Let's Not Ask Why It's Not Right

;40

Nick kept glancing at me, trying to read my expression.

"What, Ty?" he said finally.

"Uh... what what?" I asked lamely.

"You haven't said anything in the last ten minutes. You look like you're thinking about something. What's up?"

I sighed. "Fine. Nick, you're my best friend and I love you, but I can't keep spending all my time with you. I'm neglecting my other friends, and even my girlfriend, to hang out with you. I know it's hard to have your parents divorce, but do you really need this much comforting? Go talk to Mike or Chris, go hang out with Tay, just go do something to get your mind off of this instead of dwelling on it all the time."

After a few seconds, Nick nodded. "Okay. Sorry, Tyson." He got up off my bed and headed for the door without looking back.

"Nick, wait," I said, following him into the hallway. He stopped and turned around.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound that harsh. I just need some time with Kaitlin, okay? And I bet spending some time with Tay would make you feel a lot better too."

He nodded. "Okay."

I hugged him tightly. Two seconds later, I pulled away as Kaitlin stormed down the hallway toward her room.

"Kaitlin?" I called after her. She ignored me, entering her room and slamming the door behind her.

"I'll go, I guess," Nick said. He hugged me again quickly and headed down the hallway in the opposite direction, toward the front door.

I approached Kaitlin's room and knocked on her door.

"What do you want?" she demanded. I took that as permission to come in, and I opened the door.

Kaitlin was sitting on the floor, folding clothes and placing them in a box.

"Going somewhere?" I asked, eyeing the box in confusion.

"Yes," she said, not looking at me.

"Uh.... where?" I asked, trying again to make conversation.

"They haven't told you yet?"

"Who haven't told me what?"

She was silent for a second. "Our parents are getting a divorce," she said, keeping her voice cold and emotionless. "My mother and I are leaving as soon as she can find a house to rent somewhere else."

"You're leaving Stillwater?" I asked, dreading the answer.

"Yes. We're probably leaving fucking Oklahoma for all I know." Her voice cracked a little.

"You can't!"

"I don't have a choice, Tyson."

"Aren't you even going to try to talk her out of it?"

"What's the point?" she cried, finally looking at me. "Why should I make her unhappy? I was happy here for a while, but now you're ignoring me for Nick, so why does it matter whether I stay or go? No one's going to miss me here." Her eyes were sparkling with tears.

"Kaitlin, you know that's not true," I said softly. "If you leave, I'll miss you more than anything. And Tay will miss you, too. And so will Nick."

Her expression, which had been starting to soften, became a scowl again when I mentioned Nick.

"I told Nick that I can't spend all my time with him," I added hurriedly. "I told him that I need to spend more time with you. He left a few minutes ago. I really have missed you, Katie. I just didn't want to hurt his feelings."

She sighed and nodded. "Okay," she said softly. I sat down on the floor beside her to give her a hug.

"But I'm still moving," she said. "Mom's probably looking for house rentals in Arizona or something right now."

"Tell her that you want to stay here. There's houses for rent in Stillwater."

"She'll want to get as far away from here as possible."

"Katie, you have to stand up for what you want eventually, otherwise she'll put you through this over and over again. Just try. The worst she can do is say no."

Kaitlin was silent for a few seconds. "Okay," she said finally. "I'll tell her."
♠ ♠ ♠
Lalalalalala :D