‹ Prequel: A Horrible Romance

A Unique and Torn Romance

Home "Sweet" Home

“Take a left at the next side road,” I say as I point to the tree further ahead. The road is kinda hidden behind it. We drove past it twice when we first moved here. This town could use some more road signs.

Bob suddenly slams the breaks and we both get jerked forward; then backward. My back hits the seat so hard that my neck actually hurts a little.

“Sorry. Is this the turn?” I look over and see Bob pointing at the road that leads to my house.
I begin to nod, but stop since, 1. Bob can’t see me; and 2. My neck hurts.

“Yeah,” I say and begin to rub my neck. I’m glad I’m not driving when I see Bob twisting his head over his shoulder before turning.
We get onto the road and immediately we get pressed back into our seats because of the rise of the hill. I really don’t get how my mom can even consider biking into town for groceries.

“Do I have to make a turn at some point or something?” Bob asks over his shoulder as he keeps following the snail shell-shaped road.

“Uh, no. It’s a private road.” Bob nods, but still keeps his slow speed as we ascent the hill.
Soon the trees thin out and disappear behind us, and the clear view of the city comes into sight. I don’t find the view very interesting or fascinating. It’s not like our town is LA or anything like that. It’s just a lame, suburban town with small houses. It’s a boring view.

Bob seems intrigued, though. He keeps turning his head quickly, before turning it back to stare at the road. When wet, the road can be slippery. It hasn’t rained for days, though, so the road is completely dry, which means the drive is dull, really.

Soon my house appears ahead, but Bob is too intrigued by the view from up here.
When he turns his head back to look at the road, his eyes immediately look up at the house. Or mansion – whatever you’d define it as. Castle will also be accepted, since my dad is who he is and all.

“Wow,” Bob gasps. When I look over at him, his jaw is dropped – literally. If we were in my car, I’d get him a bib to keep him from drooling all over the seat. But it’s his, so I really don’t give a rat’s ass – or any ass, for that matter.

Bob stops the car, pulls the hand break and leans forward in his seat to look at my house. I just glance out the window. I’ve already seen it too much – obviously.

“Your family must be fucking filthy rich.” A puff of air exits my mouth as I hold back a laugh/grunt. I tend to grunt sometimes during sudden laughs. Not cool. Not cool at all!
“Sorry, but shit! It’s fucking huge!” I snort a laugh at his easily-misunderstood remark.
What? I’m a hormone-filled teenager with a serious lack of action! Cut me some slack.
Bob glares over at me.

“What?” I ask – sounding more innocent then I intended to.
Bob just rolls his eyes and shakes his head, before he reaches back for his backpack – a hand on the door handle.
“Wait!” I say – well, exclaim is probably the right word here. Yell would also have been accepted.
Bob freezes and looks up at me with a stunned, rather stupid, look on his face.
“My parents are home. They’re gonna wonder why we’re here so early.” Bob’s stunned look becomes even more stunned, and the light bulb that apparently goes off in his head could blind me if I cut his head open right now.

“Oh,” he says and looks off to the side – obviously deeply lost in his thoughts. Fuck, he looks stupid! His mouth his still shaped as an O. He looks like a fish. Good thing unicorns don’t eat fish.
“Oh, I got it!” I look up at him to see him smiling proudly. I bet the light bulb in his head would full on kill me with its crazy light beam if I cut his head open right now.
Don’t worry; I’ll put my saw away now.
“We’ll just tell ‘em that the school is flooded. It happened once when I was a freshmen.” I raise my eyebrows in surprise. Not because of the remark about the school having been flooded, but because he actually thought of something clever. Obviously the zombies hadn’t eaten his brain yet.

“But wouldn’t they have called our parents if school was out?” I didn’t wanna shoot down his plan, but I was just being realistic here. My mom is the nosiest, most doubtful person in the world. Not even my sweet, innocent, little unicorn-eyes could convince her – at least not alone.

“They can’t call every single parent. There’re probably about 2,000 students at our school! You expect them to make 2,000 phone calls to tell the parents something that the kids would eventually tell them anyway?” That does seem unrealistic. And even handing out 2,000 notes, would seem unrealistic.
Only one conclusion can be made from all this; Bob is a smart fucker!

“You’re a good liar,” I tell him, meaning it as a complement.
He leans back in his seat and takes off his seat belt. He looks proud.

“Yeah.” He smiles widely – grinning.
“Since I’m a gay football star, I kinda have to be a good liar.” He leans back and grabs his backpack, before he finally gets out of the car. I grab mine from between my feet and get out as well.

He must have it harder than me. After all, I’m the invisible kid at school. Well, maybe not completely invisible, since I hang out with the only green guy in school, but at least no one knows anything about me – including Bob.
And I’m not gonna tell him everything. Even though I know he won’t tell anyone – since I now know his deepest darkest secret – I think he’d be too creeped out to even look at me anymore. I’d really like to have him as a friend. Then I’d finally have someone to talk to.

“Mikey? What are you doing home so early?” I look up and see my mom standing outside the front door. I smile at her, wave and walk up the stairs towards her.

“School’s cancelled. Water main broke and flooded the whole school.” My mom’s face turns from ponder into shock. I roll my eyes at her ‘it’s the end of the world’-reaction.
“Relax mom. They’ll have it fixed by tomorrow.” I stop in front of her. Then her face changes again.

“Wouldn’t the school have called?” I look over my shoulder to see that Bob has followed me halfway up the stairs. He looks confident – like he just knows she’ll believe anything I’ll feed her.

“Mom,” I say as I turn my head back to face her.
“Do you really think the school would make, like, 2,000 phone calls? Or write 2,000 notes, for that matter?” I finish my arguments off with an innocent look – yes; my unicorn-eyes shall do their magic.
And they do.

“Alright. I’m sorry.” She nods – looking a bit guilty. I just smile lightly.
“Who’s this?” she asks and looks over my shoulder.

“This is Bob. He used to hang out with Gerard and Ray.” Bob suddenly appears next to me and waves shortly at my mom.

“Oh. Well, come on in.” She turns around and steps inside. Bob and I follow – Bob slower than me. Again; I’m used to this house and Bob isn’t.
“Be sure to do your homework, now that you’ve got so much time on your hands,” my mom says – intently torturing me – and walks away towards the kitchen. I honestly don’t get how she can spent so much time out there.
I walk over to the stairs – automatically guessing Bob will follow. I hear his footsteps run after me when I’m hallway up the stairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I admit it: It's a filler...
Sorry...
Will a oneshot make up for it?