Status: Finished.

Paper Cranes

Chapter One

Elizabeth

I love the rain. I love how it crashes against the window with steady rhythms and how the drops race each other to the sill. I love how the sky lights up with surprising flashes of light, but most importantly, I loved the feel. I love absolutely everything about it. I only wish I could touch it.

The door clicked open, but I didn't pay attention to it. I didn't want to.

"Elizabeth," came the voice of the nurse as she attempted to get my attention. Sure, her tone was kind enough but I could tell – no – I knew that she was forcing herself to sound like that. So I ignored her. She's not as important as the rain.

"Elizabeth," she repeated, this time letting the irritation slip past. It was only for less than a second, but I caught it.

I didn't even flinch when she took a firm grasp on my shoulder. Instead, I just let my eyes scan the outside world. A world in which I was not allowed.

"Elizabeth, are you seriously ignoring me?" she asked, this time not bothering to cover up the frustration. I turned and smiled at her.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" I asked her, pretending as if I didn't remember. My unknown illness causes me to forget things. Yes, I 'forget' things a lot.

A smile, as fake as they come, spread across her near flawless face.

"Cathy," she said, "Your nurse." I returned her fake smile because I knew she wanted me to. They always wanted me to.

"It's time for your check-up," she told me, letting her hand fall from my shoulder as she rolled the metal cart closer.

"More needles?" I shuddered, looking at the medical supplies she had brought with her. She gave me a sympathetic look.

"I know taking blood stings, but it's what we have to do," she said before reassuring that it wouldn't be that bad. She used a rubbing alcohol pad to clean the area of where the needle would break skin.

I winced as I felt the small metallic rod being forced into my arm. I could feel the small amount of blood being drawn into the plastic cylinder.

"There! All done!" Cathy smiled with satisfaction. I turned back to the window, and stared at the stars shining through the breaking clouds.

"What time is it?" I asked, not daring to look away from the sky.

"Oh, it's about nine o'clock or so," Cathy said, preparing to leave, "Would you like me to get you anything?"

"Can you hand me that paper by the TV, please?" I asked, staring at the racing raindrops as they dashed down window. "Oh, and the pen, too."

I felt both objects fall into my lap and for the first time that day, I genuinely smiled.

Brendon

"Now I'm of consenting age to be forgetting you in a cabaret. Somewhere downtown where a burlesque queen may even ask my name. As she sheds her skin on stage – I'm seated and sweating to a dance song on the club's P.A. The strip joint veteran sits two away, smirking between dignified sips of his dignified peach and lime daiquiri." I sang as my fingers danced across the piano keys.

The sweat plastered my hair to my forehead, cooling me off just a little as I sat at the piano on stage. The lights were warm as they shone on me and the others. The screaming of the fans muffled by the earplugs wedged in my ears.

This is what being a celebrity was like.

The song ended. The concert ended. The night was practically over.

We, Jon, Spencer, Ryan and I, met our fans for an hour or so before we lounged.

"That guy was flirting with you dude!" Spencer laughed at Ryan.

"That was a girl!" Ryan defended.

"That was a guy!" Jon laughed.

"Sorry, kid!" Spencer laughed.

"It's true, Ry," I said, forcing a smile. I've been doing that a lot lately.

Ryan paled, and everyone laughed good-heartedly. I managed a few chuckles.

My cell phone rang. Mom.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Brendon? I need you to come home as soon as possible!" she frantically said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Meh, tell me what you think!
:]
♥ Loser