Let's Not Ask Why It's Not Right

;42

Reading her note was the most painful thing I'd ever experienced. Knowing that she was gone, but not knowing where, or even if I'd ever see her again, hurt like hell. Without her, I would probably grow up to be a lonely old man with fifty cats who tries to seduce the mailman every day or something.

My dad seemed to be taking the divorce much better than I was. At least he was going out tonight with his friends, while I was curled up in Nick's arms for most of the afternoon, repeating over and over again how much I missed her already. At least he would be passed out drunk on someone's couch tonight, while I'd be in bed crying my eyes out.

I picked up my phone, praying that Kaitlin had texted me back and I just hadn't heard my phone. She hadn't. I sighed. Maybe she didn't want to talk to me. Maybe she didn't want to be held down by some boyfriend halfway across the country. I sighed again, and noticed that it was almost three a.m. I got up, shut the lights off, and got into bed, without even bothering to take off my jeans.

It was only a few minutes before I felt the tears stinging my eyes and my breathing getting shallow. Just as I was about to snap, I heard the front door slam.

I sat up in confusion. Dad shouldn't be home; he hardly ever went out drinking with his friends, but when he did he usually got home around 6 a.m. It was barely past three. I thought that maybe I should get up to see why he was home, but I really didn't want to move. After a few seconds, I sighed and got up, but before I could even reach for the light switch, my bedroom door opened.

I stared in shock for a good ten seconds before I could make a sound.

"Kaitlin?" I whispered. I couldn't quite believe that she was standing in my doorway. Her hair was windswept and she looked exhausted, but to me she had never looked more beautiful.

"Hi," she whispered back, smiling nervously.

"What are you -" I started to ask, then I changed my mind and pulled her into a hug.

When we pulled away, I sat down on my bed. She sat beside me, and I turned to look at her.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, finishing my question.

"I didn't want to leave you," she said softly. "Mom and I stopped at a motel just a few towns away, and I snuck out while she was sleeping and took a taxi back here. I'm not moving, Tyson. She can't make me."

"You're going to be in trouble," I whispered.

"I don't care," she said, and she kissed me fiercely.

I was finding it hard to care about the consequences too, I realized as I pulled her closer and deepened the kiss. Maybe Kaitlin would have to leave again, and maybe it would hurt even more this time, but at least we still had this night together. One last night wouldn't be enough, not even close to enough to make us both happy, but at least it was something.

It's only us.

It's only now.

It's only tonight.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)