Status: Finished.

Paper Cranes

Chapter Eighteen

Elizabeth

When I woke up the next morning, my nose was stuffed up and my eyes were sore. It was a terrible feeling. My mind was so cloudy I may have forgotten my name for a bit.

I'll admit, it felt strange waking up by myself. On my own. Lately Brendon was the one waking me up in various ways, and I'll admit, I missed it. Even if we've only known each other for a week or so. But who's counting? Certainly not me...I swear.

Cathy didn't come in until twelve or so. Right now, it was nine o'clock. So on this rare occasion, I turned on the TV.

Flipping through the channels, I landed on MTV, I think, just as they were introducing a band. Panic on the Dance Floor, was it? I really don't know, I changed the channel when girls started screaming. It was giving me an migraine.

I finally decided to watch some show about a bunch of teenagers dealing with over-dramatic situation. Talk about Soap Operas. Degarassi, or whatever it's called, was actually very mind vacuuming, if you ask me. Before I knew it, three hours had passed and Cathy was wheeling in a cart of brunch.

For some reason, I can't stomach food after just waking up. Something about not being adjusted to it or something. It's kind of retarded if you ask me.

"When was the last time you turned that thing on?" Cathy asked, setting up the table.

"Two years. But who's counting?"

Cathy smiled at me with much warmth.

She watched me eat, but chewing caused my jaws to cramp after the first twelve or so bites, so I stopped.

"What's wrong?" Cathy asked, looking concerned. She wasn't just looking concerned, she was concerned.

"Nothing. It's nothing. It just...hurts a little. I'll be fine."

"You sure?"

"Positive."

"Okay, but if it hurts again, just push the button."

"Okay."

"Oh, and Elle, I keep forgetting to ask," Cathy said as she opened the door, "What do you want for your birthday?"

"Nothing!" I told her right away, "Nothing at all!"

"Fine," she sighed before closing the door. I flipped through the channels.

A woman with a fish tank on her head caught my attention. It took me a second to realize that America wasn't desperate enough to make a TV show out of a civilization of fish tank heads. It was just a music video, and therefore seemed very unimportant. I changed the channel just as the woman dropped a goldfish into her tank. That was enough for me.

Brendon

"When will it be over?" I groaned, dragging my feet as we walked into the radio station , "I just want to sleep!"

"Brendon, in case you forgot, this is your job!" Spencer said, annoyed by my groaning and moaning.

"I don't see why we have to go to all of these interviews! I mean, Jon's not even here!" I complained.

"Don't use Jon as an excuse," Ryan replied, irritated.

"Who said I was using Jon as an-"

"We're not stupid, Brendon," Ryan cut me off, "We know why you don't want to do the interviews."

"Ooh, free donuts!" Spencer took the excuse to leave Ryan and I to argue. Again.

"Oh, yeah? And why is that?"

"You just want to go see that girl," Ryan said with so much...venom, I guess you could call it.

"Okay, one – that 'girl' has a name. It's a Elizabeth. And, two – you don't even know her."

I couldn't even begin to tell you how proud I was of myself for standing up for Ellie. I mean, it felt beyond awesome.

"Brendon, have you ever come to think that maybe I don't want to know her? Has that ever crossed your mind?"

"Why do you hate her so much?!"

"I don't hate her!"

"Okay, then, why do you not like her?"

"You're being paranoid."

"I am not!"

"You are such a liar. She got to you, didn't she? You're scared of her."

"I'm not sc-"

"Then tell me the truth!"

Ryan
(Just for the hell of it - again)

Yeah, Ryan, tell him the truth, that little voice hissed at me.

"You want the truth? Well, Brendon the truth is-"

Tell him so he'll never speak to you again. Tell why you hate poor little hospitalized Elizabeth, you selfish bastard.

Brendon looked at me expectantly.

"The truth is..." I sighed, "You're my best friend, Bren. We used to do everything together. Now, it's like, you can't wait to get away from me. I feel...replaced."

Good job, that voice, which I am now naming It, said sarcastically, Now you're a cowardly selfish bastard. Way to go, loser.

"Aww, Ryro, that's all it was?!" Brendon was glowing with relief, "God, I'm not replacing you, Ryan!"

"Then why are you always at that hospital?"

"Because Ellie's my friend just as much as you are and I really like her. A lot," Brendon said, unable to control the smile on his face. It...stung, at the very least.

"I'll tell you what, tonight we'll do something. I don't know what, but something! But, for right now, we have an interview! So come on!"

You are such a coward, It shook its head.

What am I? Crazy?
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I'm a procrastinator. So sue me.
I've also been working on this other story...
But, anyway, I've got two huge thank you'sss!
1...to my cousin, for helping with this chapter.
2...to See., for putting this story in her signature.
I saw that and was like, "Whhhaaattt???"
3...to all of my subscribers for giving me eight stars.
4...to all of my commenters for saying really sweet things.
5...and to all the readers, who actually take the time to read the crap that I write.
(No specific order)
You guys are awesome, and I love you!
lol
Annyywaayyss, now we all know why Ryan doesn't like Elizabeth all that much..
And did you see how close she was to learning Brendon's so-called 'secret'??
Oh-la-la!
♥♥Loser
(165 Readers; 62 Subscribers; 59 Comments)
You guys are the best!