Riiight.”

“Aren’t you supposed to say ‘You jump, I jump’?” He grinned, hazel eyes lighting up with mischievous sparks.

I groaned mentally. Not again!

“I thought that was the ‘Titanic’?” I tried changing the subject. I succeeded…but at a price.

“Hey!”

“What?” I whirled around to face the dude, highly irritated at this point.

Gerard had ‘I am superior to thee’ written all over his pale face. “You actually watch that kind of stuff?” He smirked. What a classic.

“No, but my mother does!”

“And you still pay attention to what she’s watching?”

I scowled. This wasn’t going the way I wanted it to. “It doesn’t help much that she’s becoming a human fountain in the living room whenever something like that comes on the television!”

“205.”

“Oh.”

Dear lord. Room 205. Literature. Romeo and Juliet.

Just kill me already, Godammit.

=====

“Learn to look at literature with a creative eye.”

Gerard made a show of flourishing the novel, waving it about like a demented chicken.

“How?” I groaned, slumping back into my seat. Great, page twenty-five, blahblahblah…fuck you Mr. Brown, who needs to know their family history? Not me.

“Like what happens when Romeo plays Juliet?”

My chair made a harsh screeching noise as I threatened to fall out of it. What the hell…?

I gave a derisive snort, whirling around in my seat to face the smirking teen. “As in Romeo toying with Juliet’s feelings, Romeo having sex with Juliet, or Romeo taking up the role of Juliet because the actor fell ill?” I raised an eyebrow.

Gee shrugged. “All of the above?” His pale lips promptly curved up in a cheeky smile.

“Fine,” I huffed, pouting. Holding up three fingers, I counted down the points one by one.

“One; World War Three would commence.
Two; Romeo would probably get pregnant and
Three; Romeo isn’t up to the multi-tasking.”

That defied the laws and limitations of weirdness, if you ask me. Oh please…Romeo was a complete, total asshole, if you ask me. I'm not one for soppy romances.

I hate literature. You’d better thank god that I decided to summarize my feelings.

“Creative enough?” I spoke up at last, opting for a sarcastic tone of voice. Anything that kept my brain awake for more than five seconds deserved a standing ovation as well as an honorable mention.

Gee nodded, mass of black hair bobbing up and down in the sunlight as he gave a casual yawn. Yuck, did he forget to brush his teeth or something?

“Dude, brush your teeth!” I gave his desk a friendly shove before I turned back to face the whiteboard (and Mr. Brown with his Romeo & Juliet).

A hopeful glance at the classroom clock affirmed my suspicions. Fifteen more minutes till…hang on! I started, digging out a piece of dog-eared paper from the bag at my black conversed feet.

My schedule.

Oh god. I ran a hand through the sweaty strands of my dyed-black hair. Oh god no.

In the process of scanning the piece of paper, I couldn’t help but mutter under my breath. Force of habit, okay? Sue me.

“Monday…Geography…Wednesday…Science…Thursday…”

Gerard leant forward (he was seated at an identical wooden desk behind me), a stray lock of his shoulder length hair brushing against my cheek, sending an involuntary shiver throughout my body. “What’s up, Frankie?”

Cut it out with the nicknames.

I could have kicked myself there and then.

Damn fate, it was a load of bullshit.

“Maths! For crying out loud, Godammit. Maths!”

Gee winced beside me. “Ouch, poor you.” He didn’t sound sympathetic.

I turned my head, choosing to glare into his hazel eyes. “You don’t even sound sad for me!” I pouted.

“And why should I?” he broke into a classic smirk, and I could feel a hint of a grin tugging at the corners of my mouth. I couldn’t stay mad at someone like that for long, it seemed.

The corners of Gerard’s mouth curled up like the Grinch when he got a wonderful, awful idea. “Wanna skip it together with me?”

He puffed a gust of air at my face, lifting a little of my side fringe off my face and off my eyes.

I shivered then, finally realizing exactly how close we were – our noses were almost touching. Dear god, this was awkward AND freaking me out just a tad on the inside. Hallelujah – all I could do was gape and blush.

Brilliant move, Frankie.

I finally managed to nod. (Yay?)

“Great,” Gerard favored me with a full-force grin, causing myself to break into one of my own. What can I say? Contagious.

He glanced for a split second at the classroom clock. “Five more minutes.”

Hey hey hallelujah.