Troubled Seas

Dinner

“Do you even know how to use it?” Jack laughed as Katie jumped about, stabbing imaginary foes.

“Of course not!” she was out of breath but extremely pleased with herself. “You’re going to teach me.”

“I am?” Jack wouldn’t mind that in the least. Pressing close to her body, guiding her arm with his… He cocked his head and stared shamelessly at Katie. She had her wild blond hair wrapped in a tight bun that was unable to prevent strands of hair from spilling loose. Every time she ljumped those strands of gold shimmered in the sunlight.

“Ye shouldn’t stare Jack,” Joshamee Gibbs whispered to Jack. “It let’s everyone know who ye thinkin’ about.”

Jack’s back straightened but his eyes remained fixed on Katie. “What do you want Gibbs?”

“To finish our conversation…” Gibbs spoke quietly enough so that Katie would not over hear. He looked behind him at the barely moving street, it was far too early in the morning for the dastardly people of Tortuga to be awake.

Jack’s eyes narrowed, he watched Katie’s sash fly out as she spun, he enjoyed the double movement. “Katie, if you stab Wes’ sign he’s going to take your cutlass back.”

“He needs a new sign anyway,” she commented of the blacksmiths sign that was currently only hanging by one chain causing it to be lopsided.

“He’ll take the sword back just the same,” Jack warned. “Can we do this later?” he asked Gibbs.

“Sure Jack, sure. Keep a stead eye on her Jack… ye have to keep a steady eye on her,” Gibbs patted Jack’s shoulder and moved on down the street.

Jack felt uneasy, anytime Gibbs found himself in a repetitive mode, something was dangerously wrong. Jack admired the way Katie’s blue eyes twinkled with mischief. He would be damned if he let anything happen to her. Curse or no curse, nothing was going to separate him from Katie.

“Come love, it’s time to eat,” Jack stood up from the barrel he had been sitting on top of.

“I’m not hungry.”

“The food’s not that bad,” he smirked at her lie.

Kate grimaced and sheathed her cutlass. “Where shall we eat Jack?”

“The Faithful Bride.”

“No Jack. No.”

Jack sighed, “You tell me you like Tortuga, and yet you hate the best thing about the island?”

“I do not consider The Faithful Bride the best thing about this island Jack. The availability of rum is my favorite quality so far.”

Jack felt his chest swelling with pride. Two days as a pirate and she already had a fondness for rum. “Then rum you shall have,” Jack guided Katie into a shabby tavern and order a round of drinks to wash down salted pork.