Status: IN PROGRESS

Disasterpiece

Chapter Forty-Three

Image

Joey pushed through the crowded fair, pulling me behind him. We passed a few stalls selling corn dogs, but he either didn't notice or didn't care to stop yet. I felt a little disturbed, this wasn't the kind of reaction you'd expect after coming out of a haunted house, I mean I guess some people would run away quickly, but they'd most likely have to be screaming at the same time. This was different, it's like he was trying to put as much distance as he could between the house and himself, without trying to look too suspect.

"Let's just go back to the hotel," I called after him, my arm actually starting to hurt from being pulled a bit too fiercely. Joey came to a stop abruptly, I almost fell into him. Turning to look at me he seemed to suddenly realise that he had been pulling me. His grasp left mine instantly.

"Sorry," he apologised awkwardly, a forlorn look cast itself over his face.

"No sweat," I brushed him off. "Do you want to go back to the hotel?" I asked again, he shook his head.

"Nah, I actually do want a corn dog," he laughed honestly. I couldn't help but smile as I looked around, we appeared to be near the exit of the fair so the crowd was a little more sparse than it had been. Across the way I could see some flashing lights above a dancing hot dog.

"I think there's food over there," I pointed out, Joey turned to look.

"Looks like it, let's just grab some food and leave?" he suggested. I had no problem with that idea, so like insects attracted to light, we walked over to the food stand. Being on the outskirts of the fair it wasn’t as busy as the other food stands, which I think worked for Joey because it meant he could fulfil his craving and get the hell out here.

"What do you want?" he asked, pulling his wallet out from the back pocket of his jeans.

"Stop paying for everything! I can at least get us some cheap greece," I whined, pushing his wallet and his hand down. Joey had paid for everything we'd done together on tour so far and it was really starting to make me feel uncomfortable.

"Yeah don't you know that she doesn't like it when guys actually are nice to her," a voice snuck up on us. I spun around to find Corey and a familiar looking red head, standing there grinning, hand in hand.

"Hey I'll have you know that I've let him pay for everything so far," I pointed out, sticking my tongue at Corey childishly. He just chuckled.

"Times are a changing," he mused playfully. "Oh this is Stephanie by the way...Stephanie this is my sister VJ and Joey who you probably recognise," Corey said to his accomplice, finally introducing all of us after I've been bugging him for a week about her.

"Hey," the three of us said in unison to each other, it was a little funny.

"Have you guys been here for long?" I enquired as we took a few steps away from the stall to allow other people to make orders.

"Not that long but we were just leaving when we spotted you," Corey answered, nudging his head in the direction of the exit gates.

"We were just grabbing some food and then leaving too," I informed him.

"Really? Well we were going to grab some dinner from a sushi place we spotted down the road if you two want to join us?" Corey suggested. I glanced at Joey who shrugged a little and nodded; I was guessing that he didn’t care as long as we got out of this fair soon.

"Yeah sounds good," I said. We all headed towards the exit and began to stroll down the road towards dinner. Corey and Stephanie kept their hands in a tight clasp while Joey and I just walked next to each other, Joey with his head bowed down slightly and hands in his pockets.

"So how long have you two been together?" Stephanie asked, trying to keep the conversation going as she looked between Joey and I. Corey and Joey laughed under their breaths, but I felt my face redden a little.

"Oh...we're not together, just friends," I explained awkwardly, Stephanie seemed a little embarrassed.

"I'm really sorry I just assumed," she apologised, wide eyed and uncomfortable about her mistake.

"It's not your fault, they're just too lazy to get their acts together," Corey said to her, winking cheekily at me.

"Corey!" I exclaimed in shock at his abrasiveness; if my face went red before it was nothing compared to now. I was too scared to even glance over at Joey to see his reaction, all I could do was slap Corey on the arm, he didn’t mind though – he was just enjoying my slow, internal death by embarrassment.

“You’re a horrible brother,” Stephanie tutted at him.

“No I’m not, she loves me!” Corey shot back; grabbing me around the neck he pulled me inside his side and began to ruffle up my hair.

“Jerk!” I screamed, flailing my arms around in an attempt to get him off.

“Let her go you brute!” Stephanie yelled, trying her best to help me fight him off. Corey just laughed and continued. Finally with our combined efforts we managed to unclasp him; by that time I was panting pretty heavily. Stephanie stood next to me and tutted at Corey again.

“I say we ditch these losers,” she said, nudging me in the side with a wink.

“Yeah, fuck ‘em!” I agreed, purposely glaring teasingly at Corey. We turned together and started to run away from the guys, laughing.

“I didn’t do anything!” Joey called indignantly after us.

“Sorry!” I called back over my head. We continued to run for a few blocks until between the laughter and exercise, we couldn’t run anymore. Slowing down to a walk we grinned at each other, trying to normalise our heart and breathing rates.

“Think they’ll chase us?” she asked, wiping her sweaty brow on the back of her arm.

“No way, they’re both too lazy for that,” I snorted, to which she grinned. We continued to walk down the street which was taking us further away from urban development and more into the suburbs.

“So what’s the story with you and Corey?” I asked, taking the chance to find out more about them as I knew Corey would still keep closed up even though I’d met her. She tucked her hands into her jean pockets and shrugged light-heartedly.

“Oh you know, boy meets girl, girl likes boy, boy likes girl, girl thinks they have a lot in common, boy just enjoys the ride…so to speak,” she replied, making us both laugh.

“No but really, he’s great,” she added seriously with a smile.

“He’s one of the most decent guys out there,” I agreed with a nod. We came to a stop at the corner of an intersection and looked around unsurely.

“I have no idea where we are,” Stephanie said.

“Ah…” I bit my lip. “Me either…should we go back?” I suggested; looking down the street we had just came down.

“Do you remember the way?” she laughed, looking too. “Coz I don’t.”

“Good point,” I chuckled. “There was a taxi rank one street back, we can always just go back to the hotel, I bet you any money that’s what they’ve done?” I put to her. We both agreed this was the best plan and walked back to find a taxi; giving the driver the name of the hotel. On our way we made him stop for drive through junk food, which we managed to scoff down before we’d even pulled up at the hotel.

“I’m not opening it,” Corey’s stubborn voice came through the door as we knocked at his room.

“Don’t be a bitch,” Stephanie jokingly retorted. There was some scuffling heard on the other side of the door before it was hauled open.

“You come in,” Corey said, grabbing Stephanie he yanked her towards him – she squealed. “You stay out,” he added to me, poking out his tongue and slamming the door in my face.

“Jerk!” I laughed. The door suddenly opened again and Joey was pushed outside straight into me.

“Take him,” Corey said, then slammed the door once more. I shook my head at the closed door and helped Joey stabilise himself.

“Thanks,” he said once he gained his balance; I didn’t imagine that the oversized black skate shoes he was wearing helped with the balance thing.

“No problem,” I replied.

“Please don’t leave me with him again,” Joey faked a pout, I laughed.

“Promise,” I said, grinning. Joey’s eyes narrowed at me as he sniffed the air in my direction.

“You smell like fries,” he pointed out suspiciously.

“Yeah? What’s it to you Jordison?” I shot back jokingly, crossing my arms and striking the best ‘I-dare-you-to-get-up-in-my-grill’ pose.

“Nothing...it just makes me hungry,” he smiled; my arms dropped to my side.

“Didn’t you guys eat?” I enquired.

“Nah…I think I’ll go raid the mini bar but, then call it a night,” he replied.

“Sounds like a good plan…I’ll see you tomorrow then,” I said, thinking that the idea of sleeping sounded pretty good.

“I guess so, goodnight,” he said, stepping forward he engulfed me quickly in a hug; I felt a little lightheaded.

“Night,” I replied quietly. Turning, I started to walk down the hallway towards my room when I felt him grab my hand.

“Hey wait…” he called. I twisted around to look at him as he let go of my hand. "So...um…” he started, suddenly looking really uncomfortable; I cocked my brow.

“So…you know when Corey said before that we're too lazy to get our acts together...do you think that’s true?" he mumbled, avoiding eye contact with me.

"Ah...I don't really know what you mean…" I answered slowly, though I did have a very good idea where he was going and it was making me feel like my airways were closing up.

"Just like...do you think Corey wants us to get together?" he reworded, shuffling on the spot. I almost chocked, completely taken away by the question. Why would he care what Corey thought? Actually, more to the point, why would he even be considering Corey’s suggestion? I really felt like fainting.

"I think he was just joking around," I answered as normally as my quivering insides would allow. It took every ounce of energy I had just to get those words out; so much so that I wasn’t even sure what I was saying, it just came out. Joey’s eyes flicked up to mine briefly and he frowned, I realised then in panic that I evidently hadn’t said the right thing.

"But like I don't think he'd have a problem with it, he'd just kick your ass if he felt the need to go into overprotective mode," I tried quickly, everything just tumbling out of my mouth with no thought. Joey sighed, his shoulders hunched over a little.

"Yeah...that's what I thought," he said quietly, sounding depressively resolute. He looked back up at me this time and retained eye contact. "Goodnight then," he said, spinning on his foot and stalking down the hallway before I could reply. I really did not understand this guy, or why what I had said seemed to have been wrong. I wondered if everything would be this confusing if we were actually together.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I got bothered making a new banner hehe. Also, I'm not sure I ever posted this on here...but I did this artwork ages ago (it's Joey and..well...some girl lol) http://fangwhore.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d38insk

As always, thank you thank you thank you for the amazing comments! You are all spectacular people and I love you =) x