‹ Prequel: A Horrible Romance

A Unique and Torn Romance

Fate Agrees

I ran to the pond. The car was still there – keys still in the ignition. It was untouched.
I got in and turned the key, and as if fate agreed with my choice, it started.

I turn up onto our road and begin the climb up.
I wipe my tears away and try not to crash the car into one of the trees. Not that I actually care. Or that anyone would care about me. All they’d care about is the fact that this crappy car would be in their way whenever they wanted to drive up this road.
I’m just the crying, whiney, gay, pathetic, scared little kid who ran off like a fucking coward when his big brother outed him to the entire school. Who the fuck would care?!

I speed up – not caring about safety. With my one hand on the wheel – my arm hurting from turning it so much – I move my other to my side and unbuckle my seatbelt. It doesn’t matter if I wear it.
I wipe more tears out of my eyes – cursing myself for crying. I’m just the fucking unicorn. The sweet, innocent, gay little fucking thing that runs on rainbows and dazzle people with my beautiful horn and mane.
Except I don’t! I hide both underneath a hat. A fucking hat that makes me sweat. A hat that makes my head look too big. A hat that bulges in the middle.
I pull it off – almost tearing it apart – before I toss it into the back of the car. I can feel my horn unfolding. I squeeze my eyes shut.

I turn the wheel back and drive straight ahead. I open my eyes.
Shit!
Gerard, Frank and Bob are standing outside the house – looking around confused. Frank is the first to turn around and point at me as I drive closer.
I slam the breaks.

The car skids across the loose gravel and eventually comes to a sudden hold. I hold onto the wheel as I stare at the three boys. They only stare back – Bob holding onto the door of his car.
Gerard is the first to move.
I’m second.
I jump out of the car – not bothering to pull the breaks – and run towards the edge.

“Mikey!” I can hear Gerard run after me, but his rushed footsteps disappear when I stop. I step out onto a rock.
“Mikey, please,” Gerard begs. I can hear the sadness, tears and terror in his voice.
Rapid footsteps come closer, before they stop just like Gerard’s did.

“Mikey?” Frank whispers. It’s odd to hear a Frankenstein be scared. It’s odd to hear a vampire be sad. It’s odd to see a unicorn be depressed.
I stare down at the rocked side of the hill, which leads down to the treetops a little further down. Tall conifers reach up towards me – almost begging for me to fall into their embrace. They will catch me – then drop me. I will land on the blanket of dead needles and pine cones. I will land hard, and then this will be over. All the tears will stop. The police will find a dead unicorn-boy in the woods and take me to area 51 and study me like the freak that I am.

“Mikey, please! Step back,” Gerard begs. His voice tremors.
I take a small step forward – my toes sticking over the edge and into thin air.
“Mikey!” I breathe in the fresh air. I can smell the pines and firs beneath me. I can smell the moss. I can smell the dirt.

“Mikey?” Bob says timidly.
I look back over my shoulder and see their swollen, terrified eyes. I give them a knowing look, and I can’t help the slight hint of a smile that appears on my lips.
Bob smiles back – weakly.
I turn around and step forward.
All three of them yell and scream all at once, but I only hear the air that rushes past my ear. It’s freeing. It’s liberating. It’s scary.

I feel my heart getting pushed up into my throat, and I can’t breathe as I continue to fall.
The latitude of my legs suddenly become too much. I kick them around – begging for some kind of footing, but there is none. I can’t stop the air from rushing past me.
My stomach is twirling around and making me sick, but my heart is still blocking my throat.

I want this to stop. I want to stop falling. I want to come down. Or go back up. I don’t want this.
My heart is pounding in my throat. My sight has gone blurry, and all I see is an odd mix of blue, white and green.
I squeeze my eyes shot and clench every muscle in my body. I don’t want to die. I just wanna come down from here. I want this to stop.
I keep tensing. I keep preparing myself for the several crashes. I wait agonizingly for the arms of the trees to hit every part of my body and for the soft ground to break my every bone from the hard, sudden impact.
But I just keep falling.
The air is no longer rushing.

I open my eyes.
It’s all blue and white – no green.
I blink rapidly and look around. Green blotches appear, then disappear again.
I squeeze my eyes shut, and then open them again.
I’m falling.
But I’m not.
I’m…floating. I’m slowly wafting down past the tree tops.

When the sky disappears, a branch softly brushes against my back and gives way for my slow descent – my body softly drifting from side to side as I go.
I land gently on the blanket of needles – not one pine cone digging into my back.
Even though I’m a unicorn, I can’t fly. But apparently; I can float.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah... I ended it happy! But come on; he's a unicorn! =D

Questions:
Do you like the rainbow?
Should it be at the top of the page?
Should I remove it?