Sequel: Let Your Heart Win
Status: Complete - check out the sequel...

The Only One Who Needs to Know

Chapter 5

“I know there are a million shops in California but I’m going to miss Oxford Street.” Cali announced as she and her best friend Rachel stood on the escalators at Oxford Circus Underground Station.

“Yeah me too, especially Blue Banana” she replied, stepping off at the bottom. Cali chuckled.

“You know, I’ve told you before, Blue Banana sells near enough the same stuff as Hot Topic right?” she asked as they made the way onto the platform. Rachel looked at her and shrugged her shoulders.

“Oh, really that’s awesome. Now I can’t wait to get to California” Rachel said enthusiastically. Cali shock her head and laughed at her best friend as the train came thundering into the station. The train was reasonably empty when they got on so they were able to get seats for themselves and their bags of shopping.

“What time did you say the car was going to pick us up?” Rachel asked. Cali rolled her eyes.

“Do you ever listen to what I’m saying?” she asked as Rachel shrugged her shoulders.

“I was listening. I really was. I just missed the part with the time.” She said with an innocent smile.

“Dad said it should pick us up at about seven.” Cali reiterated.

“Did he mention what other bands are going to be there?” Rachel asked. Cali didn’t say a word. She just stared back at Rachel, her lips pursed together.

“You’ve already told me haven’t you?” she asked. Cali nodded.

“Sorry Cal, you know what I’m like when I’m shopping.” Rachel began to defend her lack of attention.

“Rach, I told you yesterday morning.” Cali reminded her, widening her eyes waiting for her to remember. Rachel looked puzzled for a moment.

“Did you? When?” she asked visibly searching her mind to try and remember.

“After my dad called. You were watching Kerrang I think.”

“Total Bullet? Oh come on now Cali, do you really expect me to remember anything you’ve told me when my boy is on TV do you?” she asked bemused as the pair of them stepped off the train and dodged their way through the crowd of commuters up onto the street.

“Ok, so I’ll forgive you this once. I should have known better.” Cali replied.

“Wow girls you both look amazing!” James said as Cali and Rachel climbed into the car.

“Thanks dad. I wasn’t sure you’d approve.” Cali said trying to pull the hem of her dress further down her bare legs.

“Cali, I learned a long time ago that you do what you want and I’m not going to stop you.” he replied.

“Although I’d approve more if you wore something a little longer.” He added.

Cali rolled her eyes and took the bottle of beer Lars was handing her and took a long drink from it.

“You’re really going to take advantage of the free bar tonight aren’t you?” James asked watching her with a smile. She nodded, returning the smile.

“Like father like daughter!” Kirk laughed.

“I think I’d be stupid not to! After all it’s kind of a celebration for me as well.” Cali replied after taking another long drink from the bottle, draining the last drop.
The drive took less than twenty minutes, but Cali still managed to drink another three bottles of beer before it pulled up in front of The Brewery, where the awards were being held.

Loud cheers were heard as soon as the door was opened and Cali and Rachel followed the guys out and across the red carpet.

Cali instinctively grabbed hold of Rachel’s hand and steered her passed all the fans and paparazzi cameras towards the bar, flashing their passes at the security guards on the look out for people who shouldn’t be there.

“Right, Sambuca?” Cali asked as turning to face Rachel as they reached the bar.

“Hell yeah, bring them on!” Rachel yelled.

“Two shots of Sambuca please.” Cali asked the bartender with a broad smile.

“Make that six.” James said coming up beside them. The bartender nodded with a smile and turned to pour their drinks.

“We’re on table ten.” James said as he picked up his shot glass and knocked it back quickly.

Most of the tables were starting to fill up with the various bands and other media types. As they made their way over to the table, Cali’s eyes flitted around the crowded room, actively searching for one person.

“Matt Tuck’s over there Hun.” She said, disheartened that she hadn’t found him.

“Oh my God where?” Rachel yelled searching the room frantically.

“Over there, next to the guys from Trivium.” Cali replied, trying to discreetly point in the direction of Rachel’s dream man.

“I am so going over and saying Hiya.” Rachel said standing back up.

“Wait, have a few more drinks first, don’t scare the rock star straight away!” Cali warned. Rachel grumbled but sat back down, quickly knocking back the rest of her drink.

“Is that all for us?” she asked pointing to the bottles of wine that sat in coolers in the centre of the table.

“Yeah.” Lars said as he joined them.

“Awesome! It doesn’t take a lot of wine to get me drunk.” She said cheerfully leaning over the table to grab a bottle.

As she poured herself a glass Cali glanced around the room again still looking for one person in particular. She knew that Avenged Sevenfold were up for a few awards and was sure that they were going to be there. A small smile graced her lips as she spotted the tall, slim frame of Jimmy make his way through the maze of tables. Her eyes followed him, her smile widening as he sat down at a table with the other members of Avenged, more significantly, Brian.

“Good Evening and Welcome to the Kerrang Awards 2008” Scott from Anthrax yelled, starting the awards.

Cali sat back and watched as some of her favourite acts were nominated and received awards. She slowly helped the others on the table make their way through the free alcohol on the table. Every now and then her eyes would fall onto the table where Brian sat, almost willing him to turn around. She was glad to see their girlfriends weren’t with them as this provided her with the opportunity to hopefully have a repeat performance of Berlin.

She was taken out of her thoughts as Christina Scabbia announced that Avenged Sevenfold had won the award for best album.

She watched as the five guys got up onto the stage to accept the award, giggling as Jimmy continued his thank-yous while the other guys walked off stage to do their winners interview and stuff. She was watching them return to their seats when again she was brought out of her thoughts as the guy on stage mentioned albums she knew better than any other.

“Quite simply these men are the kings of metal, let’s look at them in action.” Paul Brannigan announced as a medley of Metallica songs started to play on the large screen behind him.

“Ladies and gentlemen, please be upstanding and show your appreciation for the winners of the 2008 Kerrang Inspiration awards, Metallica.” He announced as the clip ended and everyone in the room stood up to cheer and applaud Metallica as they slowly made their way up to the stage to accept the award.

As the guys began their speeches, Cali stood up on her chair in order to get a better look over the mass of people who were still stood up watching their idols.

As James finished his speech Cali cupped her hands around her mouth to cheer.

“Woo! Yeah, I love you Dad!” she cheered loudly as she applauded as they began to walk off stage to the sound of Enter Sandman. As she stepped down from the chair her eyes met a pair of dark chocolate brown ones. A smile spread across her face as she waved over at Brian who had obviously heard her cheer.

“Ok now let’s party!” Scott cheered from the stage as he ended the ceremony with a large cheer from the crowd.

“Do you fancy some more shots?” Cali asked Rachel who was gazing over towards the table where Bullet for my Valentine were sat.

“Hmm?” she replied.

“Shots. Do. You. Want. One?” Cali asked slowly.

“Oh, yeah, I’ve been thinking about it and I think I need more alcohol before I go talk to him.” She said with a sigh. Cali chuckled as she got up and walked over to the bar where she ordered a tray of 12 shots.

“Hey Cali” a male voice said from besides her causing her to turn to face Jimmy.

“Hey Jim, how’s things?” she smiled as the tray of shots was placed in front of her.

“Pretty awesome, wasn’t expecting to see you here though.” He replied, his piercing blue eyes sparkling.

“Yeah it was a bit short notice, dad called me the other day and asked if I fancied coming. I’m not really one to turn down the offer of free booze and a party.” She replied.

“Fancy joining us?” Jimmy asked nodding his head over towards the table where the other guys were sat. As she glanced over she noticed Brian turn his head as if he was listening to whatever Johnny was saying.

“Yeah, but um, I’ve got to do some celebrating with my dad first, I’ll come and see you guys later.” She replied returning her gaze to Jimmy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cali and Rachel
Ok so,
#1. I know that in reality the gig in Berlin where they met was in 2006 and these awards took part in 2008 yet in the story only months have passed, but that's how it works in this story, OK?! I'm not stupid :)
#2, a few of you who have left comments have mentioned about Brian not knowing about Michelle cheating on him! You're got confused and I know how it's happened!
When, at the end of Chapter 4 Jimmy says "“I don’t think even Brian knows.” he means he doesn't know why he's still with her when he knows she cheats on him when he's on tour! If you remember in chapter 3:
“Michelle likes to believe in the ‘not in the same state it doesn’t count’ rule.” Jimmy said walking back into the room with a smirk. Cali looked up at him briefly before returning her gaze to Brian who nodded.
“It’s something I’ve learnt to deal with.” he stated simply.
“Do you play by the same rules?” Cali asked
Hope that clears things up, sorry for the confusion :)
Anyway, more comments and subscriptions? I've only got one star left to get :)