Love as Fiction

Short Story

Once upon a time, in the deepest slump of New York City, but in a nice apartment; there lived a man by the name of Donavon James. He has one of the worlds biggest collection of antiques, but people don’t know it just yet. His idea of a great day is to go out for a walk on the streets, and visit the finest antiques shops in all Manhattan. Donavon only owns antiques; his cars, refrigerator, tables, etc. he absolutely loves antiques over everything else. The only problem is not many girls in Manhattan dig guys who only have low tech stuff. The main character gets his luck turned around. It’s Valentine’s Day, the day of love and romance.

Donavon hates Valentine’s Day because he can’t ever get a date. Plus he is kind of afraid of women, and he can never think of what to say. This year he decided to just not even try to ask anyone out. On his way home, Donavan saw this old vintage television set, like from the 50s or 60s. So he decided to take it home and see if it still works. When Donavan got home he hooked up the old T.V. set, and everything worked.
Except one thing; the remote control, or clicker as it was called back then.

So Donavan tried a newer clicker and what happened was so epic that it is hard to explain the whole thing in this story. Right when Donovan hit the power button, he was sucked into the vintage T.V. like a vacuum would suck up dirt. Confused, stumped, and freaked out, Donavan was in a world that only we can see if we turn on the television set. Donavan had the power to actually be in the shows, and to channel surf, literally. If he was watching a cartoon like Scooby Doo or Looney Tunes, he would be in that show as a cartoon, and he would be a cartoon in that show. If he was watching a sitcom like Seinfeld or Boy Meets World , he would be in that show. And the cool thing is it’s all real to him, and he can be a character on the shows.

Now don’t get to excited, it’s not that amazing. “Welcome to Panic, the show of fear and laughter” said the announcer. “Panic” was Donavan’s favorite show; he watched it every week. One of the main reasons he watched was for this girl who was exactly like him on the show. “ Oh my god I can’t believe I’m on the show Panic! This is amazing!” said Donavan. The girl in the show is played by one of the hottest actresses in Hollywood, Splenda Deville, but in the show she is Talia Angel. Talia loved old fashion stuff like cars and toys.

“Hi Donny, are we still going out tonight” said Taila to Donavan. “Um…….oh yea definitely, I would love to still go out with you” said Donavan. “Hey Talia, who is this nut ball? Hey buddy what you doing wit my lady?” said Terry, Talia’s ex- boyfriend. “Terry your not my boyfriend anymore” said Talia. Terry started to run towards Donavan and Talia, screaming at the top of his lungs. As they we running, both Talia and Donavan jumped out of the T.V. set. So now Talia was in Donavan’s world, which is not a good thing. Donavan and Talia ran all the way to the city dump, were Donavan works.

What happened is when the two vintage loving people left the show it created a rift in space and time. So now characters from T.V. can come to the real world which is what Terry did. He followed Talia and Donavan to the real world. Wondering where she is, Talia asked “ Donny, where are we?” “This is Manhattan my home town and this is my neighborhood” said Donavan. For the Rest of Valentine’s Day, Donavan showed Talia around. He took her to some or the best places in NYC. He took her to Time Square, Liberty Island, Rockefeller Center, and to see the Empire State Building.

When they got back to Donavan’s place, they got a surprise. Terry was waiting for them with a gun in his right hand. “You think you can get away that easily” said Terry. But Terry was not the only problem, because since Talia and Terry are in the real world it ruins the real world. See when a character comes out of the T.V. the actors that play those roles start to vanish. Splenda, who plays Talia has done more for the world then anything, and Jackson Mills, who plays Terry, is governor of California now, has also done a lot. The scary part about that is Terry knows.

So he planned to stay in the real world until midnight which was the deadline. “Terry we are broken up and you cheated on me plus you killed the girl you cheated on me with, you’re sick!” said Talia. “Well I guess I will just have to kill both of you then” said Terry. So Donavan and Terry fought for a while, and Donavan gave Terry a right hook and knocked him out. “Get the hell out of my world, you twisted son of a bitch” said Donavan while cuffing Terry with some toy hand cuffs, and Chinese finger cuffs. Donavan threw Terry in the rip in the T.V. and waved good bye. “ So I guess this is good-bye then,” said Talia.

“ I can’t let you go; I will never find any one like you in my world.” “ I have to go if I don’t then your world will be corrupted” said Talia. So as Talia went back into the T.V. set they both said their long good byes, and sealed it with a kiss. After that Donavan had more confidence in himself. He even had a girl friend who he would soon propose to. But he will never forget Talia his first love. His first broadcasted love will be with him forever.

THE END