Status: IN PROGRESS

Disasterpiece

Chapter Nine

Image

My breath held tightly in my throat as the memory faded from my mind, Mr. blue eyes grinned sideways at me and tilted his head, there was a sparkle in his eyes that said he recognised me too, but apparently this was a secret for only us.

“Nice to meet you VJ,” he said smugly.

“Yeah you too, er…” I paused; Corey hadn’t said what his name was.

“Joey,” he helped, then turned his attention away from me and back to the guys. “Well I plan on getting absolutely wasted tonight now we have all the supplies,” he said to them. Paul exclaimed happily and pushed forward to direct Joey towards the BBQ area, where he had evidently set up some kind of bong-making area. I watched them quietly as they retreated without another glance at the rest of us, a feeling I couldn’t describe began to course through me, my heart began to race and I began to feel clammy.

“This is going to be some reunion,” I caught James muttering to the others in amusement.

“Bring it on!” Corey cheered loudly.

The stars were shining bright in the sky above us; the night was the most gorgeous blend of purple and black that I have ever seen. I lay on my back with my legs dangling over the edge of the pool, spinning around slowly in the watery depths. Beside me lay Josie; she had been out for the count a long time ago, but it didn’t bother me – it was peaceful just to lie here listening to the dying sounds of the guys catching up. I let out a deep breath and closed my eyes, I hadn’t felt this relaxed for a long time, even though an inevitable decision still weighed on my shoulders; it was as if being here temporarily lifted it right off.

“If she throws up in my pool when she wakes up you and Corey get to pay for a refill,” a voice came from above, I opened my eyes and saw Joey sitting down beside me, beer in hand. I sat up as my heart began to race and looked down at Josie who looked extremely happy with wherever her drunken dreams had taken her.

“Corey invited her, plus he’s got the money,” I replied. “But just because I like this pool and don’t want it to be tainted, I will try and make sure she doesn’t throw up in it,” I added with a grin, which Joey mimicked. We sat in silence for a while, the strange feeling that I had had before started to build up inside me, this was one of those awkward situations I had wanted to avoid – and had managed until now.

“So,” Joey cleared his throat, I raised my eyebrow and looked at him, I sure as hell couldn’t think of anything to say to him, but seeing us he came over here I was hoping he had something. “I didn’t know Corey had a sister, he’s never really mentioned anyone except his Mom,” he said conversationally; I almost exhaled a laugh, so we were starting with basics.

“Yeah well technically we aren’t related anymore,” I answered with a shrug, I wasn’t going to give him anymore than he needed to know, if Corey wanted to tell them then fine; but I relived all of that once this week and that’s enough for the rest of my life.

“That would kind of explain it I guess, how come we haven’t met you before now then?” he asked curiously as he took a swig from his bottle. I bit my lip and looked down into the water – watching the ripples swim around my legs.

“Loss of contact, it was really a chance reunion,” I said slowly, hoping that he picked up that there was no more information about this situation coming from my mouth.

“Ah, well that’s lucky then – do you live around here?” he asked, I almost wished we already new each other so he could stop with the questions, I hated answering questions more than anything…well more than a lot of other things, and this new feeling wasn’t helping in the least.

“Yeah…” I began to reply, but then an idea popped into my head. “I live near Holy Cross Cemetery, you know it?” I asked deviously, Joey grinned and shook his head slowly.

“You’re smart I’ll give you that, I was working up to it and you just dive right in,” he chuckled; I smiled and flicked my hair falsely.

“It’s a gift, but can I ask what I am diving into?” I asked, Joey looked up at the sky then back to me, putting his beer bottle down he shuffled himself so he was facing me almost front on, if I wasn’t mistaken I would say there was excitement somewhere in his eyes; the strange feeling inside me was getting almost unbearable now.

“Well if I’m mistaken, which I rarely am, the cemetery isn’t a place of choice for most people to hang out in,” he said carefully; my heart began to race, I could feel the blood running to my face – I was thankful that it was dark. I stopped moving my legs around in the water and gripped the edge of the pool tightly – no one except Josie and Uncle Frank knew about my special place, though I had a suspicious feeling that Josie had told Daniel, but he was still more familiar to me than Joey.

“Are you asking me a question?” I replied quietly, Joey narrowed his eyes and turned back around to face the water.

“If you don’t want to answer…” he said dejectedly, I swallowed and sighed.

“You need to ask me a question first,” I replied, he glanced sideways at me and shuffled back around to face me.

“What is a girl like you doing in a cemetery, you didn’t exactly look like you were visiting anyone…the whole empty grave in front of you and everything?” he asked, I gripped the pools edge until I could feel the little engrained pebbles digging into my skin, since when are guys that observant anyway? I knew that there was no way in hell I was going to tell him my real reason for been there, but he had just ripped my backup plan from under my feet.

“Corey and I use to live in the house next door…since I can’t exactly go and sit in the backyard I just look over at it from the cemetery,” I breathed out quickly, it wasn’t a lie either; it just wasn’t the real reason I was at the cemetery.

“Oh,” Joey said, I couldn’t mistake the disappointment in his voice this time; but why?

“What about you, what business does a rock star have in a lowly cemetery?” I asked, Joey rolled his eyes and picked up his beer. After sculling the rest of the contents he stood and looked down at me, I noticed that his pupils were still affected from the nights weed binge.

“I was visiting my Mom,” he said, then he leant down and put his hands on my shoulders. Before I had a second to react to his action I found myself been pushed backwards into the pool, a loud splashing sound echoing around the backyard as I broke the surface. When I came back up I heard laughter, but not just from Joey, I looked towards the patio and found the rest of the guys that were still awake laughing too.

After spluttering a few times I managed to hiss and grab onto the pools edge, hoisting myself up quickly I latched onto Joey’s leg and pulled. A yell and another loud splash were heard as he fell, beer bottle and all into the water beside me. A sadistic laugh passed through my lips as he came up a few feet away from me, his hair was soaked and stuck tightly down the sides of his face, he snarled angrily, but before he got to retort he was interrupted.

“Pool party dudes!” Sid squealed, running from the chair he had passed out in early he jumped into the water between Joey and I – which was probably lucky because the look on either of our faces was murderous.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, so my one shots have disappeared =s

Gah. Confusion.