Let's Not Ask Why It's Not Right

;26

As I walked home, I kept thinking about what Tay had said.

It's not as bad as who Kaitlin likes.

Who could Kaitlin like? Not Nick, because Tay liked Nick, and that would mean that it was as bad as who Kaitlin liked. Mike or Chris? They weren't that bad. What other guys was Kaitlin even friends with? Or was it a guy that she wasn't friends with? Maybe it was just some guy who sat next to her in biology or something. Ugh, too many possibilities. I'd have to ask her myself.

When I got home, her shoes were in the doorway. Good, she hadn't gone off with Tay somewhere. I headed down the hall to her room and knocked on the door.

"Come in," she called. I opened the door. She was on the phone. She looked up at me and mouthed the words, "just a second." I sat down on her bed while I waited for her to finish.

"I gotta go, Tay. Tyson's here."

Pause.

"It's okay, just don't do it again, okay?"

Pause.

"Love you too. Talk to you later."

Pause.

"Bye, Tay."

She hung up the phone. "What's up, Ty?"

"Nothing much. I'm just curious, who do you like?"

"I can't tell you," she said.

I did my best pout. "Pleeeeeeaaaaaaaaase?"

She laughed. "Alright, fine." She beckoned for me to come closer, then leaned in.

My heart started pounding. Was she...?

She leaned even closer, then whispered in my ear, "it's a secret."

She giggled. I sighed.