Status: Finished.

Paper Cranes

Chapter Three

Elizabeth

I stared blankly at the origami bird in my hand. The wind rustled through the ones over head, as trying to help them fly away.

The abrupt, unfamiliar intake of breath pulled me away from thoughts.

"Can I help you?" I asked the rather tall brunette whom stood in my doorway. But what do I know about height, anyway? Everyone looks tall to me. I'm in a hospital bed, five feet off the ground.

"This...this is just...amazing!" he said, a starry look in his eyes as he stared at the ceiling, "All of the colors and the patterns!"

I know I should have blushed from such a comment, from such a person. Maybe I should have said 'thank you'. But I didn't. So I did the next best thing.

I laughed.

And then I went into a coughing fit.

Brendon

I panicked. What was I supposed to do? I rushed into the room and helped the girl sit up. Her coughs were loud and throaty, like an old man or woman's. Her entire body shook violently, her eyes were clenched shut.

"Nurse!" I called frantically. Almost instantly, a few nurses rushed in, prying the hacking girl away from me. I watched as they practically slapped a mask on her round face. Steam rose from the mask, and the patient began to cough less and less until all that was heard from her was soft breathing.

I have never felt more relieved in my life.Honestly, this is better than when that girl's pregnancy test came up negative!

"Sir, would you mind stepping out for a second?" the blonde nurse asked.

"Why?" I asked, defensively.

"It's actually time for her bath. I don't believe she'll appreciate you seeing her. Especially since you don't know her."

"How do you know I don't know her."

The nurse smiled down at the girl, who had fallen asleep from the medication.

"She only gets two or three visits a month."