Let's Not Ask Why It's Not Right

;12

I stared across the cafeteria at the table where Kaitlin sat, surrounded by giggling, chattering girls. How the hell did someone so shy manage to make so many friends on her first day of school?

...Oh, right, she was friends with Tay. That kind of explained it.

Amanda, a girl from my algebra class, slid into the seat next to me.

"Back to school party tonight, my house," she said to Nick, Chris, Mike and I. "Bring your new sister," she added, grinning at me.

"No problem," I replied. There's no better way to start out the school year than showing up for the second day with a hangover, right? But at least it would give me a chance to hang out with Kaitlin. And who knows, maybe when we're both drunk, certain things like relation by marriage won't matter as much...

Okay, bad thought, bad thought. I shook my head, slightly disgusted with myself.

I caught up to Kaitlin and Tay as they were leaving the school that afternoon.

"You girls going to Amanda's party?" I asked, putting an arm around each of their shoulders. Kaitlin laughed and ducked away. Tay tried to trip me.

"I'm not going," she said. "I promised myself I was going to be responsible this year. Which means I'll be home doing my history homework instead of out partying." She made a face.

"Right," I smirked. "How long is that promise going to last?"

She grinned. "The guys are taking bets on it. Nick has the most faith in me; he bet on two whole weeks."

I laughed. "We all know he's gonna lose, then."

She flipped her middle finger at me.

"How about you, Kaitlin? Amanda told me to invite you."

She bit her lip. "I don't know, Ty. Parties aren't really my thing."

I gave her my cutest sad puppy dog eyes and pout combination. "Please? It'll be lonely without you!"

She laughed. "Nick can keep you company."

I stopped walking. Kaitlin stopped too. "What are you doing?"

Ignoring her question, I got down on one knee in front of her and took her hand.

"Kaitlin, if you don't come to this party, my heart will be broken and I'll die a miserable, painful, lonely death." I grabbed a dandelion from the school's lawn and handed it to her. She giggled.

"You're an idiot." She patted me on the head and smiled. "But... I suppose I'll go to the party."

I grinned, and resisted the urge to hug her.

"Where's Kaitlin?" Chris yelled over the music.

"She went to get another drink," I replied.

He shook his head. "I just came from the kitchen, dude. She's not there."

"She probably found someone to talk to," I said, scanning the room. There was no sign of her anywhere.

"We'll look for her," I said, grabbing Nick's hand and pulling him with me.

"I'll check the backyard," I said to him. "You check the basement."

He nodded, and headed downstairs. I opened the back door, pushing my way through the group of people sharing joints. Besides the smokers, the yard was empty. I headed back inside.

"She's not downstairs," Nick said.

"She's not outside, either."

"She must be upstairs."

"If she's up there getting molested, I am going to be in so much trouble." Especially because I'd break anyone's face if they hurt her.

I headed up the stairs, where I found Kaitlin in the bathroom, being violently sick into the toilet. I crouched down beside her and held back her hair for her.

"Are you okay?" I asked when she was done. "Did anyone hurt you?"

She shook her head. "No, I'm okay," she said softly. "I feel like shit, though." She half-smiled.

I pulled her into a hug. "Let's get you home," I said. She nodded and let me lead her downstairs and out of the house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha, I know parties are kinda overused in fanfiction stories, but oh well :P