Let's Not Ask Why It's Not Right

;01

In all of my sixteen years, four months, two weeks and three days in existing on this planet I’d realised three things.

The first was that my life was never going to be like how it was in the books I read. The easy romantic life, the big problems getting solved so simply, the happiness of the characters and the happily ever after. Nope. None of that for me. None of that for Kaitlin Avery Mitchell.

Secondly, I was going to die. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But eventually I would. I know. As morbid as it sounds, it lets me focus on what I want. What I want and need to achieve in this life. No second chances. I’ve just got to grab life and shake the hell out of it. Death is the only thing I could count on. Not what I was having for dinner that night or what I would watch on television that night. It was the only thing I was sure of in this life.

The third and final thing being was that no matter what, I should never get attached to my surroundings. Don’t get attached to people, don’t get in a routine. Why you ask? Well, I believe I’ve seen more of America then Christopher Columbus. I’ve lived in seventeen different states. Ever since my dad died when I was nine, my mother has been searching the ‘one’. Oh, you know. She’s been trying to fill the void of emptiness. With not much luck mind you. Something always goes wrong. Actually, there’s something always wrong with them. Don’t get me wrong, most of the guys she meets are pretty awesome. Like Jack the trucker dude. But guess what. He was supposedly too 'clingy'.

“C’mon Kaitlin. Think of this as another adventure,” my mother smiled while quickly glancing over at me before turning her attention back to the road.

“Oh right. How many adventures is this now Mom?” I asked, giving her one of my infamous faces.

“Katie…,” she warned.

“Oh don’t Katie me. An adventure Mom! An adventure is where we go out have fun and return home. Return home Mom! But no. We don’t do that!”

“Okay, well kiddo, you know it’s not my fault. And this time will be different, I’m sure of it.”

“You’re sure of it?”

“I promise,” she nodded.

“Right. I’ve heard that before,” I muttered under my breath, putting my feet up on the dashboard and slouching back into the chair, “What’s this one’s name anyway?”

“His name is Tim. You’ll just love him,” my mother smiled.

I nodded and turned my iPod on, fixing the headphones in my ears. So here we are. Travelling down the highway, blasting Jimi Hendrix into my ears. This would mean a new school to attend and leave, new friends to meet and leave them. Just like her clothes, I was just another object that got dragged along for the ride. I saw my mother’s lips move and I just gave a nod, not hearing or caring about what she said. I turned my attention to the passing scenery.

I hope she really did mean that promise this time.

I really do.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think I'm going to enjoy writing this :)